Aulis (school) - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Aulis (school)

User Tag List

Old 22nd July 2007, 10:36

Hello to all,
I have just joined the site after researching some of my former vessles.
I was at Aulis from '68 to '70 as a cadet engineer. Stayed with the company until '74. Couple of years with Denholm Ship Management before emigrating to Austraia. 7 years on BHP ships before taking shore job in a Power Station.
Still here in Australia after 32 years.
I would be happy to hear from anyone who served their Cadetship with me or sailed with me.
I have fond memories of my times with BF, ED & GL, also Liverpool and Birkenhead were interesting places in those days.

Ian
Old 18th September 2007, 07:44

Hmm. October 1968 I was, with 4 other new midshipman, in the top room. We didn't have any electricity in the room but I discovered that a small 'fire-door' led into Mr Hutson's attic. Plugged in the gramophone but was caught out by Mrs H and mildly rebiked for, 'dishonestly obtaining a quantity of electricity'.
Old 26th April 2009, 21:30

My location
I also remember a story where someone came back late at night climbed up the drain pipes and entered a top window only to fall through a ceiling and end up in bed with Captain Hutson..bless him had a large night cap on.......
Old 26th April 2009, 21:45
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagyau View Post
Hi Hague.......this OW Geoff White? Haven't seen him for years.
Hi Wag ; Have you settled down in Seattle yet ? I was over to Vancouver ( Abbortsford earlier this year ). Not too far away . Keep in touch ! we will meet again .
Derek
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:31
Active: 1962 - 1988

Just read derek rogers account of his time in liverpool 1962 onwards great memory derek,we were in digs together in woodlands road aigburth with tim moreby bill beveridge and bill grey,mostly remember how bad the food was and wishing the andy stewart music would go away.Tim moreby I think lives in or around the stirling area so not so far from you if you are still in Dundee.
Old 28th September 2014, 18:14
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hogg View Post
Just read derek rogers account of his time in liverpool 1962 onwards great memory derek,we were in digs together in woodlands road aigburth with tim moreby bill beveridge and bill grey,mostly remember how bad the food was and wishing the andy stewart music would go away.Tim moreby I think lives in or around the stirling area so not so far from you if you are still in Dundee.
Hi Steve ; No I am in Canada now retired . |After I left Brocks 1976 came to Canada and been in shipbuilding until I retired . et Gerry Larkin when he was in Saint John New Brunswick when we fixed his ship !
Had a PM from Dave Dowling a while ago but lost contact .
Nice to here from you ;hope you keep well . Derek
Ma Minchells food was not that good but did sustain us .
Old 28th September 2014, 21:37
Department: Navigation

I was reminded by the floor plan for Aulis, when I was there 1965/6 (went to see Dylan in the town with a mate who had a Lee Enfield Crusader Sports, second name Toombs, always called Sebastian after the Saint (?), the long corridor on the top floor was where we used to open the door and fling a Powerball (hard, high bounce rate) down the corridor as hard as we could, then shut the door and listen to it rattle up and down the corridor. A simple pleasure. That must have been when I was doing MAR (Mid apprenticeship release). I must have been there earlier as well, when I joined the company. I never got to Aberdovey (I really wanted to go), as they shipped me out fairly quickly. I can't imagine my very low skills was wanted for anything useful. I remember being interviewed, at the end Hutson, (I think), said "I can't say anything about your success with your application, but here is a set of Company buttons".

Last edited by Farmer John; 28th September 2014 at 21:49..
Old 26th September 2018, 18:17
Active: 1962 - 2011

To Derek Roger. Hi, I'm the Rick Foster mentioned in your post re Aulis. I'm now retired and living in Australia. See my web site and work history on
http://fscs-techtalk.com
Also i have a copy of the photo mentioned taken in Soho it is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soho.jpg (216.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 26th September 2018, 21:57
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by selwyn thomas View Post
I also remember a story where someone came back late at night climbed up the drain pipes and entered a top window only to fall through a ceiling and end up in bed with Captain Hutson..bless him had a large night cap on.......
I joined Ocean Fleets in the Jan 80 Eng. Cadet intake. We were only at Aulis until March when we moved to Iliad House in Birkenhead. I do remember though that one Year 2 E/C came back late one night, climbed the drainpipe to get into the single cabin building and fell through a skylight onto a pool table.

When we were in 2nd. year and said E/C came back to Birkenhead Tech as Phase 3, he suffered a fit in the refectory. I was able to assist him (having seen and dealt with fits at camp in the USA). I believe that he sinished his studies and left OF thereafter.

Rgds.
Dave
Old 23rd April 2019, 13:09
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1984

2019 Ocean Fleets Reunion for ex Nav and Eng cadets.

We will be holding the 2019 Ocean Fleets Reunion for ex Nav and Eng Cadets on 17-19 May 2019 in Portishead near Bristol. Some of the time will be spent in the old Bristol Port, on SS Great Britain and the Balmoral as well as a few drinking dens of course. The main event Saturday night will be at the H&W pub situated on Portishead Marina. (the pub is made out of shipping containers).
Anyone interested in joining us, then please contact me or Allan James on this site or via Facebook / Messenger / Whatsapp etc. All welcome.
Old 24th May 2019, 09:01

Hi All ex Ocean Fleets chaps
most of us are past 60s here in Singapore and Malaysia.
Please drop us a line to touch base.
Cheers, Sylvester and Goh Toh Sek (go-go)
Old 24th May 2019, 10:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1984

Hi Sylvester, & GoGo. Good to hear from you. I'm ex Ocean Fleets... Nav Officer. Started at Aulis in 74 and left as 2/O in 83. I was one of the oganisers of the recent Ocean Trading and Transport Reunion in Bristol. Around 45 turned up to enjoy the weekend together. Age raging from 70 to late 50s.
Are you aware of the Blue Funnel, Elder Dempster and Ocean Tading Facebook pages. Lots of members on all of these. 1300 or more on the Blue Flue site. My email address is "[email protected]" if you want more info on what is going on. We are investigating setting up a membership society to embrace all ex OTT staff ...work in progress . They are quite a few members on the Facebook sites from Malaysia and Singapore already. If you need help with the Facebook sites, let me know. Lots and lots of old photos there as well. All the best, Ross
Old 4th July 2019, 15:27

I was at Aulis early 1967 and again on MAR in summer 1968. Cadets at that time Nick Hambleton. Dave Morrison. Fraser Hartley. Rod Pace. Terry Lunt. Spike Mundela toname a few. First deep sea was on Dolius senior cadet Wally? Great times and good days
Old 4th July 2019, 20:20
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Some of you may be interested to learn that Colin Busby, who was in charge of Aulis for a while (and one of the finest Chief Engineers I sailed under) has just celebrated his 79th birthday.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)