Chief Stewards good and bad - Ships Nostalgia
17:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Chief Stewards good and bad

User Tag List

Old 24th November 2009, 18:56

Chief Stewards good and bad

On Neocardia part of Shell's eastern fleet we of course had a Chinese crew. All ships of the Eastern Fleet did. They were very good with certain exeptions. The Chief steward and second steward we had were as different as chalk and cheese. The former was a fat round individual who crept around everything and everybody, the latter was short thin and a definite communist stirer whom I had logged on a number of occasions for disobedience. The chief steward was always sucking air between his teeth when he spoke, not a very likeable chap. As 2nd mate it was part of my job to oversee the catering. One day he came to my cabin saying 'I want speeky you about 2nd steward.' He proceeded to explain that neither he nor the other stewards or other crew members liked this man. He obviously knew that I didn't either; with that in mind proceeded to tell me in no uncertain terms that should I desire it, he had plenty of friends in Singapore who would be only too pleased to hasten his departure from this earth!!. Many visions passed through my mind at the time. One was having my name plastered over the front of the Straits Times for conspiracy to murder. Any way the chief steward left my cabin a little disillusioned. Food was generally good on Chinese crew ships. The only other crew I sailed with was Spanish; quite a novelty. The food was not too bad either.
Old 24th November 2009, 19:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

I thought it was the Chief Steward's job to take care of the Catering !

Why a 2nd mate was doing it is a puzzle or was the Ch/Stwd that bad that you did not trust him to do the job ? in that case he should have been sacked.

I only sailed with British crews so apologise if foreign crews were run different

As to Chief Stewards I have to say that in 17 years I never sailed with a bad one
Old 25th November 2009, 15:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleymerchant View Post
I thought it was the Chief Steward's job to take care of the Catering !

Why a 2nd mate was doing it is a puzzle or was the Ch/Stwd that bad that you did not trust him to do the job ? in that case he should have been sacked.

I only sailed with British crews so apologise if foreign crews were run different

As to Chief Stewards I have to say that in 17 years I never sailed with a bad one
I agree with the first three lines, as for never sailed with a bad one!!!! Unfortunately I came across a few in 23 years, especially the one who used to lock himself in the bond locker and only come out when he was so full of booze he didn,t know where he was!!
The best I sailed with was of course myself (only joking). Sailed on the Sir Andrew Duncan in the 60,s
Old 25th November 2009, 15:53
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 2005

My location
In over 30 years of sailing on American Ships there have been very few good Stewards, more than a few bad ones. Most of the Stewards were mediocre in their jobs. How bad can you get with a fixed weekly menu set by the unlicensed Union Contract even the peanut butter brand was dictated by the contract and a fixed storing list when ordered in the states.

My pet peeve was the Stewards that would not put the fresh fruit out before they went bad and had to be cleared out of the Vegetable Box and put in the trash. One of my earlier jobs while in high school was working in the produce department of a grocery store I would go the produce mart twice a week and pick up the fresh fruit and vegetables. I would also remove the over ripe produce off of the display counters.

Joe
Old 25th November 2009, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN TYLER View Post
I agree with the first three lines, as for never sailed with a bad one!!!! Unfortunately I came across a few in 23 years, especially the one who used to lock himself in the bond locker and only come out when he was so full of booze he didn,t know where he was!!
The best I sailed with was of course myself (only joking). Sailed on the Sir Andrew Duncan in the 60,s
Sailed with a few bad Chief Stewards but in 49 years sailed with a lot of bad Masters,Chief Officers and Chief Engineers
Old 25th November 2009, 20:09

Of all the Chief stewards I have known, only two stand out; 'Motorbike' Griffiths in Blue Funnel, who marched to a different drum but was generous with the grub, and Jimmy Duffy in T & J Harrisons, a good friend and a fine Chief Steward.
Pat
Old 25th November 2009, 20:52
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Pat,
I thoroughly agree with you - Ron 'Motorbike' Griffiths, a great ChStwd, a veritable BF legend and a great bloke to boot! I wonder if he is still around - He was from New Brighton.
Regards,
Dave

Last edited by makko; 25th November 2009 at 20:53.. Reason: Grammar
Old 25th November 2009, 21:12
Active: 1960 - 2002

John Hankin was a good Chief Steward with BF , a very good sense of humour.

