The Future Of Cruise ships? - Ships Nostalgia
03:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Future Of Cruise ships?

User Tag List

Old 9th January 2017, 04:54
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Engineering
Active: 1999 - Present

Arrow The Future Of Cruise ships?

Major changes have been made to the Marine industry since the dawn of the 21st Century, these changes have been applied to
  • Outfits
    Machinery
    Capacity

and design.....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Can we talk about the designs?
Old 15th January 2017, 22:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975

My location
since the days of balconies while the ships might great on technical issues must look like floating appartment blocks,saw program last night on regal princess and sorry but she looks ugly
Old 15th January 2017, 23:09
Super Moderator

The future of cruising is very good with someting like 7 new cruise ships last year and 9 this year of various sizes. Last year saw two giants built for RCI, Quautum class Ovation of the Seas, currently cruising from Sydney, Australia, and Oasis class Harmony of the Seas.
Old 15th January 2017, 23:45
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

...and a new giant fron RCL specifically for Chinese market with one gambling area minimum $300 a pop!

Geoff
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:25

Well yes the ships get bigger but look at the ports of call .....same places
( check P&O and others ) there is a market out there for small interesting ports....maybe Fred has cornered that along with a few others .
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:51

In practical terms, there are limits in almost every respect.

Remember Concorde? It certainly wasn't the physical size of the aircraft which terminated the project.

As to cruise ships, there will surely be other factors to consider?

Surely there are limits to incarceration (and particularly to voluntary incarceration) in a floating city?

Of the 16,000 afloat in the Queen Mary in WWII, it is probably right to point out that not one was truly a volunteer. For sure, none was there for pleasure.

The limits for pleasure remain to be determined but, as sure as eggs are eggs, it would seem that they exist.
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:09
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975

My location
watched a doco on azamara journey.market for these smaller ships also that can up rivers to inland ports
Old 4th February 2017, 00:39

My concern on the future of huge cruise ships relates to the number of instances of mass illness on board which it seems impossible to eliminate. I am surprised that there are not more cases of mass illnesses on aircraft carrying 400+ people. Perhaps we don't hear of them as the people have dispersed long before the sickness hits the fan.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 4th February 2017 at 00:42..
Old 4th February 2017, 09:40
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
Mythology?,I heard or read somewhere that the Captain of one cruise ship was forbidden from shaking hands with the boarding passengers, for fear of passing on norovirus et al, he was found to be the one "link".

Yours aye,

slick
Old 4th February 2017, 12:24
Super Moderator

Viral gastroentertis is not new, we were treating it when I worked for P&O back in the 1970s. The only difference is that it was not called Norovirus then, but the same thing. There are new strains emerging all the time. Cruise ships seem to be targeted by the media, but it is far worse shore side, cruise ships in a minority compared to the anount affected ashore, which rarely seems to be reported.

As I said, we had it years ago, but were possibly better at containing it certainly on P&O ships because we isolated crew and passengers in my Crew & Isolation Hospital, so they could not go walk about as they can today when confined to cabins. Also, although very contagious, I never caught it despite coming into direct contact with my patients. We had no fancy gels in those days, just good old fashioned soap and water, basic hygiene that worked. When I left the sea I handled far worse infections in pathology, but never caught any again thanks to basic hygiene.

Today, these gels are possibly responsible for the spread of the virus. Alcohol gels do not kill norovirus, so give a false sense of security. The only way to get rid of it on your hands is washing with soap and water, rinsing well. If only using gels, the virus is still there.

Cruise ships are possibly cleaner than ever before, but the virus is so contagious that it only needs one passenger or crew member to be affected before it spraeds like wildfire. Passengers may also not be truthful when filling in the health form before boarding.

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 4th February 2017 at 12:29..
Old 4th February 2017, 12:37

Slick,
Nowadays it would be physically impossible for the Captain to do a meet and greet.
However, there is some truth in what you heard. At Receptions, Cocktail parties and the like, everyone is required to scrub-up and apply the anti-bacterial before meeting the boss. The Officers on most cruise ships prefer not to shake hands with the 'livestock' nowadays so as to reduce the risk to themselves.

The systems of control and monitoring which have been introduced in recent years are quite comprehensive and while not eliminating mass gastrointestinal disorders they have been proven to reduce it quite considerably.

I think that there may be a good point about aircraft - people are held in closed environment with recirculated air for several hours. They then get off and take their bugs onto the cruise ship. The ship gets the blame....
Old 4th February 2017, 13:53

My daughter and son in law have been on a few cruises and the missus keeps hinting she would like us to go on one not in a month of Sundays will I ever go on one,as I was on a few cruise ships as an a.b.in the 50s and 60s there is no comparison with them and today's Monsters we have watched the latest t.v. Cruise programe the front desk wow the flashing teeth of the gentleman?the crowds rushing to get ashore ,imagine two or three of these monsters docking at the same time in a small island paradise,not for me the missus will have to wait till I've popped me clogs or go with the kids the dog and I will bugger of to the caravan her with a bone and me with my bottle of Mount Gay rum ,watch the show on t.v. Bloody frightening.
Old 4th February 2017, 19:16
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1981

My location
The cruise lines get it in the neck for outbreaks of norovirus but very few of the crew ever are affected - probably 98% of the sick are pax.
Old 4th February 2017, 21:20
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

Regarding the general standards of hygiene among members of the public at large, the next time you use the conveniences in your local supermarket/pub/restaurant (or even hospital), just see how many users walk straight out again without washing their hands. The most contaminated surfaces are the door handles.
Old 7th February 2017, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
My daughter and son in law have been on a few cruises and the missus keeps hinting she would like us to go on one not in a month of Sundays will I ever go on one,as I was on a few cruise ships as an a.b.in the 50s and 60s there is no comparison with them and today's Monsters we have watched the latest t.v. Cruise programe the front desk wow the flashing teeth of the gentleman?the crowds rushing to get ashore ,imagine two or three of these monsters docking at the same time in a small island paradise,not for me the missus will have to wait till I've popped me clogs or go with the kids the dog and I will bugger of to the caravan her with a bone and me with my bottle of Mount Gay rum ,watch the show on t.v. Bloody frightening.
Agree with you Tom.

