What goes on in the Galley. - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
22:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

What goes on in the Galley.

User Tag List

Old 27th September 2010, 18:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1949 - 1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macphail View Post
The Captain complained many times about his tough steak, sent it back, the cook threw it on the galley floor, stamped on it a lot, brushed it down, heated it up, applied a nice sauce, happy Captain.
Chief Engineer treated his steward like S**it, chicken curry, he had only bones, the rest had meat.
We have all had the half cockie in the stew, where is the other half.
How many bogies in the soup.
The Captain and Chief Engineer had an extended lunch time G &T, came down for late lunch, all gone, the cook had thrown everything overboard including his pots and pans.

Tell us about the Galley.
I can recall one morning on the ss Caronia (the Jolly Green Giant) at about 7.45am, The Head Chef walked into the galley and there was not a single soul there, the poor man almost had a seizure. It turned out that it was one of the comis chef's birthday and the midships Pig & Whistle barman had opened the bar for what was commonly called "early morning mass". They were having a ball down there. As it turned out breakfast was not delayed at all and as far as I know nothing more was said about it.
Pete Leonard
Old 28th September 2010, 13:40

My location
Brocklebank ships were usually pretty good feeders but there were a few problems on one, which shall remain nameless to protect the guilty. Braised brisket of beef was a regular item on the dinner menu. It was usually so tough that you could sole your shoes with it. The remainder of the meat went through the bacon slicer and was put into the sandwiches in the supper boxes. On the night in question the brisket had been particularly tough and was all but inedible unless you had tungsten steel teeth. A junior officer (again nameless to protect the guilty) and I collected all the meat from the supper boxes and attached each piece with drawing pins to the Chief Steward's door until it looked like an armadillo hide. Needless to say there was a huge investigation but nobody grassed as everybody else was as fed up as we were.

Happy days
Old 30th September 2010, 19:44
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1949 - 1958

Just to stir up an old thread, does anyone remember "Chemico" the best cleaning agent on the planet. I don't think I sailed on a ship that didn't have this cleaning paste. I thought that the company had gone bust because I couldn't buy it anywhere ashore. So I couldn't believe my eyes when I walked into the ironmongers Thorns in Norwich recently looking for something completely different and there right in front of the counter was a display of the very stuff. I was chuffed.
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwzm View Post
Brocklebank ships were usually pretty good feeders but there were a few problems on one, which shall remain nameless to protect the guilty. Braised brisket of beef was a regular item on the dinner menu. It was usually so tough that you could sole your shoes with it. The remainder of the meat went through the bacon slicer and was put into the sandwiches in the supper boxes. On the night in question the brisket had been particularly tough and was all but inedible unless you had tungsten steel teeth. A junior officer (again nameless to protect the guilty) and I collected all the meat from the supper boxes and attached each piece with drawing pins to the Chief Steward's door until it looked like an armadillo hide. Needless to say there was a huge investigation but nobody grassed as everybody else was as fed up as we were.

Happy days
I used my best oil groove cutting skill's and carved the word "s***e" in a piece of meat(I use the word meat loosely) and sent it back, I was reported of course but as I was only doing the one trip it was of no consquence to me but I enjoyed the look on their face's when it was offered up as evidence.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 9th October 2010, 15:17

Oh the memories I was galley boy ships Peggy & 2nd cook & can vouch for nearly everything said on here When I was ships Peggy on The Lancastrian Prince we had the unluckiest 2nd cook in the world. 1 day he put the beans in soak for the next days breakfast. So next day he is finishing it off with a loud shout of 'I have cracked Heinz recipe'! By lunch a small queue had built up from all the toilets & over the next 12 hours the crew were leaving the toilet & rejoining the end of the queue! We could not work out what had gone wrong as every one was effected 'cept me & my mate who didn't have the beans. The look on his face was a gem as he remembered that after soaking the beans he didn't wash them off. The crew suffered the trots for about 2 days
Soft soap ....... Gave me dermatitis on my 1st trip all my hands were split couldn't get away with it nowdays. Teepol was a luxury
Old 14th October 2011, 14:51
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca57 View Post
We had one Purser on the Clan Ranald, who served nut burger rings two or three times a week, his wife travelling with him complained about the fare he servd up, his response keep quiet.
The Chief Nooky Nichols was becoming fed up with the fare provided, so he instigated a nightly midnigh raid on the ships fridges.
He cooked excellent food on the baby Belling in the Engineers mess.
One day the Captain at breakfast said to the remarked to the Chief, two things, firstly he expressed concern that the engineeers didn't appear for breakfast, and that it wasn't good for us, how could we after having a meal at midnight.
Secondly, at midnight a strange smell permeates the ship (she was A/C), it was the captains way of telling us to back off.
Strangely enough the food quaility and menus improved after that.
When were you on the Ranald,were you sailing with Alec Mair?I remember Nicholls the C/E he gave me the best 21st.birthday present you can ever imagine.
Old 14th October 2011, 15:04
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Well said, Stevie, I don't agree with applauding infantile behaviour either. From time to time we all had to put up with bumptious superiors - that's life.

John T.

Each and every day I meet many pleasant,polite people and the odd ********.Running a pub is just like working on board ship and I have never deliberately poisoned anyone.Just keeping a victorian kichen safe and within EHO requirements is enough