Mahseer - Mahe - Ships Nostalgia
23:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mahseer - Mahe

User Tag List

Old 29th April 2005, 19:29

My location
Mahseer - Mahe

Mahseer discharging Costains plant in Seychelles Feb-Mar 1969
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mahseer-mahe.jpg (35.9 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg Mahseer-mahe-anchorage.jpg (46.2 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by R798780; 1st May 2005 at 22:15..
Old 1st May 2005, 19:12

Nice one Mr S....That brings back some great forgotton times. It's amazing the things Brocks were involved with and at the time we all just took it for granted....keep the memories coming man...john g
Old 1st May 2005, 20:16

Here here John g, great memory jogger Hugh, great forgotten times as you say. My introduction to Sharky Clark by senior ships company members was an education, and the resulting friendships made with a well known Seychellois family is enduring to this day ! One of the better places Brocklebanks had trade links with! was this taken in the 60`s Hugh?
Old 4th May 2005, 22:48

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael james
Here here John g, great memory jogger Hugh, great forgotten times as you say. My introduction to Sharky Clark by senior ships company members was an education, and the resulting friendships made with a well known Seychellois family is enduring to this day ! One of the better places Brocklebanks had trade links with! was this taken in the 60`s Hugh?
Just; 1969
Old 23rd August 2005, 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael james
Yes Sharky Clark, what a paradise the Seychelles, did several trips on the Maskeliya. The islands have been ruined by the tourists etc now, we were fortunate to experience them when we did. I still have my cocoanut de mer, and many slides.
Trevor
Old 23rd August 2005, 23:39

Trevor,
You hit the nail right on the head, we were extreemly lucky to have seen and experienced the Seychelles as it was before the commercial developments really got going,and ruined the islands. Do you remember the old Sunderland flying boat bring the weekly mail from Mombasa and landing in the anchorage off Mahe?
Old 24th August 2005, 20:37

Certainly do, Mike, and the BI boat was also delivering mail, but only the Brocks ships spent any real time there. They were "our" islands in those days, we picked up turtles one trip for the Columbo Zoo, kept them in the masthouse. Maskeliya was a regular and I was on her almost 2 years.
We were also fortunate to be at sea before containers, we all knew what the cargo was, and it could be pretty exotic at times. Now it's just a box, of what? Who knows what is in a container. Discharging was slower so we had more port time, yes Mike those were great days to be at sea, we even had air conditioning in the 60's. Ever get to Gan or the Moldives
Cheers, Trevor
Old 19th November 2005, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes Sharky Clark, what a paradise the Seychelles, did several trips on the Maskeliya. The islands have been ruined by the tourists etc now, we were fortunate to experience them when we did. I still have my cocoanut de mer, and many slides.
Trevor
Trevor... You are not wrong there...I had the privelage of visiting Paradise in 1967 with the Grey Funnel line and a better place you could not find in the world...Thanks gents for stiring the old grey matter.
Aye
Mike
Old 9th December 2007, 21:39

Mike,
We are in the 21st century, I said now. Where have you been?
Trevor
Old 9th December 2007, 22:34

My location
On another occasion I recall visiting Seychelles on Mawana in '67. There was an RFA ship in and we were invited across. Well as apprentice I "HAD" to go - and forgo a night up the road. Dancing on the boat deck, some lady would have me dance despite my protest. I think I only trod on her twice, and since I can't dance other than the stand on the spot shuffle to Animals-Beatles-Pretty Things-Stones, that was doing well. The beer wasn't bad though and for a sprog that could only be good. I see the odd RFA pic and wonder if that was the one in Mahé at the same time but never sure.
Old 9th December 2007, 22:37

My location
i remember sailing with a 3/0 called james grandcourt, from the seychelles.....
obviously a close brocks connection with the islands
Old 9th December 2007, 23:06
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Was last there in 1974 on the Mahsud .
The new wharf was just opened and we were first ship to go alongside as I recollect .
At the time I was doing a UK coastal on her and taking "new Chief Engineers " deep sea for a month or two to train them on the running of UMS vessels ; and on that trip I decided the "New Chief " had had enough training and managed to arrange to be relieved in Mahe !!
Further to that there were very few B.O.A.C flights at that time and I met a lady at a Costains dance who asked how long I was staying on the Island ; I explained that I was due to fly out in a couple of days ; she then told me she was the BOAC manager in Victoria and was " Sure " all the seats were taken for that flight and arranged a new flight out a few days later which meant I had to stay for about a week ! All expenses paid .
Oh Happy Days
Old 10th December 2007, 07:47
Active: 1963 - 2011

Took surveyors out to Mahe from Durban on the mid '60s. The told us that the runway was to be built to be capable of taking the V bombers, in case Gan and Diego Garcia became "No Go areas".

