Connell House, Singapore - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
12:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Connell House, Singapore

User Tag List

Old 28th June 2007, 21:46

My location
Was CH the place also known as "the Brit club" or am I thinking of somewhere else. I seem to remember it had a fantastic swimming pool and the " Tigers " used to go down really well. I`m sure someone can put me right on this!
Old 3rd September 2007, 00:09

My location
I often visited CH & the swimming pool when I was based at S'pore - we were standing-by on a Cable & wireless repairship on a 2-year commission, with wives & families provided with shore accommodation in large houses complete with a young Amah (mine trained to make the perfect Rum & coke) Ship only left port occasionally, and wages were tax free and at a special exchange rate - a dream "seafaring job!"
I also remember a bar down the road from CH - think it was called Toby's Seaman's Paradise. If that was paradise, give me hell any day!
I could fill a book with memoirs of experiences in Bugis Street.........
Old 3rd September 2007, 05:27

My location
Connell House

Stayed at CH '61 as a very new J/E with BI, nearly a fortnight waiting for the Chyebassa.Can remember Alice at the Guan Guan Bar and ice cold Heineken.
There was some incident on a Shell tanker and the crew were kicked off and stayed there overnight.Police in the alleyways all night, just in case they said.
I knocked around with a couple of blokes from the Shell tankers that used to do the islands around there.
Later sailed on the Aussie coast (Australian Progress) with a C/E who had 30 odd years on the island tankers, can't remember his name but he was an "unusual" gentleman,though a good Chief.
Robbo37
Old 15th August 2008, 01:03

The Straits Cabaret

I am trying to find some information on the Straits Cabaret Singapore. I was there 56-57. and remember it to be full of taxi dancers also The Boustead Mission, a good place for a haircut.
Can anyone help Jim Morrison
Old 15th August 2008, 07:39

Of course Singapore has changed beyond all recognition - and continues to do so at an alarming rate!

I have seen photos of the British Club but have not heared of Connell House before. Can somebody give an address or tell me where it was?

Sadly, I do not recognise any of the other names mentioned here either!!

McC
Old 15th August 2008, 08:08

Connell House brings back so many memories. Visited very often in 1955/56 during time on "Ensis". A few glorious days waiting for a flight home.
Marvellous times
Bert.
Old 15th August 2008, 16:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehowden View Post
Just remembered, I was staying in Connell House on 22 November 1963, the day that President Kennedy was assasinated.I had left the GARI and was waiting to join the RITA, both Shell Tankers.
I remember Connell House well. I the sixties it was usually the startingpoint for a night out. Things generally went doenill after that usually ending up in Toby's on the way back to the ship.

I was also in Singapore on the day that Kenneday was assassinated on Benvrackie, Remember the second Engineer at the time appearing in my cabin still dressed in his towel to tell me though I cant remember who he was.
Old 15th August 2008, 16:51

as said previous it was the place to go on your day off I was there every trip twix 55-58 pool was a great place to be with a beer but as I was only 16 at the time I was only allowed one the crew always stayed very close to the young lads Regards
Old 18th August 2008, 14:57
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 1979

Connel House Singapore

We flew out to Singapore on a Comet Aircraft from London in February 1961 to join the MV Riverbank, when we arrived, the agent told us the ship was delayed by five days and the full ships crew (Officers) were put in Connel House. What a great place, good food, fantastic pool. What a great time we all had, will never forget Connel house Singapore.
Old 21st October 2008, 07:45

My location
Visited Connell House in 67 (BenMacdhui) and 68 (Inverbank); my wife still has a cheongsam I bought in the little shop at the front of the building! Never paid for a drink as I took 'dares' to dive off the high board which was great fun. (The Flying Angel at Dar es Salaam had a similar one).
Was very disappointed when I went back in 1980 (Mary R Koch, d/d at Sembawang) and found the place was no more and the mission was reduced to a couple of rented rooms miles from the docks.
Old 13th December 2008, 11:06

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_620_2005-01-18.html for potted history of Connell House
Old 28th February 2009, 18:45
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1966

stayed at connell house 1964 for afew days waiting to join the rfa tideflow nice pool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img002.jpg (250.4 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by ken hart; 28th February 2009 at 19:05..
Old 4th March 2009, 12:45

