Asiafreighter - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
23:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Asiafreighter

User Tag List

Old 9th February 2007, 20:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Hi Hev
I am really sorry to hear about Angus he was a good man of the old school really proud of his ship I had a lot of time for him. If my memory serves me right I also had his nephew sailing with me as GP?
tom
yes a good man he will be sadly missed not only by his family but all who sailed with him sorry tom i did not know his nephew but if he was related to angus he would have been a good lad kev.
Old 10th February 2007, 19:04
Active: 1966 - 1986

My location
Hi, just joined, I was 3rd Mate on the Asialiner for ayear. Tom S was Captain(I think!) Bernie Frieze was Mate ( I was with him on a seateam boat when he was 2/mate and from Belfast) other names I forget but remember father and son passengers who intended to tour UK on mopeds!
Also the I remebr the Beer being pretty good on board, especially over a New Year "holiday" we had in Greenock.

Dick
Old 10th February 2007, 23:34
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Dick,

A warm welcome to the site from Anglesey.
I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads.
Coincidentally, I am ex Asialiner, sailed with Tom S on Seatrain Saratoga and am also a member of HMCG!

Last edited by Gulpers; 10th February 2007 at 23:37..
Old 12th February 2007, 23:25
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1989

My location
Asiafreighter

I saw this thread and remembered a few names from my two trips on Asiafreighter paid off Jan 79 just before lay up.

The attached photo taken at Xmas 78 shows Neil Smart 3/E, Tom O'Donovan C/E, Bernie Frieze C/O Kevin Dowdall JC/E with his wife.

Other people I remember on board at the time were N A Macdonald captain, I Gillies C/Stwd, Big Albert the Cook Mike Mullen 3/E, Ronnie ---- 3/E from Troon, Alan ----- 4/E, John who played the moothie GP1, Matt ---- was another GP1. Does anybody out there remember who else was on this trip.

I was 4/E.

Andy McArthur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Asiafreighter Xmas 78.jpg (68.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 18th February 2007, 09:26

Quote:
I think that us another one for the bin. The ships had really fantastic Owners Accomodation and from time to time we did carry fairly important passengers but no celebs that I know of, Remember all the names you mention. Black Bob(Rab Fraser) died of a heart attack in Spain last year his funeral was in Leith. Dave Wood was the 3/E
Tom
funny story,for any that knew or nows dave wood(professional) 3/eng ,and i dont know where he is now?1st trip to sea you understand ,i was on watch with dave,mostly serious man, slighlty funny,no messing, anyway sea water pump to overhall with dave located on fwd bulkhead, motor above tread plate pump below, but you could dangle your legs over and work on the pump, v/vs closed slight leak of sea water passing valve, nothing though.there was a wooden plug in side of volute casing which, via copper pipe lead to bottom bearing, missing, long story short when we eventually put the pump toghether i thought the wooden bunk was to go back in the hole in the side of the pump casing so put it in, latter dave seen it said no we are to fix that, so got down ,his feet dangling over the tread plates and knocked the wooden bung out, only the pump had filled up with sea water didnt it, you should have heard dave scream!! ya f--king ba--d as the water gushed out all over him at the front.i ran away up to the control room ,not because i was scared but i could not stop from laughing dave being the man he was , and i good guy to, he came up ,my f---king pants are soakin he said i burst out laughing again and he did get me back comming into weehawkin but thats another story.
Old 18th February 2007, 18:30

