Tea on ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Tea on ships

User Tag List

Old 1st December 2010, 12:40

Talking of skin removing agents,who remembers 'Comprox'. Seem to recall using it for 'sugeying down' on British Tankers.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsell View Post
In the 50's we always had the coffee served in a large kettle to which was added a good pinch of salt.
Does anyone remember this practice - is it served with salt today?

Taff
Taff the ground coffee your probably talking about was "Twinning's"
Speacily made for ships must have been B.O.T, came in 7 lb metal tins with a soldered top, which used to be a bastard to opend some times.

We used to boil it up in a big pot on the stove then send to the mess rooms by large kettles for smoko, Why did we pit salt in it (I don't know) I just did waht the cook told me.
Some different variants depending on the cook, Put the coffe grrounds into cold water and bring it to the boil, but the granules in boiling water and let it boil for 30 minutes, let the water simmer, put egg shells in it,
That one I was never sure of the reason and never got an answer.

What ever, I never did have a good cup of coffee , until the invented Maxwell house.

Tea on BP tankers came in Big Tea Chests, metal strips tacked all the way round, when opended it was wrapped in thin tin foil, I always remember the aroma when the chest was first opened.

Indian Crew ships they empty Box was loke a piece of gold, crew would fight over them. That was all before liptons tea bags came onto the scene.

Best regards,

Spence (old Janner)
Old 1st December 2010, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
No matter where you go in the world and regardless of the nationality of the crew, the ship or the owners you will always find onboard the staple of maritime life that is Liptons Yellow Label.
Oh and lets not forget Lux soap and teepol!
Once queried UK & Danish shipchandlers,at a meeting in Stavanger .why did we always get supplied with the same teabags and same soap.I was told to put the brand name of the product required on the store order.e.g.Tetleys teabags .The Norwegian camp bosses jumped on the bandwagon and started requesting mostly Uk products by name no matter where they stored at.be it West Africa or the States.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:39

slightly of thread I know but talking about water, over in west lancashire the water is hard on the wirral its soft so the tea is of a compleatly different taste when we visit our son. Back home we can't wait to get the kettle on Tony

Last edited by TonyAllen; 1st December 2010 at 15:42..
Old 1st December 2010, 18:32
Catering 1958 - 2007
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleGrim View Post
What about Milo? Not tea, but a staple on the Pacific Rim. Has anyone seen it on board?
Milo - Horlicks -Drinking Chocolate -Ovaltine, but canna beat a pot of tea and two or three fags before you start ps i'v stopped smoking

Ray
Old 1st December 2010, 18:39
Catering 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
Coming down on watch for the 4-8, if the tea wasn't on the desk at 04.02, at the latest, then there was hell to pay! Toast was 06.00 with the second mug of tea, usually just after finishing boiler water tests. On the 8-12 evening watch tea for the Chief Engineer at 21.00. 12-4 afternoon watch tea was at 15.00 at Sea and in Port when the day workers had smoko in the MCR.
Toast at 06.00 did the stewards turn to early?
Old 1st December 2010, 18:57
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Not bloody likely, the galley boy and cook had their orders, otherwise funny things happened to the galley stoves and the fridges! Never a problem for me, I had a very big fireman on my first trip in charge of the 4-8, the galley got the message!
Old 1st December 2010, 18:57

I take my own supply of tea bags & have done for 15+ years. Rington's Kenya Gold, Twinnings Earl Grey & usually a fruit tea as this tastes good when cold, which it usually is by the time I have a break to enjoy it.

Who remembers the tins of jam & marmalade, marvelous stuff.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:46
Catering 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Not bloody likely, the galley boy and cook had their orders, otherwise funny things happened to the galley stoves and the fridges! Never a problem for me, I had a very big fireman on my first trip in charge of the 4-8, the galley got the message!

Butchers hook should have given you something and you would have been on the toilet for a week. Never seen a ginger beer giving orders to the galley were they TWN.

Ray
Old 1st December 2010, 19:47

The water on one boat, when used for tea, left unsightly stains on all the mugs, and more unpleasantly, my teeth.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:49
Catering 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCardle View Post
I take my own supply of tea bags & have done for 15+ years. Rington's Kenya Gold, Twinnings Earl Grey & usually a fruit tea as this tastes good when cold, which it usually is by the time I have a break to enjoy it.

In two and seven pound tins Them were the days Pat
Old 1st December 2010, 20:03

Quote:

Don,t tell the company.they.ll be cutting the feeding rate.