John.
Old 25th November 2009, 21:22

Talking Motor Bike Griiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Of all the Chief stewards I have known, only two stand out; 'Motorbike' Griffiths in Blue Funnel, who marched to a different drum but was generous with the grub, and Jimmy Duffy in T & J Harrisons, a good friend and a fine Chief Steward.
Pat
Motor Bike Griff that old scoundrel i sailed with him on the P&OCL he was a good old boy he is still alive
Old 25th November 2009, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
Pat,
I thoroughly agree with you - Ron 'Motorbike' Griffiths, a great ChStwd, a veritable BF legend and a great bloke to boot! I wonder if he is still around - He was from New Brighton.
Regards,
Dave
Dave,
I dont know if he is still with us, I last saw him in the Hotel Victoria in NB, holding forth with a group of his friends, must be over twenty years ago.
A couple more Chiefs from Blueys have come to mind, Jake Finn and Johnny Barton, both from Wallasey, and both drank in the Primrose when home on leave, in fact, Johnny Barton lived next door to that pub.
Regards,
Pat
Old 25th November 2009, 21:49
Active: 1970 - Present

There is a certain "wee" fellow who is a regular contributor to the various threads on this site and I can honestly say he was probably the best I sailed with.

We did not have chief stewards on the FOC ships I was on as the old man took care of that.

Many stories out there about an ex RSM who worked for Houlders and when I was on the Uncle John (North Sea) for a short period the food was fantastic but I can not tell you who was in charge.

I think the feeding rate back then on Houlders Gas boats was about 1.50 pounds per man per day but in the North Sea it was about 11 pounds per man per day or at least it felt like it. All of the reguar lads were on diets but I knew I was only going to be there for a few days so I ate like a pig.
Old 26th November 2009, 11:13

My location
I wonder if that "Wee" fellow has the initials L.H. a good man and long time ship mate. Pleased to say I worked on the "Uncle John" as both Ch/Cook and Ch/Steward, cost was not really a problem in the 70s/80s. Happy Days.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:46

Alan,

You get the prize for guessing the Initials correctly.

Am I right in remembering on the Uncle John in the dining area there was a small room you first stood in line in and then you collected your food. I do remember there was the regular lads getting a peice of fish and rice thanks to there diets and then there was me trying to get three steaks and as many fries (chips) on one plate. It was vertically challenged.

Then there was the desert shelves with all kinds of cakes and soft ice cream.

Am I just dreaming or after 36 years do I still remember. I was onboard when it came in from Norway to the Tyne and was the first vessel in the world to be in two dry docks at the same time.

I think I had met LH not long before that on the Cumbria.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:56
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

The best Chief Steward I ever sailed with was Jackie Moore of Harrisons of Liverpool. Fantastic food and a great guy.
Incidentally I used to drink in the Primrose when I was on leave.
Pat Baker.
Old 26th November 2009, 21:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter (Pat) Baker View Post
The best Chief Steward I ever sailed with was Jackie Moore of Harrisons of Liverpool. Fantastic food and a great guy.
Incidentally I used to drink in the Primrose when I was on leave.
Pat Baker.
Peter,
At the time I'm talking about, late fifties to about 1970, Ted Savage the ex Man Utd and Liverpool footballer was the boss of the Primrose, and his wife Anne and delicious daughter Lorna used to run it. A splendid pub full of seamen in those days.
We used to fall out of there at ten thirty and go straight into the British Legion next door, then taxis down to the Davy Jones Locker at Eggie Ferry until all hours.
happy days.
Regards,
Pat
Old 26th November 2009, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINEJOCKY View Post
Alan,

You get the prize for guessing the Initials correctly.

Am I right in remembering on the Uncle John in the dining area there was a small room you first stood in line in and then you collected your food. I do remember there was the regular lads getting a peice of fish and rice thanks to there diets and then there was me trying to get three steaks and as many fries (chips) on one plate. It was vertically challenged.

Then there was the desert shelves with all kinds of cakes and soft ice cream.

Am I just dreaming or after 36 years do I still remember. I was onboard when it came in from Norway to the Tyne and was the first vessel in the world to be in two dry docks at the same time.