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdenholm View Post
funny story,for any that knew or nows dave wood(professional) 3/eng ,and i dont know where he is now?1st trip to sea you understand ,i was on watch with dave,mostly serious man, slighlty funny,no messing, anyway sea water pump to overhall with dave located on fwd bulkhead, motor above tread plate pump below, but you could dangle your legs over and work on the pump, v/vs closed slight leak of sea water passing valve, nothing though.there was a wooden plug in side of volute casing which, via copper pipe lead to bottom bearing, missing, long story short when we eventually put the pump toghether i thought the wooden bunk was to go back in the hole in the side of the pump casing so put it in, latter dave seen it said no we are to fix that, so got down ,his feet dangling over the tread plates and knocked the wooden bung out, only the pump had filled up with sea water didnt it, you should have heard dave scream!! ya f--king ba--d as the water gushed out all over him at the front.i ran away up to the control room ,not because i was scared but i could not stop from laughing dave being the man he was , and i good guy to, he came up ,my f---king pants are soakin he said i burst out laughing again and he did get me back comming into weehawkin but thats another story.

Wonderfool stori , reely wonerfool.

JC
Old 18th February 2007, 18:31
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
What was the name of the 2nd Mate we had on the Container Ships who was studying for his BSC and his thesis was on raindrops? I remember he used to appear everytime it rained and caught raindrops measured the size and density of them. I believe he went on to do a Phd and became a lecturer at Southampton Uni?
TomS
Old 16th March 2007, 20:27

electric

does anyone, especially tom s, remember the electrician whom was electricuted behind the switchboard on a GTV, think it was the eurofrieghter, they had to shut down the plant to get him off the busbar..... shocking story
Old 14th April 2007, 11:14

Smile Memories are made of this..

