Desktop dinosaur - Ships Nostalgia
14:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Desktop dinosaur

User Tag List

Old 24th March 2012, 23:58
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Desktop dinosaur

Desktop,laptop,smartphone or pad?
I know they all have their advantages but nothing beats the trusty desktop at home.I have a TV,a half decent hi-fi but both are redundant as I watch TV on, and listen to music, on the PC.
TV is in HD and I bought a new sound card which with my 5.1 speakers eclipses the hi-fi.Only one winner unless you are on the move!
Old 25th March 2012, 00:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

Desktop for me !

I like my mouse and those touchpads on laptops just annoy the hell out of me !

As for smartphones I canny work them ....lol
Old 25th March 2012, 01:02
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1972

I can just work a mouse, desktop computer is great for me, my family got me a better one its great
Old 25th March 2012, 01:19

My location
I recently bought a laptop and at time of purchase bought a wireless mouse, so works just same as my desktop, with portabilty and much increased speed. At present sitting in front of TV watching match of the day and using laptop with mouse.

Jim
Old 25th March 2012, 11:33
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg0nxx View Post
I recently bought a laptop and at time of purchase bought a wireless mouse, so works just same as my desktop, with portabilty and much increased speed. At present sitting in front of TV watching match of the day and using laptop with mouse.

Jim
Got myself a USB mouse for laptop saves buying batteries.

Ray
Old 25th March 2012, 12:12
Ship's Minstrel
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1970

My location
My desktop machine is now over three years old. I have most recently upgraded the disk drive for the Windows system to an SSD (solid state disk - looks like a disk drive to the system but has no moving parts and is very fast!) and the increase in boot up speed and performance has been remarkable.
I think that's one of the main advantages of a desktop system, the ability to upgrade different parts to keep up with improvements in technology. With a laptop or tablet these options are either very limited or non-existant.

Jeff
Old 25th March 2012, 12:19
Department: Engineering

MAC

just love MACs - working on a PC laptop at the moment though through a docking station.

My outfit at home though consists of a bloody huge flat screen on the wall and a an Ipad connected to it via a docking station and 5:1 surround sound system with my two main speakers (Quads) connected to the internet via a Sonos system a DAC and a power amp which effectively gives me a juke box of around 6 million songs via Napster all controlled via the ipad - its kinda cool even I do say so myself
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 28th March 2012, 23:50
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I've never really understood why people who only require a computer for use at home, still insist on buying a laptop. The downside to laptops is:
Small screen
Very little scope to upgrade
Extremely expensive to replace worn items (e.g. a keyboard can cost up to 50)
Has to be pretty much deep sixed when it gets old and worn.
If you are on the move, fine, and for certain occupations such as a teacher, a laptop is a godsend, although with an average lifespan of 3 years, it's an expense.
To give you an example I recently upgraded my desktop with a new motherboard bundle which has bought it up to 6 core I7 standard for a fraction of the cost of a new similar system, since I used the old case/dvd drives/keyboard/monitor etc etc. Can't do that with a laptop.
Old 28th March 2012, 23:55
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
MAC

just love MACs - working on a PC laptop at the moment though through a docking station.

My outfit at home though consists of a bloody huge flat screen on the wall and a an Ipad connected to it via a docking station and 5:1 surround sound system with my two main speakers (Quads) connected to the internet via a Sonos system a DAC and a power amp which effectively gives me a juke box of around 6 million songs via Napster all controlled via the ipad - its kinda cool even I do say so myself
My next machine will be a MAC,been told they are very secure and maintenance free.
It sounds you have a great system there.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:39

dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
MAC

you have time to listen to 6 million songs