MSC Bellissima - Ships Nostalgia
21:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MSC Bellissima

User Tag List

Old 2nd March 2019, 20:36

MSC Bellissima

Named at Southampton today. MSC's advert in my newspaper today calls it "The world's most beautiful" ship. God help us. Whatever happened to the Trades Descriptions Act?
Old 2nd March 2019, 23:46

Yes, it is pretty ugly isn't it? I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, particularly if the beholder is the accountant....
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:33
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011

How true. Nothing surpasses the beauty of the Seatrain GTVs (except, perhaps, Britannia).
Old 3rd March 2019, 14:16

Yikes, just googled her. There's no accounting for taste.
Old 3rd March 2019, 15:29
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1953 - 2010

The thing of beauty at Southampton was Sophia Loren who performed the naming ceremony.
Old 3rd March 2019, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveH View Post
Yes, it is pretty ugly isn't it? I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, particularly if the beholder is the accountant....
I reckon accountants are responsible for 98% of these horrors, but they keep one elderly naval architect who is allowed to design the bow. And they only let him make that pointed so that people will know which way the thing is supposed to be going.........
Old 3rd March 2019, 17:54
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Ah, Sophia the Good.

I had the great pleasure of sailing with the Spanish in 1977, just a pity about the food, a great great pity.

It was not long after the the Monarchy had been restored and inn their humour they referred to their new King's consort as Sophia the Bad.

One was, of course, expected to ask "Why the Bad" the rejoinder being "Because Sophia the Good is Sophia Loren".

Conoco Europe, best run steam ship I have experienced but then I had had three years on Stonehaven. Tilapa ran the Spaniards a good second if not dead heat in the steam stakes but she had much more of an edge when it came to looking like a proper ship.

Last edited by Varley; 3rd March 2019 at 17:56..
Old 4th March 2019, 19:35
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Bellisima is Italian for "most beautiful"...........Brutisima is the "most ugly"!
Ciao,
Dave
Old 4th March 2019, 20:27
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

The press in their infinite - if you don't know, just make it up - wisdom also suggested ij the advert that it was 'launched' in this country. Perhaps it was the accountants choice of word.

David
+
Old 8th March 2019, 00:26

Looks like the Live Animal Export Ships taking sheep from Aus to the Middle East. Also, looks a little top heavy to my (inexperienced) eye.

James
Old 8th March 2019, 01:41
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1955 - 1970

The monstrous pile of metal glass and plastic,and goodness knows what other toxic materials have been used, MSC recently christened in Southampton and named Bellisima......is NOT,it’s extremely UGLY and is an insult to even call it a ship.The only slight resemblance to a ship is the inadequate bow,and the anchor.��
Old 8th March 2019, 03:13
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1966

They stole the plans of this vessel when they designed it.

Old 8th March 2019, 05:09
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1964 - 1990

Ugly? It is worse than that.
No words can describe what I feel, when I see something like that.
But then, $$$ makes everything look beautiful (for the accountant that is)
Old 8th March 2019, 06:50
Department: Engineering
Active: 1975 - 2010

Methinks You all Protest Too Much

Indeed ships are in the eye of the beholder and God knows I have sailed on ships that looked terrible and some that had great lines. Its a ship with a function, and so that's how it was designed and built, to serve a purpose just like many ugly offshore vessels, so why get all bent up. I thought my first old tramp ship was a dog and yet we all fell in love with the old girl. I am just retiring after 45 years afloat and you know what as an engineer I find these modern ships just Disneyland down below, magnificent engineering achievements. Just remember it was designed to keep cargo that eats meaning passengers, happy and entertained and not for armchair maritime enthusiasts to moan about, just saying okay!
Old 8th March 2019, 07:54

Created by morons for morons.