May I introduce myself first: I was responsible as object leader for the four gasturbine driven Eurofreighter-Class ships and I took them all out as chief-engineer on sea trials. I found this page by sitting in a hotel room in Nikolajew in the Ukraine as a retired “Nordseewerke” man out of Emden, where we built these ships. I am here to set up a supervising team for a multipurpose vessel of 12000 tdw for a friend of mine, who bought a half ready ship here at the Damen-Akeryard Okean. So after working hours I surfed in the internet and found a trace of your web side searching for four ships I had as chief of a supervisor team in Japan 30 Years ago. These ships, starting with the “Seatrain Independence” had the same charter company as the Euroliner Class.
I remember a lot of funny stories of the Euroliner and her sister ships. One story about a captain and a torch mentioned here still bring also now a smile to my face. It happened in 1971, when one of the fire brigade on one of these ships told me to phone my secretary. I did and she told me, that I had to fly to Rotterdam together with the head of the Denholms Supervisor Team, Reginald Clark and David Hogg, the Chief engineer of the next vessel. So I stopped working, rushed home to get some money and my passport and took a taxi to the “Emden Airport”. There I heard about a guarantee claim against the shipyard because there was a design error in the draining system of the plenum-chambers, the air intakes of the gasturbine. And David Hogg told me the story that the vacuum sucks the bilge water through the drains into the air intakes because of the lack of none return valves. I replied that this small vacuum would never be able to suck the water 3 meters high and I guessed the old problem, washing the deckshouse without any warning to the engine room. We arrived in rotterdam and finally also on board of the ship where Reginald ask me to wait in owners lounge and pour me a drink because they wanted to have a short interview with the chief engineer first, before we would start to discuss the serious guarantee claim. Owners lounge was on the same deck as the chiefs cabins below the bridge on portside. So I went to the ice cube generator, which I always took in service beginning the seatrials, and I poured me a Gin Tonic. I sat down at the big round table and found the note book of the chief engineer with his notice what happened with the gasturbine. I quickly noted all facts and finished it just when eginald came in and invited me to the chiefs living room. Before even Reginald could start the discussion I Told him that I had a dream. “It happened on the last trip that the decks crew started to hose the house down. From monkey island then tons of water where falling into the air intakes and the demisters could not take the complete water out of the air and so down below the compressor of one of the gasturbines started to salt up. Now the fuel control tried to keep up the speed of the free turbine and the engine started to overheat and the sensor TT7 in front of the free turbine gave alarm. The crew pushed the shut down button and investigated the case. Than the crew started to wash the engine with distillate while cranking the engine on the starter. Now the poor Old Man, who was very interested in the work of the engineers came into the picture! He had a look himself into the plenum chamber and by accident his good old “Nordseewerke torch” felt down against his knee and then entered the compressor of the gasturbine. The crew had to stop the procedure and tried to get the parts of the torch out of the compressor again but failed with one battery, which was stuck in 9 th stage of the compressor.” They all looked at me like the saw a ghost and then I told the story about the notebook of the Chief in owners lounge. “So I have nothing to do anymore here and I will count this nice trip to Rotterdam as a extra vacation day and will leave now for Emden” .
Suddenly also David Hogg said, that he would come with me. He had the right smell in his nose. I planned to stay a night in Rotterdam in a different hotel to see all the funny places I knew since my time at sea. So we had a long evening and managed a train to Emden the next day ending up in the “Bei Evi” bar in Emden for our last beer that trip.
Old 14th April 2007, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostfriese View Post
May I introduce myself first: I was responsible as object leader for the four gasturbine driven Eurofreighter-Class ships and I took them all out as chief-engineer on sea trials. I found this page by sitting in a hotel room in Nikolajew in the Ukraine as a retired “Nordseewerke” man out of Emden, where we built these ships. I am here to set up a supervising team for a multipurpose vessel of 12000 tdw for a friend of mine, who bought a half ready ship here at the Damen-Akeryard Okean. So after working hours I surfed in the internet and found a trace of your web side searching for four ships I had as chief of a supervisor team in Japan 30 Years ago. These ships, starting with the “Seatrain Independence” had the same charter company as the Euroliner Class.
I remember a lot of funny stories of the Euroliner and her sister ships. One story about a captain and a torch mentioned here still bring also now a smile to my face. It happened in 1971, when one of the fire brigade on one of these ships told me to phone my secretary. I did and she told me, that I had to fly to Rotterdam together with the head of the Denholms Supervisor Team, Reginald Clark and David Hogg, the Chief engineer of the next vessel. So I stopped working, rushed home to get some money and my passport and took a taxi to the “Emden Airport”. There I heard about a guarantee claim against the shipyard because there was a design error in the draining system of the plenum-chambers, the air intakes of the gasturbine. And David Hogg told me the story that the vacuum sucks the bilge water through the drains into the air intakes because of the lack of none return valves. I replied that this small vacuum would never be able to suck the water 3 meters high and I guessed the old problem, washing the deckshouse without any warning to the engine room. We arrived in rotterdam and finally also on board of the ship where Reginald ask me to wait in owners lounge and pour me a drink because they wanted to have a short interview with the chief engineer first, before we would start to discuss the serious guarantee claim. Owners lounge was on the same deck as the chiefs cabins below the bridge on portside. So I went to the ice cube generator, which I always took in service beginning the seatrials, and I poured me a Gin Tonic. I sat down at the big round table and found the note book of the chief engineer with his notice what happened with the gasturbine. I quickly noted all facts and finished it just when eginald came in and invited me to the chiefs living room. Before even Reginald could start the discussion I Told him that I had a dream. “It happened on the last trip that the decks crew started to hose the house down. From monkey island then tons of water where falling into the air intakes and the demisters could not take the complete water out of the air and so down below the compressor of one of the gasturbines started to salt up. Now the fuel control tried to keep up the speed of the free turbine and the engine started to overheat and the sensor TT7 in front of the free turbine gave alarm. The crew pushed the shut down button and investigated the case. Than the crew started to wash the engine with distillate while cranking the engine on the starter. Now the poor Old Man, who was very interested in the work of the engineers came into the picture! He had a look himself into the plenum chamber and by accident his good old “Nordseewerke torch” felt down against his knee and then entered the compressor of the gasturbine. The crew had to stop the procedure and tried to get the parts of the torch out of the compressor again but failed with one battery, which was stuck in 9 th stage of the compressor.” They all looked at me like the saw a ghost and then I told the story about the notebook of the Chief in owners lounge. “So I have nothing to do anymore here and I will count this nice trip to Rotterdam as a extra vacation day and will leave now for Emden” .
Suddenly also David Hogg said, that he would come with me. He had the right smell in his nose. I planned to stay a night in Rotterdam in a different hotel to see all the funny places I knew since my time at sea. So we had a long evening and managed a train to Emden the next day ending up in the “Bei Evi” bar in Emden for our last beer that trip.
i remember you like it was yesterday but was reg clark not the seatrain naval arcitect for those ships im sure he was
Old 14th April 2007, 14:29

