British tanker seized - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

British tanker seized

User Tag List

Old 20th July 2019, 09:37

In all the goings on the men who are the pawns in this tit for tat piracy and that is what it is are the crews of whatever nationality ,the tanker boarded in Gib as well,remember brethren they are seamen and are worthy and in need of our prayers and thoughts,the governments of all sides don't give a damn for them we should,another earlier post referred to young men here in the u.k.not wishing to got to sea is wrong the fact is the owners for max profit use poorer countries. For crews and pay them peanuts but again I ask for your thoughts and prayers for all our seafaring brethren from whatever country.
Old 20th July 2019, 10:27

Interesting that the tanker seized at Gibralta was on a EU directive backing the blocking of oil to Syria, and as a result we have this situation in the Gulf with a British registered tanker, this got to me thinking , how many EU countries are supplying ships to guard the Gulf, France , Belgium, Holland, Spain etc, all have naval vessels. I have been looking for that info, but drawn a blank at the moment
Old 20th July 2019, 10:59
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011

It is not wringing of hands and appealing to one's shaman of choice that will help them but governors that are prepared to protect our supply lines, the minimum expectation of the taxpayer. Self interest will motivate them whilst a moral ethic might be too much for them. It does not matter what epidermal hue is shared by the crew except that our governors can avoid some of the opprobrium when they choose to sideline the event because of the non British(more inexpensive) human factor. The damage to the economy is the virtually the same.

Last edited by Varley; 20th July 2019 at 14:17..
Old 20th July 2019, 11:04
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.kearsley View Post
Suprises me that there has been no statement from Stena/ Denmark as even though the ship is flying the red Ensign the co that owns it is Danish, or am I mistaken.

"The vessel's owners said it was fully complying with regulations and was in international waters when it was approached.

It said there no reported injuries among the 23 crew members, who are Indian, Russian, Latvian and Filipino
." Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49054586
Old 20th July 2019, 12:43
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertumclean View Post
What nationality are the crew of the Stena ImperoÖ does anyone know??
All Indian nationals including the Old Man.

BW

J
Old 20th July 2019, 13:14
Active: 1950 - 2000

My location
Quote:
Suprises me that there has been no statement from Stena/ Denmark as even though the ship is flying the red Ensign the co that owns it is Danish, or am I mistaken.
You are mistaken, Stena is Swedish. Stena Offshore took over the Company that I worked for in Aberdeen, in the late 80's. I worked for them for about 6months then was made redundant, best thing that ever happened to me.
Old 20th July 2019, 14:21
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Quote:
You are mistaken! This is what Stena had to say:-

"Stena Bulk has issued the following statement about M/V Stena Impero, the British-flagged oil tanker that Iran claims to have siezed.

Stena Bulk and Northern Marine Management can confirm that at approximately 1600 BST on 19th July UK registered vessel Stena Impero (built 2018, 49,683 DWT) was approached by unidentified small crafts and a helicopter during transit of the Strait of Hormuz while the vessel was in international waters. We are presently unable to contact the vessel which is now heading north towards Iran.

There are 23 seafarers aboard. There have been no reported injuries and their safety is of primary concern to both owners and managers. The priority of both vessel owner Stena Bulk and ship manager Northern Marine Management is the safety and welfare of the crew.

Northern Marine Management has not been able to establish contact directly with the vessel since it was notified of the incident at approximately 1600 Today, 19th July 2019.
We are in close contact with UK government authorities."
Old 20th July 2019, 16:11
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by callpor View Post
You are mistaken! This is what Stena had to say:-

"Stena Bulk has issued the following statement about M/V Stena Impero, the British-flagged oil tanker that Iran claims to have siezed.

Stena Bulk and Northern Marine Management can confirm that at approximately 1600 BST on 19th July UK registered vessel Stena Impero (built 2018, 49,683 DWT) was approached by unidentified small crafts and a helicopter during transit of the Strait of Hormuz while the vessel was in international waters. We are presently unable to contact the vessel which is now heading north towards Iran.

There are 23 seafarers aboard. There have been no reported injuries and their safety is of primary concern to both owners and managers. The priority of both vessel owner Stena Bulk and ship manager Northern Marine Management is the safety and welfare of the crew.

Northern Marine Management has not been able to establish contact directly with the vessel since it was notified of the incident at approximately 1600 Today, 19th July 2019.
We are in close contact with UK government authorities."
If Northern Marine and Stena Bulk are concerned about the safety and welfare of the crew, that will be a first ! As they didn't care about their crews, when the Stena King\Queen went to scrap. Said they would look after us and the next thing that happened, my wages stopped without notice !! and No redundancy payment after working for them for 13 years !

