calling ex city boats crew - Ships Nostalgia
23:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

calling ex city boats crew

User Tag List

Old 24th December 2008, 01:05

calling ex city boats crew

HI from NZ. It was a dark and stormy night as the story goes. I was walking through the Durban docks from the Cairnforth which was chartered to ED's at the time ,around 1964. I stopped to watch a city boat coming in to berth at a fair rate of knots. I realised she wasn't going to make it and stood transfixed. Bells and whistles sounded and I could see figures running from the f'cstle head .Up she came on the wharf with a crash. There were three dockside cranes at that point and I watched her hit the first one which rocked on its wheels . The same with the second one. The third one rocked too while I stood gaping but this one kept coming. I did a cartoon take off,legs pumping on air and dived under a wagon.The crane brought down power lines which sizzled and flashed.It's true, twisting metal does scream and the sheer noise was stunning. I was unhurt but absolutely gobsmacked by what I had seen. I wonder is there any crewmen out there who might have been on that ship? I'd like to hear that side of the story. JGG