My location
ostfriese I also remember that account of IC Graham,s unfortunate accident I think it has now become a Denholm Legend. Were you not the same gentleman who introduced Captain N.A.Macdonald to the Mercedes factory where he had his Mercedes custom built and supervised by himself during the building of the Eurofreighter???
TomS
Old 14th April 2007, 23:10

My location
Ostfriese,

By the time I got to Emden to standby Asiafreighter, your trip to Rotterdam with Davie Hogg had become legendary.

I remember Evi's very well, plus a few others - Rio Rita, Herrentor, Adler to name but a few.
Is it still in business, and is 'Queen Evi' still alive?
Her birthday was of national German importance - flowers everywhere and free beer for the customers.

I seem to remember you were a large man - is your name Scultz or Horst or something like that?

From the Rheinstahl yard I remember Batterman, his shadow the chief Schlosser (Theo?) and the schlussel major, but his name is also gone.

I was on Asiafreighter for the trials, empty ship. Her best run was about 32.3 knots, balls to the wall on the GGs.

Great days, great ships for their time, and in many ways far ahead of their time.

Best regards from Scotland.
Old 15th April 2007, 16:48

Quote:
ostfriese I also remember that account of IC Graham,s unfortunate accident I think it has now become a Denholm Legend. Were you not the same gentleman who introduced Captain N.A.Macdonald to the Mercedes factory where he had his Mercedes custom built and supervised by himself during the building of the Eurofreighter???
TomS
hi tom i was with norman angus the day he collected the merc it is still going in stornoway a lad related to him was down testing our central heating he told me he has it now and still runs like a sewing machine.regards kev.
Old 15th April 2007, 17:00

My location
Kev
Sadly he died a while ago and I didnt know what happened to it. It would be a fair age by now.He used to keep me entertained with the story about it,it was his pride and joy
Tom

Last edited by Tom S; 15th April 2007 at 17:03..
Old 16th April 2007, 08:19

My location
Ah , Norman Angus , the Master I most respected.
He also built his own boat while on the Naess Cavalier around '63 ,about a year I sailed with him on her.

JC
Old 16th April 2007, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
Ah , Norman Angus , the Master I most respected.
He also built his own boat while on the Naess Cavalier around '63 ,about a year I sailed with him on her.

JC
that boat is still going to in the western isles john regards kev.
Old 17th April 2007, 21:55

Reginald Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldonaich View Post
i remember you like it was yesterday but was reg clark not the seatrain naval arcitect for those ships im sure he was
Yes, he was that Naval architekt but in fact he was the one he presents the owner and that was that funny New York based Seatrain Line..
Old 17th April 2007, 23:00

yes thats right they did a programe a few years back on seatrain on the tv it looks like they were a money laundry for the mafia in the end or mabye always were who knows anything goes in america companies just look at enron etc etc regards kev.
Old 18th April 2007, 08:04

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldonaich View Post
yes thats right they did a programe a few years back on seatrain on the tv it looks like they were a money laundry for the mafia in the end or mabye always were who knows anything goes in america companies just look at enron etc etc regards kev.

Thought my 3 years sailing on all 4 were the most interesting times.
Not only the ships themselves , but the Seatrain people themselves.
Can only remember a few names now ; John..... in Weehauken the ops
man, Chuck Dunlap in Savannah. Can still see the faces of others in
Baltimore,Norfolk and Willmington but names have escaped me.
Did wew not carry quite a few class 7 (radioaactive) boxes ex NY, ( Tom ,
maybe you can help me out here ).

