West Bank Dock Widnes England - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
00:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

West Bank Dock Widnes England

User Tag List

Old 1st March 2013, 12:19

Very many thanks, Nick!

All now makes sense, except for the location of the photograph on the left, which doesn't seem to fit with anything at Widnes, 200 metres downstream of Runcorn Bridge?

B
Old 1st March 2013, 12:31

The remnants of that entrance in the picture are still there Barrie along with another entrance 100mts away...if you have a look at one of my earlier posts I attached some pictures showing the one in the photo.

Nick.
Old 1st March 2013, 12:36

Many thanks, Nick.

I can understand that the photograph might show the scene at Widnes on the upstream side of the Bridge. Is that what it is?
Old 3rd March 2013, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
Many thanks, Nick.

That is certainly Vivian Thomas as I remember him.

The photograph on the left, however, does not show West Bank Dock as I knew it. Perhaps the photograph is at the locks etc at the upstream side of Runcorn Bridge, also called "West Bank" on some charts/maps? Or somewhere else altogether? Were the photographs taken in 1999? Surely not? If so, Captain Thomas certainly weathered well! And there were not many coasters of that design left by 1999. My guess is that the photographs were taken much earlier.

Also, are you sure that the Donau was a Dutchman? It is a very German name. Although the ship certainly looks Dutch-built. Similarly, the Master and the Mate look quite extraordinarily smart for trade in that part of the world!

Any further information as to the photographs would be greatly appreciated.

B
The Donau was built in 1953 by A. Apol at Wirdum in Holland, owned by F & T Drijfhout of Delfzijl and managed by Wagenborg. So most definitely a Dutch coaster.
Old 4th March 2013, 00:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
I also remember Vivian Thomas piloting to Anderton. Thanks for the confirmatory photograph.
Old 10th January 2014, 20:24

Capt. Viv Thomas Contrary to reports I remember in another forum, I am pleased to say that Capt Thomas is still with us, I spoke to him today (Jan. 10th 2014). I shall be meeting him on Monday (Jan 13th) - if anybody would like me to pass on their regards I am sure he would be happy to receive them ! Cheers, Neil
Old 10th January 2014, 21:09

Hi, Neil,

Yes, do please give my best wishes to Captain Thomas!

He probably won't remember me but I remember him very well indeed!

Happy days! I hope that he is in good health.

Best wishes,

BY
Old 10th January 2014, 21:16

Thanks Barrie,

It will be my pleasure to do that. Wandering a couple of miles off topic, you haven't got any photos of ships in / off Weston Mersey Lock or any of the other river locks off the MSC have you ? I've never seen such a photo yet and am beginning to wonder if one was ever taken !

Regards
Neil
Old 11th January 2014, 10:25
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjaxe View Post
Its an interesting walk over that side Pat....with the remains of what looks to be a fair sized coaster just above the low water mark and very near the area of the old dock and the remains of its lock gates...it was cut up there for scrap there....would be interested in seeing what it was and its size before they got the gas axe on it....only ever seen plesure craft on that part of the river,

The path that runs along side the river is part of trans Pennine way and leads up to Pickerings pasture if you are familiar,

There is a large monolith with a plaque just the other side of the newish footbridge that crosses Ditton Brook with information on it telling of the last commercial traffic the did come that far up river....would love to have seen those comings and goings.

Nick.
The most inland point on the river was Bridge Foot in Warrington I belive there was a ship breakers there in the late 18c
Old 11th January 2014, 10:41

Actually been up river to bridge foot Alan when I owned a 15ft inflatable many years ago...an interesting ride it was to....went a bit further than bridge foot...to Howley Weir about 0.5ml further,

Seem to remember reading that there was a packet steamer sailed from bridge foot in the 1800s...that must have taken some navigating up the Mersey.

Nick.
Old 11th January 2014, 12:35
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Howley Weir,that brings back memories! mainly of foam from the detergent run off from Lever Brothers about 5 foot high.One of the brewers we use is on Howley Quay.
Northwestern Farmers Mill was adjacent to that weir and caused the area(Howley)to have one of the highest incidence of lung problems in Lancashire.
My OM and his new wife moved to Warrington for a short disastrous time,he left both her and the town.
Old 12th January 2014, 17:40

Happy hunting Nick. I was in West Bank late fifties - Coppack's Normanby Hall with stone dust from the north Wales quarries. Mostly Cooper's barges there then. Remember a pub known as the Sludge Hole - nice time.
Ken Glasdir
Old 12th January 2014, 21:52

Hi Ken,

The Sludge Hole...that sounds nice...did it go by another Name I wonder and where was it in West Bank??

What can you tell me about the opperation of Coopers bardges Ken.

Nick.
Old 31st August 2014, 12:32

Postcard of West Bank Dock

I found an old postcard of West Bank Dock (apparently the same photographer as the previous one I saw on this thread - B Kelsall). I tried to find the location where the original photographer stood, I took a now picture from close by. Then I merged them to show the scene then and now. I also have an image from a 1907 map overlayed on present day google maps to shoe where the dock was. It is now a Tesco distribution warehouse. Actually, on that map I have put a red dot showing where I stood to take the present day picture, and a green dot to show where the postcard photographer stood. Also, I have attached a picture of the dock gates as they were yesterday 30/8/2014
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5049 west bank dock.jpg (386.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg west bank dock photosynth.jpg (253.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Widnes 1907 no alpha slight contrast-12.jpg (338.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 31st August 2014, 12:43

I know which view I would rather have of the choice in picture 1...very sad little remains,

Did you notice the remains of the coaster that is laying just outside what would have been the dock in the river...scrapped quite some time ago....I would love to know something of it...a photo would be great...I expect Sammy Evans may have cut it up.

Nick.
Old 31st August 2014, 14:12

I didn't walk up to the western gate, so I didn't see if the coaster was there still. The western gate must have been constructed after 1907, it isn't shown on the map I have from that time.
Old 4th December 2016, 02:58

An old thread, but more info. Some aero photos of West Bank Dock, Widnes. The dock was "L" shaped, with two gates. The picture of the Dutch coaster earlier in the thread is not in West Bank Dock. There was a long thin reservoir that followed the curved railway viaduct, to top up the dock. There was also one above the old Widnes Dock on the other side of the bridge on Spike Island that was filled in, in the 1930s. This historic dock was unearthed a few feet and filled with water, showings its original quays.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw046911
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/s...oup0/1-0-0.jpg
Old 31st December 2016, 15:58
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 1963

Hi Nick,
I have just come across your post and it brought back fond memories of my visits to Westbank in Widnes both during and after the war. My mother was born and raised in the area (Wright Street ) and I used to visit my grand parents , uncle, aunts and cousins.
Would you believe that was a "holiday" in those times?
A cousin of mine, who was a real dare devil, used to take me into the docks and show off by climbing aboard a vessel, clamber up a mast and then dive into the dock! He later became a rugby league player for Widnes and was team captain one season. His father was I believe, a skipper on one of the coasters using the dock.
Thanks for bring back these memories.
Old 6th May 2020, 19:18

Long time since I last visited this thread...2 posts I have not seen before.

Many thanks to Waterways and Flintite.

Those areial photos are fantastic.

I did enjoy reading all the posts again.

Biggish tide on the river today...from my house on the side of Runcorn hill I can see quite a bit of the river inc they old West Bank Dock Area.

Hope all the contributors are all safe and well.

Nick.

email nickjaxe at ntlworld.com