Why was it mostly Greengage or Gooseberry jam?
Old 1st December 2010, 20:11

Quote:
If it was an oilfired stove never seen anyone that could set them,best left to the cook. Fridges,well the engineroom was responsible to make sure they weren,t tampered with.Big firemen were no problem,they were usually the quiet ones. Saw one brought down to size by the flat edge of the cooks meat cleaver.on the side of his face.Paid off sporting a lovely black eye.
Old 1st December 2010, 21:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fraser View Post
Don,t tell the company.they.ll be cutting the feeding rate.

Why was it mostly Greengage or Gooseberry jam?
Keeping you regular I remember a load of Strawberry jam in PandO
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:18

Tea @Coffee

Hi,you stole my thunder there Old Janner.There was no coffee on Shell when I was with them,instant for the saloon,measured one
soon per body in saloon,I did the measuring so I know its true.
For some reason the tea chests where much sought after by the
storekeepers.

Len MazzaR621945

Old 2nd December 2010, 04:36

As a boy a couple of years after the war I went, with my family, aboard the USS Wisconsin out on the hooks off Leith. What a buzz! An American sailor came up with a tray full of pint mugs of tea. I took one and he asked me how many sugars did I want. I could only stare at him and he had to repeat the question because at that time it was rationed and the notion that you could get as much as you wanted was alien to me. Probably pigged out but I can't remember. Taff#16. I used to put salt in the filter coffee when I had a cafe in Milford. It's a taste enhancer but you wouldn't want to do so as you'd notice.
Regards Ronnie. Hope Santa will be good to all of you.
Old 2nd December 2010, 06:39
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
Butchers hook should have given you something and you would have been on the toilet for a week. Never seen a ginger beer giving orders to the galley were they TWN.

Ray
Never a Problem with the Galley, we engineers were well looked after!
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:30

Quote:
Keeping you regular I remember a load of Strawberry jam in PandO
Aye Pat. You just thought it was Strawberry jam. I am sure Walter Smith,Cook,added red colouring to all the jams.I know in Ben Line,we used to swap the labels to annoy the Donkeymen.but replaced them later.after they had their moan.Mind you we were all the best of mates.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:33

My location
I once sailed on a Sealand container ship where they kept a large box of loose Indian tea on the bridge. So far as I am aware, I was the only one who ever drank it. I can't remember the name of the brand, but I used make it by the potful by putting it through the drip coffee machine, and it came out very well.

Every evening the Old Man used to come up on the bridge to write his night orders. He always seemed to be in a foul mood and, for a long time, I never knew the reason why. Finally, somebody clued me in that Old Man was a habitual coffee drinker, and he was pissed off that I always had a pot of tea on the bridge instead of a pot of coffee. After that I started making coffee instead and, from then on, the Old Man and I got along fine.

Last edited by Klaatu83; 2nd December 2010 at 18:36..
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:40
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - Present

[Who remembers the tins of jam & marmalade, marvelous stuff.[/QUOTE]

I do. Does anyone know where you can get Koo Melon & Ginger jam in the UK? A food scientist mate of mine reckoned he could replicate it - failed miserably.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:53
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1972 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaatu83 View Post
I once sailed on a Sealand container ship where they kept a large box of loose Indian tea on the bridge. So far as I am aware, I was the only one who ever drank it. I can't remember the name of the brand, but I used make it by the potful by putting it through the drip coffee machine, and it came out very well.

Every evening the Old Man used to come up on the bridge to write his night orders. He always seemed to be in a foul mood and, for a long time, I never knew the reason why. Finally, somebody clued me in that Old Man was a habitual coffee drinker, and he was pissed off that I always had a pot of tea on the bridge instead of a pot of coffee. After that I started making coffee instead and, from then on, the Old Man and I got along fine.

When I was sailing there was two coffee makers on the Bridge, engine room and in my office for that very reason. At least it saved time and water you did not have to rinse the pot or basket to get the other taste out of the pot.

Joe
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:36
Active: 1964 - 1996

I'm with Binnacle on this. Never drank tea since my first year at sea when the stuff served up was thick, black and bitter. It put me off tea for life.
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:45

On my last boat you couldn't run both the coffee maker and the water kettle at the same time without knocking out the cruise control.

Also, I really ought to go and buy a case of oranges for marmalade. The stuff you typically buy here is mostly water and thickener and very little orange. Guava is great for jam too, if you can come by them.
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:08
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 2000

My location
Crystals were Bassil (spelling)
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:23

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnacleGrim View Post
On my last boat you couldn't run both the coffee maker and the water kettle at the same time without knocking out the cruise control.
Given the choice between a hot cuppa and "Iron Mike", the solution is obvious: switch off the "cruise control" and run on hand steering! A very wise guy once observed that "the most important piece of navigation equipment on the bridge of any ship is the coffee pot".