Seem to remember that the surveyors, or at least one, were MOD surveyors.

Rgds.
Old 10th December 2007, 12:09

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
i remember sailing with a 3/0 called james grandcourt, from the seychelles.....
obviously a close brocks connection with the islands
Flavian Renaud was 3/0 on Luminetta in about 1978, a very black Seychellois, and very good. Interesting that we went across to drink beer on SA Zebedila in Jeddah. He became the chosen one to be 3/0 on the "new" Atlantic Conveyor.

Last edited by R798780; 10th December 2007 at 12:12..
Old 10th December 2007, 20:40

My location
obviously contempories hugh, it was mid/late 1970s when i sailed with 3/0 grandcourt on one of the act boats, which one i can never remember.
with such insipid names as act 2 and act 6 there is nothing to differentiate the two in memory when one has sailed on both a number of times
Old 10th December 2007, 21:47
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
obviously contempories hugh, it was mid/late 1970s when i sailed with 3/0 grandcourt on one of the act boats, which one i can never remember.
with such insipid names as act 2 and act 6 there is nothing to differentiate the two in memory when one has sailed on both a number of times
Did you sail with Davie Meek from Dundee . He was Chief on them last time I saw him . Visited Saint John a couple of times .
Regards Derek
Old 10th December 2007, 22:01

My location
chengs were don leitner, australian........and dave burden..northeast enland
both top guys.

2/engs were arlen goonawardene ....... sri lanka and gerry watson.....greasby......

among others of course.............

i recall st john.........a hell of a range of tide there if im not mistaken, and a pub called the captain beattie???????
and a nurses home.....

Last edited by sparkie2182; 10th December 2007 at 22:05..
Old 11th December 2007, 01:09
Super Moderator

My location
Tides are very high ; 6 to 7 meters is not uncommon . Admiral Beatie no longer exsists So much for progress !
Cheers Derek
Old 11th December 2007, 02:49

We took to of the Costains Foremen to Mahe on the Matra, early 1969, along with a Shovel and Crawler tractor. The two Costains guys were characters, if I remember correctly their names where Grimes and Fortune. I guess it was the beginning of the end for the islands solitude.

Cheers,
Nick Jones
Old 11th December 2007, 08:27
Active: 1963 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
Tides are very high ; 6 to 7 meters is not uncommon . Admiral Beatie no longer exsists So much for progress !
Cheers Derek
Tides only similarity with Immingham then. Couldn't confuse the Admiral Beatie with the Lock In or the County.
Rgds.
Old 12th December 2007, 17:58

I truly enjoyed the Seychelles. I was there ( Victoria, Mahe ) mid 1970 in Mahseer as R/O. It was quite an eventful visit. I recall coming back to the jolly boat pier to see the light flashing didah didah from the bridge wing. I and a few others managed to get aboard a German cruise liner which was alongside ( despite the gangway guards) and their officer of the watch allowed us to use their light to respond. The resulting message was 'get police, now!' So, we did and travelled out on the police launch to find the old man barricaded on the bridge. Apparently he had tried to remove the lady 'guests' of the crew and they had taken umbrage! To my eternal shame I cannot remember a) who was with me....too much drink, and b) who was Master on that trip, but he was a slight man with tight curly hair and a roman nose. My excuse is that I have had a busy life since then and there are a few drop outs...... who was it I wonder?

Happy days...
Old 13th December 2007, 10:08
Department: Navigation
Active: 1944 - 1989

Docgk,
Do you still possess your old discharge book? If so the Master's name will be on the last section.
Regards.
Old 13th December 2007, 17:00

Thanks Tony. The thought resulted in a marathon loft search! However, success was achieved ( well nearly). Murphy's Law applies of course and the signature is nigh unreadable ( the only one that is!). Best efforts at decipherment yield a possible:

?arry O'By???

Anyone recognise it?
Old 13th December 2007, 19:03
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1950 - 1961

D A M O'Byrne

The names of attendees at the 1993 reunion included Captain and Mrs D A M O'Byrne, this is possibly the name in your discharge book. Cheer, Roger
Old 13th December 2007, 20:05
Department: Navigation
Active: 1944 - 1989

Roger,I think you are on the right track. Was it by any chance Derek O'Byrne? I am a bit confused by the the prefix ?arry. We will get there in the end fear not.
Cheers