JC
Old 18th April 2007, 08:48

My location
John
You are correct we often carried Class 7 Boxes between NY and Le Havre had a problem with them once or twice. I dont think they would get away with it these days.
Gregg Himoff Marine Ops Director,Capt Van Geyzel Marine Super and his Son Gerry was the Bunker Controller, Commander Mike Novak Engineering Director. Of course Nick Konstantis the Excitable Engineer there was another Engineer Big Dave cant remember his last name but he was a really nice guy.
Piet Ton the European Director in Rotterdam the memory is fading a bit I will have a think and see if I can come up with some more names.
Tom

Last edited by Tom S; 18th April 2007 at 09:01..
Old 18th April 2007, 08:57

My location
Kev
Seatrain were owned by the Cahn family they started off in the Mid West of the States as Furriers and got into the Transport business at the turn of the Century they made quite a good go of it and had Container Ships and Tankers. By the time Denholms got involved Joseph Cahn was the President of the Company and he adopted the policy of Leasing,everything was leased and they got themselves heavily in Debt with the Chase Manhatten Bank that is when the Longshoremans Union which is Mafia controlled got their fingers into the pie and it all went downhill from there on. They offered me a job in the States I am glad I didnt take it now. Its a pity because as John said they were great ships and great people on the ships I really enjoyed them.
Tom

Last edited by Tom S; 18th April 2007 at 09:08..
Old 18th April 2007, 09:31

My location
Tom , you took the words right out of my mouth regarding class 7 boxes as am quite sure they wouldn't get away with it these days. In retrospect , even in those days it was chancy. As mate , I don't remember ever getting
a copy of the readings when they were loaded ( always underdeck just abaft
the ER bulkhead). None of the rigmarole nowadays concerning class 7.

Yes , of course Mike Novak. There was also a guy who used to appear when
there was any damages to cntrs or cargo. Looked as if he had just come
from the set of the Godfather. Remember piet ton and his assistent John....
Greenock there was Jim Haig and Peter Somerville ( still keep in touch with
Peter , just retired from Clydeport) . Can still remember the faces , but no
names in Le Havre and Bremerhaven.

Yes Tom . they were special days . A pity they are long gone. There will
never be ships like those again , or the people associated with them.

JC
Old 18th April 2007, 09:52

hi tom there was two familys involved what happened to the pack crowd when we took out hopepark she was owened by pack and cahn big pk on the funnel they also owned some fly by nite tanker chartering company named something like tocarphilly do you know anything about in south america i think it was norman cahn or one of them was shot outside his house going to work his nephew was president of the chase manhattan bank iremember he came alongside in his massive cabin cruiser norman angus went on board and talked about it for weeks as he said pure luxury regards kev.
Old 18th April 2007, 10:28

My location
Kev
You are correct the Pack familly were involved but on the Seatrain side it was mainly the Cahn family who controlled the Company. I got taken out for a meal with them once I never knew that kind of world existed there was no expense spared
Tom
Old 18th April 2007, 10:38

My location
John
I cant remember the names of the Bremerhaven people the Manager was a Scotsman he had been to sea and knew a lot of people I knew he married a German girl and moved to Bremerhaven and loved it there. He was quite a dour character. The operations fellow was a nice guy and again I cant remember his name but he had been involved in a bad accident on the the terminal drove under a straddle carrier and had the top of his car and his head taken off,nasty.
Alan Paterson who was Mate with the Company took peters job at Greenock and wee Jock mcVicar took over the agency.The other people I remember most were Ryan O`Hare Director Group Three, David Livingstone?Olaf Olsen Ship Managers and Davy Hogg/John Livingstone Engineering Supers and John McIntyre Cat Supt
Tom