SS Glenaffric - Ships Nostalgia
05:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

SS Glenaffric

User Tag List

Old 9th November 2017, 03:47

SS Glenaffric

Hello Lads.

Do any of the members remember anyone who sailed on SS Glenaffric formerly SS Nestor. I was on her but memory has failed a bit.
I think the 2nd Engineer was Willie Sutherland and 3rd Engineer was Alan Kirkham from Liverpool, Harry ? was 4th Eng.

What a grand set of lads they were and we even got a laugh during soot blowing. not a nice job as lances had to be hand cranked, the control panel didn't function.

Happy memories
Nicnamed Dino in those days as would sing Dene Martin songs after a few Tennants.

Cheers to all at SN
Succour
Old 9th November 2017, 09:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1988

SS Glenaffric

Sailed with Willie Sutherland on the Flintshire as a cadet in 1966,a great person and engineer,his first comments to myself and Alan Coy the other cadet were please dont call me sir,Willie in the engine room and second in front of the old man and chief, a true gentleman.
Old 11th November 2017, 10:39

SS Glenaffric

Right enough

Willie was a real gent, he once asked me what is the most important thing in the engine room....? and then added; don't say it's me, as I don't have you down for an **** licker. I thought for a moment and said the feed water Willie. Good lad, now go and make the tea before your head gets too big.

As you say a real Gent.
After his stint as second on the Glanaffric they made him up to Chief. I met him briefly before joining Ixion and he winked and said don't forget your boiler feed water, he remembered. A great man.

Succour.
Old 11th November 2017, 16:55
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Great man alright. Didn't know him but just reading those couple of posts has convinced me. Yes great men remember those seemingly small details but so important to you Succour. Nice to see more posts about great men?
My first trip to sea on the ore carrier Afghanistan was with a great man. His name was Winstanley (I think Eric?) my chief engineer. He ran me ragged for 2 months when he found out that I was a first tripper but shook my hand when I left after 5 months and said "you are going to be alright young man, you have earned your leave. I will take you as my lecky anytime". Never saw him again but I will never forget him.
Old 11th November 2017, 18:13

Steve Becket

Lads

I was the first lad to attend Steve Becket after he was burnt by steam.

I must say he was the most bravest boy i have ever met.

He asked me if he could ever make love to his wife again....I said your w
Willie is just fine.

I think of that lad

Succour
Old 11th November 2017, 19:56

I saile in her in 1960 when she was Nestor, (2 trips)
She was a good ship with a good crowd on deck. Alas I don't recall any of the engineers. There was a Blue Flu bosun named Peter Sutherland, a Glaswegian I think. I wonder if he was related.
Old 30th July 2018, 04:45
Department: Engineering

I sailed on the Nestor when she was on the Sing/ Aussie run. It was reputed to have the highest super heat temperature of any merchant vessel at the time, used to go through superheat dampers because they crumbled away due to the very high temperatures. She was a handful until you got everything settled down then you wrote on the board TFA touch **** all!!