Cruise ship 'Costa Concordia' aground - merged threads - Page 66 - Ships Nostalgia
07:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cruise ship 'Costa Concordia' aground - merged threads

User Tag List

Old 6th February 2012, 03:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 2015

This morning, being Sunday we made our usual trip to church.
The sermon was not memorable, except for the minister's use of the Captain of the Cocordia as an example of a vain and cowardly man.
After the service I asked him in private how deeply he had researched his comments and from his reply, I rather feel he was quoting the gutter press to the exclusion of any possibility of an alternative point of view.
It seems that, even in ecclisiastical cirlcles the press is accepted as judge, jury and excecutioner.
Perhaps I should have suggested he confine his nautical knowledge to fishing boats on the Sea of Galilee and leave the interpretation of a complex marine incident to those better qualified.
Ian
Old 6th February 2012, 04:02

dom

It was suggested there was a fire aboard in the garage and that so much water was put on the fire by the crew so that the (undamaged) vessel capsized, floated upside down ... and sank. Like M/S Estonia.
But on the VDR you can hear explosions going off, etc, etc - it sounded like sabotage - but ... it didn't fit the fairy tale by the incident investigation (assisted by IMO experts!).

would'nt one expect explosions with fire in a garage
Old 6th February 2012, 04:35
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiwa View Post
Pls start a new thread somewhere else and discuss this with my wife, thanks.
This is the ships nostalgia forum.
Which has dozens of other topics to which you have not contributed a single post - somewhat surprising from one so qualified. Not that you have to, of course. Still, last month's capsize is hardly nostalgic, is it?
Old 6th February 2012, 07:18
Active: 1965 - 1973

You can't be serious, Anders!

http://heiwaco.tripod.com/bomb.htm
Old 6th February 2012, 07:33

dom

off thread i know but they should up his medication
Old 6th February 2012, 08:13
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Nothing more to see here, folks... move along.... nothing more to see here..............
Old 6th February 2012, 08:27

My location
We'll just have to wait and see. Or as in a story in a book I read as a kid, it might be Weight and Sea!
To explain, the story was about a yacht sunk by a hole drilled below waterline, plugged with a cork, connected by a line to a weight on the seafloor. Up comes the tide, out goes the cork, in flows the sea, down goes the yacht, along with the owner!
In this case the ship, the CC might slide into deeper water, aided by it's weight, and the action of the sea.
Way off topic, but this thread could do with a bit of lightening.
Too many have forgotten that most posts are, and remain, speculation until some scientific facts emerge, as opposed to the speculations of the press, not to mention those of some others.
Back under my rock I go!
Cheers to all, and please don't take any of this post seriously!

Last edited by allanc; 6th February 2012 at 08:41..
Old 6th February 2012, 08:49
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Cruise ship "Costa Concordia" aground

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrinoz View Post

Problem is - he is!
Probably also subscribes to the notion that the Holocaust never happened.
I'm moving on. Had enough of his nonsense
Old 6th February 2012, 09:03

Has any evidence emerged about potential damage to the hidden underwater side of the hull yet? Perhaps the gaping hole and boulder on the starboard side has distracted attention, but size isn't everything!
Old 6th February 2012, 09:50
user
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1965 - 2011

It is very easy to blame the Master of CC and close the case. In the Al Salam Boccaccio case 2006 it was not so simple as the Master captain Osman and complete crew drowned. What had happened between Douba and Safaga in the middle of the night? Fire in the garage! Yes! But according VDR it was extinguished. Suddenly BANG, BANG, ship heeled on side … and sank. Was the ship seaworthy? Yes, classed by RINA since 30 years, company ISM in force since 25 September 1997 thanks to Allah and, i.a. me, and also approved by RINA and audited by ship owner and DNV at regular intervals.
Ship owner El Salam was the best shipping company in the Middle East with 4000 employées! Underwriters and P&I paid all claims. An investigation commission concluded that ship’s crew had capsized the ship by putting too much water in the garage (high above WL) when extinguishing the fire in the garage. Very strange, because the system was a manual sprinkler system and the water drained out through scuppers. The commission concluded the scuppers were blocked! But then the water would just flow down to watertight compartments below the garage via the fire doors! No, said the commission. Stability calculations showed that ship could not capsize unless you put 1500 tons of water on the car deck … and that would take 24 hrs with existing fire pumps! No, no. The calculations were wrong!
Anyway, the dead Master was found guilty. Case closed?
No, no! A second commission found the Egyptian ship owner of El Salam, his son + a number of people ashore guilty of criminal negligence and we were each sentenced to 7 years in prison! You see – the ship owner ashore can be held responsible! We appealed of course and all got free except the ship owner! His sentence was confirmed. 7 years in prison because the ship had sunk (for some ?? reasons). It was thus time to close the shop after 30 years of very successful ferry shipping in Red Sea and Med and retire. The ship owner managed to settle in London. The ship owner’s son visited me and got arrested at the airport! He was on the Interpol list of criminals to be extradited to Egypt and serve 7 years in prison there. The list had not been up-dated. And the ship owner lives quietly in London in spite of being on the Interpol list! As long as he doesn’t say that his ship was sabotaged by evil people protected by a stupid incident commission.
Old 6th February 2012, 10:06
Department: Engineering

