chips on ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
08:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

chips on ships

User Tag List

Old 17th August 2010, 14:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
[QUOTE=David W;448364]In the early 1960's, a deep fat fryer, in a cargo ship galley??.

By the mid sixties most of the ben boats had a deep fat frier in the galley. I know, I installed several of them.
Old 17th August 2010, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
You're right there Tony lad, twice a week, Fridays and Sundays in the China, but they had other kinds of spuds, some that I never see ashore; sautee potatoes, duchesse potatoes, scalloped potatoes, crocquette potato, Lyonnaise potato, Dauphin potatoes, pommes souflees, rissoles, hash browns, we got em all in the China, and nearly always with some kind of bloody PORK!
Regards,
Pat
ABSALUTELY Pat and they took twice as much potato's but then the china boats carried enought spuds for the whole voyage and then
dumped the surplus over the side the night before docking leaving 2 sacks for the shore gang Tony

Last edited by TonyAllen; 17th August 2010 at 22:30..
Old 17th August 2010, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAllen View Post
ABOLUTELY Pat and they took twice as much potato's but then the china boats carried enought spuds for the whole voyage and then
dumped the surplus over the side the night before docking leaving 2 sacks for the shore gang Tony
Tony the tradition of dumping over the side was also observed by the sailor's peggy who dumped the plates and cutlery from the last meal before docking at Liverpool. I did it twice.
I think that the seabed between Point Lynas and the Brazil Buoy at New Brighton must be littered with thousands of 'China' plates, bowls, knives, forks and spoons.
Best Regards,
Pat
Old 17th August 2010, 16:26
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1966

My location
On the Salvina in 1964 we left Japan to load phosphates in Nauru for Avonmouth. Before we got to Nauru it was found out that all the spuds in the locker had gone rotten and had to be dumped. No spuds in Nauru so from there to the Panama Canal we only had rice! Do you know how many ways there are to cook rice? Can't make chips with it though!
Old 17th August 2010, 16:30

My location
No Chips!!! Friday Fish and Chips, Sunday Steak and Chips. Of course you couldn,t tell the day by the menu!!
Old 17th August 2010, 17:31
Active: 1969 - Present

Chips

On the subject off chips!
There is a street in St John's NFL called the Hill o'Chips.
It connects Water Street to Duckworth Streetright next to Seabase
Offshore.

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:52
Active: 1969 - Present

More Chips

www.theexperiment.ca/travel/signal.html
The link to the Hill'o Chips.

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:06

[QUOTE=forthbridge;448632]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
In the early 1960's, a deep fat fryer, in a cargo ship galley??.

By the mid sixties most of the ben boats had a deep fat frier in the galley. I know, I installed several of them.
Such luxury !!

Most of the ships I sailed in, mainly built pre 1960 but a couple of later vintage, had a 4 hot-plate ??, 2 oven, coal fired stove, a 2 door electric bread oven, a six tier steamer and a Hobart potato peeler that could take about 4 large potato's , but was not allowed to be used as it was wasteful, all it did was convert large spuds into little ones.
And most important, a stainless steel lined,wooden, bread doggy, that was powered by the 2nd cooks arm's.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:25

Suprised this question came up, Every ship I sailed on, in the 50s/60s (mainly tankers) I did chips in a big oval chip pan on the stove top, Never thought it was anything but the norm. Cheers Albi
Old 17th August 2010, 20:58

Chips With Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
You're right there Tony lad, twice a week, Fridays and Sundays in the China, but they had other kinds of spuds, some that I never see ashore; sautee potatoes, duchesse potatoes, scalloped potatoes, crocquette potato, Lyonnaise potato, Dauphin potatoes, pommes souflees, rissoles, hash browns, we got em all in the China, and nearly always with some kind of bloody PORK!
Regards,
Pat
Hi Pat, I sailed with a cook on a Glen boat once by the name of Chips Carol,no matter what was on the menu spud wise he would always say " do some chips for the lads are kid". I was peeling two bags of spuds aday.By the time I signed off me thumb was in bits. Can't remember his first name, it might of been chips.regards Terry.
Old 17th August 2010, 21:24

Terry,
I think that might have been Paul Carrol from Wallasey, I went to school with him. I know he sailed in Blueys, so may have been in a Glen boat.
We had a cook like that in the Cotopaxi, always had a dixie full of chips for the deck crowd. Problem was the rest of his output was pretty dire, so chip butties was our staple diet.
Regards,
Pat
Old 17th August 2010, 22:37
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Bob was a No Show,fixed him a plate of Egg and Chips with SPAM Fritters and had to eat the second plate myself. Wife gave me a rating 0f 9 out of 10,I cut the large potato slices too thick for the Fritters,I noticed none went to waste,even my Jack Russell was begging for some.

John.
Old 17th August 2010, 23:13
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
You blokes mentioning spam leads me to tell you that I am still very partial to a bit of spam, fried up on a Sunday morning with bacon, black pudding, tomato and eggs.
Spam is a much maligned animal here in NZ and most of my mates think I have a food screw loose! My wife buys me a tin now and then, as I just love the stuff. Especially in fritters with CHIPS!!
It isn't cheap either, although it used to be!

