Stephenson Clarke Vessels - Page 11 - Ships Nostalgia
02:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stephenson Clarke Vessels

User Tag List

Old 27th February 2016, 16:14
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1988

Hello Dartmouth Mariner! Sadly no name! Great that you remember that epic trip to Tunis. I have some good photographs that I would like to share with you but have not figured out how to post them yet. I took photographs of the steam crane belching black smoke as it slowly discharged coal. Also of us steaming into Tunis canal through frocks of pink flamingos. I had the unusual experience of catching the local train to Carthage, exploring some of the ruins and then stopping off at Side bou Said to explore the local open market and sample some sweet and sticky baklava. We had a tall long-haired and bearded radio officer with whom I explored Tunis and ate ashore; the only way to get a cold beer! I have completely forgotten my letter to the Telegraph; impressed by your memory. I was taking summer jobs as I had left the sea I was studying for an education degree in nothing at the time. Good money. I was able to buy a new car and a house whilst on a student grant!
Old 27th February 2016, 16:24

Eddie
I joined the Ashington x Rogate when I transshipped in Caen on 2 January 1985 and Capt Pirie signed me on. I also remember Roland Sisterson. I preferred being second mate going to the tropics than mate on the Rogate going to the Baltic! Do you remember the Crossing the Line Ceremony? I have photos… I had the weekend off in Durban and hired a car driving up country to visit relatives. Trying to remember if we also went to Durban on the Ashington 1987. I know I paid off in Dakar when we were at anchor a mile off under week-long engine repairs. Mr Field wanted me off to save them having to pay for a third deck officer. Never did find out how they got home.
Old 7th December 2017, 22:36

Detailed history of several Stevies Ships

Good evening all
I have just completed my book on my life in the British Merchant Navy entitled GANGWAY A LIFE AT SEA. GANGWAY is the story of the British Merchant Navy 1966 to 1988, as I experienced it, in eleven shipping companies (including 8 years in Stevie Clarke) serving on three dozen ships, each of which gets its own page, with photo, technical data, and life history.

Hardback, with dust jacket. 414 pp, lavishly illustrated with colour photos of life at sea and ashore.

You can find out more by following this link to the Blurb Bookstore: http://www.blurb.co.uk/b/8334216-gangway

I think anybody who enjoys marine nostalgia will enjoy this absorbing read.
Not sure what the postage will be from Blurb, but if bought direct from me it will be 4.00, via [email protected]
Happy Nostalgia!
Old 10th June 2018, 04:21
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1969

I completed my Marconi 6 months 'training' on my own on the CEGB ship "Sir William Walker" July to November 1964, mainly Blythe to Shoreham - I was probably the only non-Geordie on board. The odd trip further north to Grangemouth or Methil, just bangin' up and down the coast, not really a lot for a Sparks to do, Decca Navigator did most of the bridge work. A couple of trips into the Kent side of the Thames Estuary and miles to the nearest pub, spoilt by the easy access to the Dun Cow and the Rising Sun!
I have a couple of pix of "Willie Walker" but it won't let me upload them.
Old 20th July 2018, 04:03

Sailed on first voyage of M.V. Ashington

Hi Everyone,
I can proudly say that I sailed on the first voyage of M.V. Ashington (after name conversion from the Tennyson) from Middlesbrough to Dakar in July of 1968. It was my first voyage as Engineer Cadet and we sailed for Dakar in ballast and loaded phosphates for the ICI paint works on Teeside. We did the run three times and were then trans-versing through the Keel canal for Szczein, Poland where we loaded powdered coal for Belgium. On one of those frequent coal runs, we were off the coast of Amsterdam and were rammed by a Greek freighter in thick pea soup fog. We abandoned ship and were rescued by a Dutch lifeboat although the ship did not sink and was towed and beached nearby.
Old 3rd April 2019, 16:31

Lancing and Worthing

I sailed as 2nd Engineer on the Lancing and Worthing when they were taken on by Coe Metcalfe Shipping/ James Fisher plc in 1994
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:21

Hi Jules
We must have seen each other as I was the Agent in Shoreham and helped with the Discharging I was the old boy with the beard Roger
Granty