Menu ideas anyone? - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
19:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Menu ideas anyone?

User Tag List

Old 14th October 2011, 15:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN PRUDEN View Post
make a few pans of scouse if any left next day put leftovers in pastry. it with put hairs on your chest and muscles in your s..te
What`s that you`re eating?salad,that`ll put a gloss on yer s***e
Old 21st February 2012, 08:46
Organisation: Other Navies
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1976

Is creamed chipped beef unknown in the non-American maritime world?

Despite the slang name (sh*t on a shingle), these have actually been great favorites in the USN and were great favorites of mine.

S.O.S (see above slang) is the white cream sauce dish, while 'minced beef' is a tomato based dish. The seasonings are very different, but we referred to them both as S.O.S., just defined by color..." Hey Dengler, there's red sos for chow..."

http://www.seabeecook.com/cookery/co...ooking_sos.htm

http://www.seabeecook.com/cookery/re...os_recipes.htm
Old 21st February 2012, 10:33
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

James...

If you were sail deepsea you would meet it rough enough sometimes to make you sick without help from the galley! David V
Old 21st February 2012, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoK View Post
I was on 15, 16 ships and never saw a roach. Wouldn't know one if I tripped over it.
When I was an apprentice I used to work a watch with the sailors and, during the night, used to make the tea for the new watch. On the tables, in the sailor's mess, they used to leave the cans of condensed milk out for the night watches. These cans had two holes punched in the top. I never failed to catch sight of the **** end of a cockroach sticking out of the holes as it got stuck into the milk.

Once, I caught the deckboy catching them by tilting the can and trapping them inside.

Anyone for a good cuppa char in the sailor's mess?
Old 21st February 2012, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsy View Post
God that opened the memory box I remember a 4th Eng telling me never leave em in the box throw em over the wall if you dont eat them. And 'puppy sick' was my favourite as well .
The Chief Steward used to consider night sandwiches as perks and resented apprentices having them.. He used to mix fishpaste and margerine together, warm it to a semiliquid and spread it on one side of the sandwiches with the edge of the knife.

A sailor said to me "Cor,Ginger, they arn't 'arf posh, ain't they? Orl cut corner to corner with the bleedin' crust cut orf. Wot's that pink line in the middle?
Old 21st February 2012, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8527 View Post
I couldn't resist this one....what exactly is the "English style of cooking?" Are we talking about over cooked meat, soggy veggies and a total absence of spices and taste?? Sorry, fellow Brits.
Don't forget the special treat, Sunday duff.
Old 21st February 2012, 17:26
Organisation: Other Navies
Active: 1970 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
James...

If you were sail deepsea you would meet it rough enough sometimes to make you sick without help from the galley! David V
I was fortunate to sail on a large, deep draft ship. She rode very very well, almost as good as a aircraft carrier. I've been through a couple big typhoons on her and never got sick.

On the other hand, in Reserve service afterward, I served on 2 older minesweepers. Both were wooden vessels and bobbed like corks, the small one, 368 tons, 144 feet long. She's the only one ever made me sick...
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:52

Tripe&onions with pigs trotters for starters. Who thought that one up, it's enough to make you throw your bowels up just sitting in front of it let alone eating it.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:42
Department: Electrician
Active: 1979 - 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsal View Post
Delicate pea soup is a must. here's the recipe.
Take a pint of luke warm water and whip until it is a moderately thick and creamy. Take a needle and thread and one Marrowfat pea. Thread the needle and pierce the pea. Bring the creamy water to a boil and dip the pea into it for 5 seconds only, Withdraw the pea. Serve with croutons.
If a stronger soup is preferred leave the pea dangling for 10 or 15 seconds.
You sound like the type of tight fisted sod that would use the same tea bag 10-15 times before chucking it
Old 9th March 2012, 19:40

A good pan of scouse always tastes better when a day older,but a good bacon sarnie especialy one of Stan Waters on the Liverpool dock road when staggering back to the shipis as I have posted before bloody heaven,thak God I am not Jewish.
Old 9th March 2012, 19:48

Oh another way to cook broad beans, when they are boiled drain and add knob of butter a drop of sesame oil and a dollop of english mustard stir and serve.
Old 9th March 2012, 20:50
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Going back to the original question ; I would suggest .
Breakfast ; Cereal ; Oatmeal ; Ham ( not bacon ; too messy to clean up after ) and eggs any way ( boiled is the easy way ) Fruit juice ; toast ;jam coffee .
Lunch ; Soup ( home made use a pressure cooker ; no spillage )
Cold cuts ; salad ;cheese ; bread rolls ;oatcakes biscuits . Tea
Dinner . Use a pressure cooker or slow cooker as you indicate you have little space .
Stew ; Scotch Mince ; Chilli ; Pot Roast ; Shepherds Pie ; Spagetti .
Either boiled spuds or rice as the main veg with carrots or greens .

Serve with a bottle of claret and nips to follow ( nobody will complain ) except the cook who then has to clean up !
When I am on my boat and we have cooked meals I use soup bowls ( Deep ) to serve whatever . Eveybody has to wash their own plate and cutlery.
Biggest problem on a small vessel is not so much the cooking but the clean up after .

Having written this I now realise the post is quite old ; so you have either learned or given up .
Old 31st March 2012, 13:03

Dung Tea & Urine Eggs in China, they say it's good for you.
Old 8th January 2013, 04:52
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1969 - 1975

I spent 7 years in the galley and I always did my menus a month in advance, when I was in a galley that didn't have a deep fryer I would still crumb or batter fish fillets and shallow fry them simply cook on one side and then turn them over, serve with mash potato and peas. Mince is a great all rounder if on a budget, Chilli con carne, spaghettii bolognaise, lasagna, meatloaf, burgers, beef kromeskis, just seaon mince and shape like a sausage and crumb then shallow fry. chicken, just quarter it flour it with a seasoned flour and fry it slowly, or crumb it first, you can just about curry any meat and serve on rice, when i was on a ship full of geordies I made oven bottom bread and pease pudding for them as well as steamed onion pudding, to go with the roast beef, bread is one of the easiest foods to make, it only consists of flour yeast, salt and water at its most basic level, make a dough prove it that is let it double it's size, knock it back and prove again 'til its double its size then shape it or place in bread tins allow to rise again and put it in a hot oven, you'll soon get the hang of it, I know as I have been teaching baking for about the last 30 years or so.
remember most times if it tastes good to you then it will taste good to others, generally speaking.
Good luck
Vic.
Old 4th December 2018, 13:41

Don't know if this story is b/s or not, but there was a cook on the STA Winston Churchill who always put kippers on for bfst first morning at sea, reckoned no-one ate for a day or so and kept his rate down.