Last edited by stevekelly10; 20th July 2019 at 18:21..
Old 20th July 2019, 16:36
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEITHMAR View Post
Trump probably paid someone ,just to get Britain involved ? .... what lesson is that which the Iranians need "to learn" Steve , is it the same one that the Saudis and the Americans need to learn. ?
Politics in Stormy Weather please folks!
Old 20th July 2019, 16:57

My location
Fair comment Art. .... sorry, But sometimes adding a comment to an interesting thread ,the brain often moves a bit quicker, .... Thank God it still can??
Old 20th July 2019, 19:21
Active: 1956 - 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypcoll View Post
Interesting that the tanker seized at Gibralta was on a EU directive backing the blocking of oil to Syria, and as a result we have this situation in the Gulf with a British registered tanker, this got to me thinking , how many EU countries are supplying ships to guard the Gulf, France , Belgium, Holland, Spain etc, all have naval vessels. I have been looking for that info, but drawn a blank at the moment
I have been trying to find out what Brussels are saying about what is. Going on. Seems we are being ignored by them, itís nice to have friends who take your cash and disappear when you would expect some sort of comment. It goes to prove they are not to be trusted.
Old 20th July 2019, 20:30
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
Does it matter what nationality the crew is ? Piracy is Piracy ! I am sure if Iran wants a fight, they have far fewer ships than the forces that will respond to their attacks on innocent vessels ! and they will loose !
However in a war everybody loses.
Old 20th July 2019, 22:07

ref 27, this is the only response i can find from the EU,lovely wide comfortable fence to sit on i believe, God knows how they perceive the word UNITED Europe, nothing further from the truth

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1TM1JR
Old 20th July 2019, 22:31

My location
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/eu-e...eizure/1537279

Took me 2 minutes to find.
Old 20th July 2019, 22:54
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
If Northern Marine and Stena Bulk are concerned about the safety and welfare of the crew, that will be a first ! As they didn't care about their crews, when the Stena King\Queen went to scrap. Said they would look after us and the next thing that happened, my wages stopped without notice !! and No redundancy payment after working for them for 13 years !
Regrettably, happens in airlines as well. When it happened to me I was lucky to be in a financial situation where the personal effect was containable.
Old 20th July 2019, 22:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hilton View Post
However in a war everybody loses.
True. I thought that avoiding war was what we paid our poloticians for and, when they failed, what we paid our military for.

That's not very well argued, is it?
Old 20th July 2019, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypcoll View Post
ref 27, this is the only response i can find from the EU,lovely wide comfortable fence to sit on i believe, God knows how they perceive the word UNITED Europe, nothing further from the truth

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1TM1JR
Yes, as you say " . . . but see no reason to intervene . . chairman Donald Tusk said on Friday after an EU summit."

Anything else is not the EU official line.
Old 20th July 2019, 23:21

My location
........a foretaste of life after 31st October?

Having left the collective security of 27 nations we will be alone.

Won't we?
Old 21st July 2019, 04:30
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
........a foretaste of life after 31st October?

Having left the collective security of 27 nations we will be alone.

Won't we?
No, we will back you up. We should be able to rustle up a Loch class frigate and a couple of DH Vampire Jets from our 'come in handy' stores and rush to your aid , see you about Christmas time with some spring lamb , Anchor butter , some Lion Red beer and a Maori Haka team to fight the evil.

Bob
Old 21st July 2019, 06:21
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
AS clearly noted the majority of the Crew are Indians, India has a Navy and the are close to the Straits of Hormuz, so where are their warships protecting their Nationals?
Old 21st July 2019, 06:39

My location
Congratulations D Trump. YOU have upset the apple cart.
Old 21st July 2019, 17:05
Active: 1964 - 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Janner View Post
AS clearly noted the majority of the Crew are Indians, India has a Navy and the are close to the Straits of Hormuz, so where are their warships protecting their Nationals?
Your comment is spot on. Not only do they have a Navy but it is a fair size as well. As well as a sizeable, reasonably well developed blue sea Navy they also have a large space program. Meanwhile, the U.K. is still providing huge amounts every year in aid

LouisB
Old 21st July 2019, 17:50

Frigates would have been more use to us than the white elephant aircraft carrier.
Old 21st July 2019, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein View Post
The British impound an Iranian tanker for breaking sanctions by the British and their allies, the Iranians then answer with what must seem to them exactly the same action. No sailor on either ship has so far been hurt, and the start of it all must be squarely laid on the door of the Americans, who renegaded on international agreements, signed by them. If we are dragged into a Mideast conflagration by petulant tweets from a boor and a bully like Trump, we really deserve whatever damages comes our way. The problem here is surely not one of missing naval strength on our side, but a bit of calm and common sense.
I agree with you. Anyone who is surprised by the Iranian reaction to the UK arrest of their tanker is naÔve, IMO. UK politicians are so busy with Brexit that their defence policy is up the wall, along with NHS, police, education and other internal matters.
Old 21st July 2019, 19:12
Active: 1968 - 2009

Apparently HMS Montrose was an hour away and could not intervene ! This leaves me to wonder what would have happened if she was closer ? What are the rules of engagement ?