Connell House.
I stayed there at various times in the mid 1950's whilst with Shell.
Will try to upload a few pics I took at the time.
Allan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sing 6.jpg (44.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Sing 10.jpg (44.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Sing 11.jpg (46.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 4th March 2009, 12:54

BINGO! it worked More pics, Allan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sing 7.jpg (35.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Sing 8.jpg (39.8 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Sing 9.jpg (41.5 KB, 87 views)
Old 12th May 2009, 20:54
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1960 - 1965

What a fantastic place!! My first taste of Tiger Beer, then trying to piss on the lizards in the bogs. Wonderful pool. I journeyed there on the Corfu, twice every nine weeks, to and from Hong Kong to London, in the early 1960s. By goodness wish I could do it all again!!

Bob
Old 13th May 2009, 01:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
Who can recall staying at Connell House, in Singapore? As an Apprentice with Shell 1957/1961, I stayed there a few times awaiting transfer to or from one of the Eastern controlled Fleet. A great place to stay, complete with swimming pool. Fell in love by the pool with a lovely Malasian girl ,during my first stay there, which was great until her father found out,and she suddenly vanished from the scene. Was in Singapore some ten years ago, and went looking for CH,and of course it was no longer there. Still, great memories Regards Colin
I guess that the Mia Fong Hotel will be go also it was right on the front ,not far from the NAAFI if I remember right.Stayed there with Jim SMith 4th Officer waiting to join the Stanvac Bangkok.Memories how sweet they are.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:51

Singapore

Thank you so much for posting.
Pictures of this lovely buiding are very scarce.
To see it again especially the bar has brought back old memories of, yes beefsteak, fat chips and peas and that gravy.
Succour.
Old 14th June 2009, 17:49

Stayed in Connel House Nine times between 1954 and 1962 at first it was quite basic no swimming pool no AC no hot water but a great place to be after some of the ships Shell had at that time. The place was run by an ex army fellow and his wife (Mr and Mrs Williams) who had two lovely daughters who were kept well away from us seafarers. There used to be a load of very interesting people staying there not only from the main shipping companies but also off the local ships plus those down from the China Coast and the afternoon tea parties were places for yarn swopping of a standard not experienced anywhere else
Old 14th June 2009, 20:14

Connell House Singapore

I was on the Bennachie her first trip under the ben line flag,had a few days discharging,spent sometime in Connel House,a couple games tabletennis a swim,a few tigers then a pub crawl up Anson Road.Sailing day we had some explosives to pick up at the anchorage then bangkok here we come,well as the last sling of detonaters was coming aboard .it was the mate,chippy& 2 sailors sent to heave up the anchor while my mate was hosing the cable i was in the chain locker stowing the cable,came out the chain locker and was under the hydrant washing of the mud the fire alarms went off looking toward the bridge we see smoke rising as the painters were on the monkey island burning of the white paintwork,next minute the tanoy blairing Egineroom Fire,well my mate and i were smoke helmet party and very soon we were in sea boots&oilskins the old bellows type helmet stuck on our heads life-line and hoses down the engineroom we went,could not see for smoke,anyway after afew minutes the hoses went dead.Three tugs on life-lines up we came.Next(you've guessed)lifeboat stations,yes my mate and i were lifeboat falls al 4boats were lowered,left only capt,C/off&sparks,onboard
Old 14th June 2009, 20:51

Connell House Singapore

Next episode,after a bit wheeling and dealing the singapore harbourboard agreed to send out the firetender and the profesionals end of fire.now it was just a case rounding up the boxes of detonators,rehousing the lifeboats,that was the end of our B.O.T.sports(sorry forgot to we were anchored again)A skeleton crew were left onboard the rest sent to Connel House for the night 5am call return to ship slip anchor cable and towed into Keppel dockyard where we remained for the next 8weeks.Money was tight so every night was a Connel house night.As the whole electrical switchboard burntout not a lot one could do onboard so most days we arranged football matches with anybody that would play us or went visits with the padre best one to tiger brewrey. ANYONE REMEMBER THAT VOYAGE? A.M.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:37