The YMs wants to do a cruise from here in Oz to somewhere or other or, preferably, a River Cruise in Europe. Being an unsociable and miserable coot I am avoiding both like the plague (possibly catching the plague is but one of my excuses).

You mention being in a small place with two or three cruise ships arriving at the same time. I have been there and done that on a couple of occasions in Geiranger, Norway. They turn the place into an absolute shambles with 1,000s of passengers cramming the place buying everything and anything - it is utter chaos.

Thankfully, we were land based and there for a couple of days but hell it was a relief when they all boarded their lifeboats to return to their ships and sail away.

Peace, perfect peace.............

Geoff (YM)

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 7th February 2017 at 11:47..
Old 15th February 2017, 00:19

My location
Hi Geoff , Just found this thread, so hope You are still about! .We were in Budapest last Sept. (Lovely city.) and met an American couple , on one of these half day tours , They had just finished the river trip by Viking Tours , from AMsterdam, to Budapest OR reverse , Elderly retired couple , and They loved it! great accomadation , and fine dining, 100 passengers, great views , lovely stops ,"And no more than 100 yards from land!", She said....... Might be worth looking at . Regards to You KeithMar.
Old 15th February 2017, 10:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITHMAR View Post
Hi Geoff , Just found this thread, so hope You are still about! .We were in Budapest last Sept. (Lovely city.) and met an American couple , on one of these half day tours , They had just finished the river trip by Viking Tours , from AMsterdam, to Budapest OR reverse , Elderly retired couple , and They loved it! great accomadation , and fine dining, 100 passengers, great views , lovely stops ,"And no more than 100 yards from land!", She said....... Might be worth looking at . Regards to You KeithMar.
Thanks Keith.
Yes we love Budapest and the YMs has been at me for years to do a river cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest. Absolutely everyone that we have spoken to raves about how good the river cruises are.
Hopefully going to Europe again mid 2017 so the possibility is back on the drawing board.
Trouble is it is so far from Oz to Europe and there is just so much to see and do when you get there. We love the old capitals of Vienna, Budapest. Prague and Warsaw especially as well as sailing around Lake Lucerne on the steam paddlers.
When we win the lottery we will spend months there (haha).
Regards and thanks again.
Geoff (YM)
Old 15th February 2017, 20:03

My location
No problem ,Geoff, I live near the foothills of the Andes, 60 miles from the the valley of the Calchaquis(. Mind You Tucuman does have a population of 1Ě5 million!) so Budapest is someway from Us as well!BUT keep buying the lottery.... You sure as sh*t WONĚT win if You DONĚT have a ticket!!Enjoy Your trip . KEITHMAR:
Old 4th December 2017, 20:55
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

All,
A bit unsure of where to post my observations on a programme about cruising.
I watched the Third Mate anchoring the ship from the Focsle, I was shocked to see how superficially the whole evolution was treated, no how she leading, no how much cable out, or when she was brought up......
Then back to the Hotel Manager/
Yours aye,
slick
Old 4th December 2017, 23:58
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Watched a documentary recently about one of these dreadful things. It obviously had no engines as the whole programme was about the waiters and the deckies in the wheelhouse. And no it wasn't the one about the sailing ship/cruise liner.
Old 5th December 2017, 01:11
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Gibson View Post
Watched a documentary recently about one of these dreadful things. It obviously had no engines as the whole programme was about the waiters and the deckies in the wheelhouse. And no it wasn't the one about the sailing ship/cruise liner.
Les, they do have those "engineless ships" . I have read of the swank super yachts that are moored in a Californian marina that are hired out for midnight cruises. They have all the trappings of a millionaires lifestyle above the waterline but are sited on a flat bottomed barge or pontoon that is permanently alongside a marina.
Hire one for the night and once the booze takes effect the patrons know or care not where they are.
A maritime experience in waist deep water perhap

Bob
Old 5th December 2017, 06:46

Now, that sounds quite pleasant - with a gangway permanently rigged and without, therefore, any incarceration involved!
Old 5th December 2017, 07:58

My location
The Ovation of the Seas has docked in Hobart with nearly 200 Passengers treated for Gastro.
Ship is being treated by crew and again when it arrives in Sydney

Last edited by GWB; 5th December 2017 at 08:05..
Old 5th December 2017, 14:20
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Bob (post 21)
No, I meant the real honest to goodness big things run by P and O, Carnival cruises etc. The one I saw had Italian mates and most of the catering staff were Filipino. No idea of the nationality of the ginger beers because in the hour long programme there was no mention of an engine room. Maybe it has tugs pulling it around on the cruises?
Old 5th December 2017, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Gibson View Post
Deckies in the wheelhouse? I did not know they had wheels anymore; just knobs or buttons or, maybe remotes.