I think I had met LH not long before that on the Cumbria.
Uncle John still working in the Gulf of Mexico.The last feeding rate I knew about for the company(Caldive) was 15 USD per man per day
Old 26th November 2009, 22:10

The best feeding ship I sailed on was Buries Marks La Cordillera with a full female catering staff. The only thing they never seemed to get right was BOT duff, they were great for football practise.

Regards Robert
Old 26th November 2009, 23:47
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

worst chief steward

only one bad chief steward, on a certain trinity house steamship, i was fireman in boiler room, used to get really hot, came off watch at midnight and no dry tea, gasping for a cup, saw him next day , he replied you have had your rations, got a weekly supply, not weighed, but guessed, one tin of condensed milk per man per week, in 1975, when i said we want correct bread rations per man and everything weighed, his tune changed, anytime we ran out of tea we got it, STORES.
Old 27th November 2009, 11:22

Regarding Shell Eastern Most of the old Chief Srewards were from Hainan and whilst may have been able to process accounts in Chinese were not considered able to navigate there way around the complicated paterwork dreamt up by the soothsayers in Shell House. Hence the job of administering the bond and the food stores was usually given to the 2nd /3rd Mate or Sparks for the sum of 6 per month each. Later on with Hong Kong Crews it became much more usual for the Chinese Ch Stwd to take over these responsibilities but I doubt if he got the extra 12 for doing them
Old 27th November 2009, 11:39

My location
Initials

Hi Malcolm, Glad about getting the initials right, won,t say anymore about the "wee" man as he might read this and get big headed!! Can,t remember the small room in the dining area, though queueing was the norm. I was on the Tyne with both the U.J. & Oregis and on the occasion when they were there together. I posted a photo of this momentous moment on the Houlder Offshore thread. Three steaks!! weren.t you hungry? I.ve some old menus somewhere hopefully I can get round to posting them on the Houlder Offshore site and get you "Salivating"
Regards Alan
Old 27th November 2009, 12:48

Alan, I think he is reading it all and feeling pretty good about himself, strange he has not made any comments.

When I was writing about the Uncle John I was going to mention that the Oregis was there at the same time but I could not remember exactly. Was the Oregis back in being fixed after the grounding as I think the UJ came after the Black Midden grounding.

Also do you call oil rigs and "things" like the UJ her or she like a ship or are they referred to as "it".

I was on the UJ on the Tyne when the extra ballast tanks were fitted to the outside of the legs afer the initial sea trial.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:32

My location
Hi Malcolm, I joined the Oregis in Aberdeen the first time and "she" was the HTS Coupler 1, reverted back to Oregis in 1976. This was after the Middens incident. I was on the UJ or Oregis till 1981 when I went to the KUK, S/Driller and finally Bay Driller. till 1986. Regards calling them "She" Oregis/UJ were "she,s" KUK ? the two drillers were Jack-up rigs and you didn,t get a stamp in your Discharge book so I think they were "Its"!!!! Regards Alan.
Old 5th December 2009, 11:35

Port line wanted some beating for great feeders, so I guess that made the chief stwds good .
Old 5th December 2009, 15:55
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1966

Pat Kennedy,
Pat,
yes I well remember those days in the Primrose.
I was always in the Landlords good books as everytime I visited
Havana in the late 50's and 1960's I made sure I brought him some really good
cigars.
Dickie Turnbull, Chief Officer in Harrisons, who lived in Manor Road, used to
join me there whenever we were on leave at the same time.
Like yourself I am Wallasey born and bred, and went to Oldershaw Grammar
school.
All the very best to you and hopefully I will hear more from you.
Cheers,
Pat Baker.
Old 5th December 2009, 20:23

Chief Stewards

If I remember rightly in the 50's60's the victualing rate was seven shillings per man per day.If the Chief Steward kept that rate down he was classed as a "Good" Chief Steward by the Company,a good "Belly Robber!!"
Do we have any "Bowaters" men who can confirm that the food on the "Bowaters" ships was second to none.A selection of Fruit Juice and cereals for breakfast,not just for the Saloon but for the crew mess.
I was told by a few guys I sailed with that the rate in "Bowaters" was a couple of shillings per day more than the average shipping companys.
One guy told me a Chief Steward doing his first trip with "Bowaters" could'nt wait to tell the Catering Super how he had brought the rate down.
The Catering Super said "The stores are put on the ship to feed the crew well your fired!!!"
Regards,
Jim B.