In 1966 I spent 5 days staying at Connel House waiting for our ship to arrive for a crew change. I arrived at Changi airport late evening for my first taste of the Far East.
I have vivid memories of that first night at Connel House lying in my double bed in what seemed a huge bedroom with shuttered windows, looking up to the large ceiling fan humming away above my head. The heat, the evening smell, the sound of crickets, amazing…. just 36 hrs earlier I had left my small bedroom in North Shields what a contrast!!
Next morning I opened the shutters to a blazing sun and a view of the swimming pool.
As a 20 year old lad from the N/East I had only experienced such things through the cinema and TV.
The next four days were an exciting blur as other Officers/Engineers who had previously been to Singapore initiated me to its delights.
Since then I have returned several times in recent years as my daughter worked/lived there. I realised on my recent visits Connel House was no more. I still love Singapore even though it has been sanitised into a modern City very different from the infamous shady port it was in 66.
Thanks to those who posted the photos of Connel House they bring back many happy memories.
Old 13th July 2009, 18:10

My location
connell house,memories

In 1967 returning from Vietnam after being mined on the Shell tanker Amastra we stayed in Connell House awaiting flights back home.I was sharing a room with one of my fellow shipmates and the following incident happened to me .I still blush when I think of it. My self and my ship mate John were in our favourite recreation positions, by the bar, after a while we were confronted by a giant of a man from County Kerry, it is a true saying no matter where you go in the world you are sure to meet a fellow Irishman. He had just come to Singapore from Australia where he had been working in the mines during his travels around the world.. Once again John and myself had to recount our adventure in Vietnam, our fellow Irishman had a bottle of whiskey so we were set for a night singing Irish songs and downing his bottle of whiskey plus some beers, the rest of the night is a blur to me even to this day, except for what occurred very early in the morning. Some time during the night we had finished our singing and drinking, the Kerry man went to his own room to sleep, John and I went to our room to sleep, during the night I had occasion to visit the bathroom, it being so hot of course I was sleeping in the nude I wrapped a towel around my waist and some how found the bathroom, all well and good so far. It was on the return journey that I had a little trouble. The bathrooms were situated in the centre of the building alongside the central staircase, the corridors branched out to the left and right from the staircase to the bedrooms, unfortunately I took the corridor on the left side instead of the right, staggered on down it and into the exact room corresponding to the one I had been sleeping in on the right hand corridor, I fell onto the bed, and was soon fast asleep, but not for long.

I was awakened by the sound of loud voices, the light was on in the room, my towel was alongside me on the bed, not covering me, and there were three people in the room. One was the manageress, a Malaysian lady of indeterminate age, the person who had pre-booked the room and another member of the hostel staff .The gentleman who had booked the room was very upset, and in fact was preparing to leave the hostel even though it was early in the morning. I was grabbing for my towel, trying to preserve my modesty in front of a lady and strangers, while also apologising for my being in the wrong place at the wrong time, I staggered off to my own bedroom and safety, recovering from my embarrassment , but it was not all over yet. At breakfast the next morning I arrived down to the restaurant and to my horror the manageress came in shortly after I was seated, she was seated at a table across the room from me, my embarrassment was back as she looked over at me. Now that I was stone cold sober I had no option but to get up and walk over to her table, and apologise profusely for the commotion I had caused during the early hours of the morning. I promised myself I would never drink again, at least, not until the next time.Happy times.Barney
Old 17th November 2010, 23:40
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1970

Stayed at the famous house in September 69. I and some others were waiting for the Shell tanker Hanetia to arrive, then take some plane fuel to Vietnam (Da Nang). I was 17 and thought what a wonderful place to live, slightly different from Toxteth in Liverpool. I was a bit wary of the Preying Mantis things in my room but was assured they only eat the insects!!! Never been back and have found out now it's gone. Anyway I can say I did it. Alan Green
Old 18th November 2010, 00:49
ELDER MEMBER

Flew out to Singapore dec 59 and the agent took me to Connel house to stay the night whilst waiting for my ship.
Was taken up to my room only to find tha it was a twin and someone already asleep,I refused the room,called for a taxi and went to a hotel so really did not see too much.

jim
Old 18th November 2010, 00:53
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1966 - 1987

The praying mantis things were geckos and were quite harmless, I remember them in Connell House running up the walls and over the ceiling. Happy days.