Quote:
It is very easy to blame the Master of CC and close the case. In the Al Salam Boccaccio case 2006 it was not so simple as the Master captain Osman and complete crew drowned. What had happened between Douba and Safaga in the middle of the night? Fire in the garage! Yes! But according VDR it was extinguished. Suddenly BANG, BANG, ship heeled on side … and sank. Was the ship seaworthy? Yes, classed by RINA since 30 years, company ISM in force since 25 September 1997 thanks to Allah and, i.a. me, and also approved by RINA and audited by ship owner and DNV at regular intervals.
Ship owner El Salam was the best shipping company in the Middle East with 4000 employées! Underwriters and P&I paid all claims. An investigation commission concluded that ship’s crew had capsized the ship by putting too much water in the garage (high above WL) when extinguishing the fire in the garage. Very strange, because the system was a manual sprinkler system and the water drained out through scuppers. The commission concluded the scuppers were blocked! But then the water would just flow down to watertight compartments below the garage via the fire doors! No, said the commission. Stability calculations showed that ship could not capsize unless you put 1500 tons of water on the car deck … and that would take 24 hrs with existing fire pumps! No, no. The calculations were wrong!
No, no! A second commission found the Egyptian ship owner of El Salam, his son + a number of people ashore guilty of criminal negligence and we were each sentenced to 7 years in prison! You see – the ship owner ashore can be held responsible! We appealed of course and all got free except the ship owner! His sentence was confirmed. 7 years in prison because the ship had sunk (for some ?? reasons). It was thus time to close the shop after 30 years of very successful ferry shipping in Red Sea and Med and retire. The ship owner managed to settle in London. The ship owner’s son visited me and got arrested at the airport! He was on the Interpol list of criminals to be extradited to Egypt and serve 7 years in prison there. The list had not been up-dated. And the ship owner lives quietly in London in spite of being on the Interpol list! As long as he doesn’t say that his ship was sabotaged by evil people protected by a stupid incident commission.
It's behind you
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 6th February 2012, 10:15
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Ah, I am beginning to see where the axe is being ground, Bitter and Twisted is the usual explanation.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 6th February 2012, 11:07

I see that this is turning into a new "gollywobbler". What hapened to the oft stated..."....don't post unless you have something useful to say", usually posted by ....... well, you make your own minds up. It's only been a week or so since the moderators gave clear guidance.
Heiwa has only posted on this thread, presumably because it falls into his area of expertese.

JJ.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:24

[QUOTE=Oceanspan;573316]No, CCTV is not a requirement for the VDR and continuous footage from a very large system such as on a cruise ship would be impossibly memory intensive.

Thank you for answering my question Oceanspan,and your explaination of the VDR. Maybe it will be something for the future to be a part of the VDR. Would be very helpfull and I guess and not impossible.
Rgds
Neil
Old 6th February 2012, 12:37
user
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1965 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrinoz View Post

Oh yes! Heiwa is always serious! 1972-77 I lived in Japan and parts of Nakaku Yokohama looked as if they had been napalm bombed yesterday then 1972 ... and not 1945. Similar at Nagoya, Osaka, Tokyo, everywhere. Same at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I remind you that Japan was occupied by USA until 1953 and media was controlled, etc. Easy to invent an atomic bomb! Prove me wrong and win €1M. Back to the CC topic. You think the Master shall be strung up in any tree?
Old 6th February 2012, 13:11
Active: 1966 - 1983

Heiwa

Please back off a little - a serious amount of irrelevance in the above post!

J
Old 6th February 2012, 13:35

Hi all
Just joined, interested in what plans if any there are at present for the ship being moved? What does the future hold?
cheers
Old 6th February 2012, 14:04
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
I for one would be very interested in the salvage or breaking of this vessel
Old 6th February 2012, 14:17
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
By that i mean "how the company will go about it. ie: will they weld patches then pump her out or what
Old 6th February 2012, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
By that i mean "how the company will go about it. ie: will they weld patches then pump her out or what
I don't think they have decided whether to scrap or refloat her yet, however, some of the possible methods are described here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16573312
Old 6th February 2012, 15:21

My location
What in heaven's name is this Heiwa person up too !.
Old 6th February 2012, 15:43

My location

Cassiopeia, just have a little Google, read and you will see what we are contending with. Like I said already, I'm not interested in his dialogue any more. In my world there are places for him!!!
Old 6th February 2012, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iangb View Post
According to this BBC report on the Costa Europa prang in Feb 2010, they seems to be a bit recalcitrant.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16823955

Extract: "Italian authorities are refusing to release the findings of an inquiry into a fatal accident involving a sister ship of the Costa Concordia.

Three crew members were killed when the Costa Europa hit a quay in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, in February 2010.

Accident reports should be submitted to the International Maritime Organization (IMO), but such regulations have not been followed."
Costa Europa (now Thomson Dream) was never a sister ship of Costa Concordia.
Old 6th February 2012, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Something puzzles me...........how can one person be an expert on so many different subjects in one life time?
Answer..........they cannot.
Mike,
You are wrong, every village has one. I feel sorry for the French village that got the one they didn't deserve
Old 6th February 2012, 16:23

My location

"I feel sorry for the French village that got the one they didn't deserve"

Like it!