Old 17th August 2010, 23:19

My location
Fried fish a L'orly (aka battered) and chips was a standard Friday lunch option on Brocklebank ships in the 60's. Saratoga potatoes (home made crisps) were an occasional breakfast accompaniment.
I drew the line at fried somerset egg, bacon and chips for breakfast on the Manaar - I can still hear the sound of arteries clogging up even after all these years.
Chips were also on the menu on Cunard's Alaunia and Andania on the north Atlantic but were often "off" due to violent ship's motion in heavy weather.
Hapy days,
gwzm
Old 17th August 2010, 23:56
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

I was there in spirit John and the imagined taste was great.
Donald seems to have taken his fry up to the limit with his black pudding, sometimes rated at the top of the pops for cholesterol rating. I love it occasionally but those around me being of younger years think that I am deranged or with vampire tendencies.
Black Pud was pretty standard breakfast fare on Union Co ships and the cooks used to cut it into thick rounds before searing it to a crust each side to be crunchy on the outside a creamy within. A bit like a good chip really.

Bob
Old 18th August 2010, 10:49
rennop

Thumbs up Chips on Ships

Aaah,

Chips in beef dripping my gran taught me how to cook em,
twice fried, first for two minutes in stainless basket, lift em out, then let fat get really hot and fry em again, lovely brown & crisp, I showed the cook (Bob ?) how to do it on my first trip as galley boy on MV Silver Comet 1964, ( the roller coaster) in the big oval pan, trick is not to overdo the amount of fat & the ships motion won't throw it around. As for spam fritters, here in Hull we have fish fritters, made the same way, two big slices of spud with white fish, cod, whiting, or coley etc between them, battered & fried delicious! try em from Royal Fisheries on Dansom Lane or what used to be Curtis's on Hessle Road,
Much later as as cook on Ekofisk platforms, I'd spend half my time filleting huge cod & ling caught off the rigs for the yanks, turned lots of them on to proper fish n chips

happy days

Rennop
Old 19th August 2010, 22:44
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

First trip galley boy on the Dragoon with BP and the chief cook used to make me peel the spuds by hand, cut the chips by hand, wash them off in fresh water, blanch them at 170 until soft, then they got browned off as and when needed.
It was a pain in the ****, then new cookie joined and he asked me what the f*** I was doing and to use the labour saving devices, ie potato rumbler and chip cutter for what they were intended.
Mind you I do chips now the way first chief cook showed me, they do crisp up a whole lot better and if you give the basket a couple of shakes during the blanching process you get a marvellous crunch to them. I am locally renowned for them. Brother in law even insists it does'nt matter where in the country he spends Christmas day but it's imperative he and the sis in law are at our house for chips, turkey, and all the trimmings boxing day.
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:09

I don't think you can beat a Belgian Ships Cook for Chips served up in different way's, shapes and sizes.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:06
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1964

OK Guys,
Even although I have been reading this thread all the way through and imagining all the things the good food described herin could be doing to me. I just got the results of my last 3 months on anti-cholestorol pills which the doc had been urging I take for the last three years. Goodness gratious, I am into the normal range!
Just goes to show a life of so called 'bad' eating can be overturned.
Now for a real fish supper or six. when I get to Scotland in October.
DO NOT believe all the rubbish about Belgian chips. They are too thin and so have too much fat in them. Good thick chips in coo fat like me muvver used ter make are the best.
Cheers and bon apetit
Bob
Old 24th August 2010, 12:02

Only the Belgian could think of "diced" chips. Doctor's now seem to be putting every one and his dog on " Anti-Statins" but they can give you severe joint pain.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 26th August 2010, 09:40
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
Only the Belgian could think of "diced" chips. Doctor's now seem to be putting every one and his dog on " Anti-Statins" but they can give you severe joint pain.
Belgian, "Friets", are traditionally fried in horse fat, Vlams (or Flemish) Friets are the thick, hand cut, chips. Both sorts of deep-fried potatoes are the best in the world! They may be consumed with stewed beef, silver-skin onions; curry, tomato, shashlik, and other sauces; piccalilli, chutney, and Mayonnaise.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:44

And there was me thinking Yarmouth Market was the place for the perfect chip. Oh well next time I'm on Knokke Heist sea front I will do a comparison test.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:30
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1964

Lived in Flemmish Belgium for 25 years and never heard of anyone using horse fat for any cooking. Never seen fat, hand cut chips (friets) either, except in our home where I introduced them.
The story is that a Belgian cook did invent them but he did it in Dundee, where he had an eatery. He was looking for a quick belly filler for the mill workers, mainly women, and came up with chips.
In any case whether this is true or not, thanks to whoever it was, wherever he was.
Bob
Old 27th August 2010, 04:49

My daughter is a mean Chip fryer, golden crispy and fluffy inside. Throw two fried eggs on top of a plate load and you have a feast fit for a Lords B***ard nothing like it. Mind you I was first introduced to Frites and Mayo in Rotterdam in 1969 and was immediately smitten this could have been because of the consumption of a Gutful of Highneckend Lager, but it was still lovely. Another Egg and Chip story was in Hamburg Sankt Pauli with an ED's Chief Steward, may have been second Steward at the time, Arthur Whalen if memory serves. A bloody great plate of chips and four, yes four eggs on top. Good grub
Old 27th August 2010, 05:03

Oh yes! chips on ships. Lovely chips with everything for me, on ships, in newspaper on a plate, in yer hand anywhere. All these TV Chefs want to do an MN catering course and learn how to feed. I was brought up to appreciate my food, and I can honestly say I never had a bad meal on a ship. As you can probably tell I was brought up on chips, beans, bacon and eggs and a Sunday roast. It used to pee me off to hear Fellahs in the Saloon brought up the same way moaning about a menu.