Stag Line query - Ships Nostalgia
19:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stag Line query

User Tag List

Old 22nd December 2018, 17:16

Stag Line query

Hello - I am hoping to find out some information about my father, Cpt William (Bill) Grugan who worked for Stag Line in the 40s and 50s. He was swept overboard in September 1953 when I was 9 yrs old. He was on the North Atlantic run during the war and I think he may have served on the Linaria, Photinia or Cydonia if the dates fit. My only memory is having a crew member called Harry Handsome, who had a girlfriend called Cynthia, delegated to look after me and I really thought he lived up to his name! The Merchant Navy/Trinity House looked after my education and the school was run like a ship with duties like kit inspection and cleaning for us all! Fingers crossed someone can help.
Old 22nd December 2018, 18:07

My location
Stag Line Query

Hello I was Apprentice on the S.S. Linaria Stag Line on a voyage from the 1st September to 3rd October 1953. We sailed from Middlesbrough to Wabana Canada for a cargo of iron ore for Newport. On the voyage from Wabana to Newport we ran into heavy weather. The vessel was shipping heavy seas and the Chief Officer and 3rd Officer went on the foredeck to check the hatches. The vessel shipped a massive sea the Chief Officer was washed overboard the 3rd Officer was caught up against the bulwark and saved. We searched the area for 24 hours but did not find the Chief Officer. I don't remember their names could your Father been sailing as Chief Officer at this time. Stag Line records are held at Blandford House, Blandford Square, Newcastle on Tyne under reference number 628. Hope this is of some help to you.
Kind Regards Bill
Old 23rd December 2018, 16:10

Try these for a start: http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D4335533 and http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C9717646

Dave W
Old 23rd December 2018, 20:25
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantramp View Post
I don't remember their names could your Father been sailing as Chief Officer at this time.
Just to confirm that William Grugan was indeed sailing as the Mate on LINARIA when he was lost overboard on 25 September 1953. Details from the Deaths at Sea Register.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”