Last edited by Chillytoes; 8th March 2019 at 07:56.. Reason: Spelling error
Old 8th March 2019, 08:06
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 2005

"MSC Bellissima"

There's nothing wrong with that ad. The "most beautiful" refers to her name, not to her look. Great gimmick!
As to comments about her (and in fact most cruise ships) let us not forget those are really floating hotels and they provide bread not only to the hundreds of thousands seafarers who sweat there, but also to their families, perhaps one million souls world wide.
I salute those vessels and those who go down to the sea in them (Psalms 107-23).
Old 8th March 2019, 08:31
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Just as a matter of interest, every ship that calls into Southampton on her maiden voyage is presented with a decanter & glasses to commemorate the occasion. I wonder if that's why so many ships on maiden voyages call in there, never to be seen in the port again. Like this one.
Old 8th March 2019, 09:09

MSC Bellissima

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyRob View Post
The thing of beauty at Southampton was Sophia Loren who performed the naming ceremony.
Cruise ships in particular are getting uglier by the day but I guess they are designed for internal facilities and not designed like ships of old. I agree, Sophia Loren is a beauty and gets better with age, not like these ships.
Phil Hughes
Old 8th March 2019, 11:12
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
MSC Bellissima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillytoes View Post
Created by morons for morons.
By which you are calling a surprisingly large number of your ex seafarer colleagues and current site members, Morons. Thanks for that.
Old 8th March 2019, 14:20
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avraham Ariel View Post
There's nothing wrong with that ad. The "most beautiful" refers to her name, not to her look. Great gimmick!
As to comments about her (and in fact most cruise ships) let us not forget those are really floating hotels and they provide bread not only to the hundreds of thousands seafarers who sweat there, but also to their families, perhaps one million souls world wide.
I salute those vessels and those who go down to the sea in them (Psalms 107-23).
Great post. Cruise ships are indeed floating hotels, the monsters like MSC Bellissima floating holiday camps with everything you need on board, the ship the destination. There is so much to do, some passengers do not go ashore. Also, as you say, cruise ships provide work for seafarers, thousands of them. The only downside is that there are less Europeans(British crew)although having said that many officers are European whether deck or hotel staff etc. Even during my day during the 1970s we had over 70 nationalities on board. Therefore, we should welcome these cruise ships providing work for possibly more seafarers than the liner era. Yes, cruise ships are ugly compared to passenger ships of yesteryear, but the trade has changed. Passengers would not care what the ship looked like from the shore and neither would cruise lines because watching a traditional looking ship from the shore does not pay the bills. And if these ulgly cruise ships did not attract passengers, they would not build them. Like it or not, they are here to stay.

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 8th March 2019 at 19:18..
Old 8th March 2019, 20:07
Active: 1974 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
Great post. Cruise ships are indeed floating hotels, the monsters like MSC Bellissima floating holiday camps with everything you need on board, the ship the destination. There is so much to do, some passengers do not go ashore. Also, as --------lines because watching a traditional looking ship from the shore does not pay the bills. And if these ulgly cruise ships did not attract passengers, they would not build them. Like it or not, they are here to stay.

Unfortunately all you say is true David but I really don't think they are a patch on the ships of yesteryear. I remember Arcadia (1953) being fun for the passengers right to the end even though the accomadation was somewhat lacking by todays standards and we certainly had a greater variety of ports of call even with a bit deeper draught. I did a South Pacific cruise a few years ago on Celebrity Mercury -- can you imagine what Bora-Bora was like when 2,000 punters hit the shore? Give me the 20-30,000 ton ships anyday!
Old 8th March 2019, 20:40
Super Moderator

Bob

I worked on Arcadia when she became a full time cruise ship, but she was still a liner in looks and accommodation, but more importantly designed as a liner, she was a good sea ship. I was on board during a hurricane and the cyclone that destroyed Darwin, but the old girl steamed through like the grand old lady she was. Modern cruise ships five times her size would not cope so well. Sadly, my Arcadia or those of her era will never be built again.
Old 8th March 2019, 21:22
Active: 1974 - 1981

My location
I only did a couple of trips on the Arcadia cruising out of Sydney (1977 I think) and we had some good blows crossing the Tasman. Wet table cloths and safety ropes etc.but I thought she was a way more comfortable sea handling ship than her big cousin the Canberra.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:26

Actually you all missing the point here - the new generation of cruise ships are meant to be appreciated from the inside and not admired from a distance. Maybe all you critics should take a tour around one and appreciate just how beautiful they are to all the many hundreds of thousands of people who choose to take the holidays in cruise ships.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:50
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
MSC Bellissima

Quote:
Originally Posted by john24601 View Post
Actually you all missing the point here - the new generation of cruise ships are meant to be appreciated from the inside and not admired from a distance. Maybe all you critics should take a tour around one and appreciate just how beautiful they are to all the many hundreds of thousands of people who choose to take the holidays in cruise ships.
Exactly.