Hard Boiled Eggs - Ships Nostalgia
13:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hard Boiled Eggs

User Tag List

Old 13th May 2012, 19:09

Hard Boiled Eggs

Whenever I make hard-boiled eggs, it seems to be pure chance as to whether the shells come off cleanly, or remove huge lumps of the white!

When I visit the supermaket, there are bowls of shelled hard-boiled eggs without a blemish on them!

When I was at sea, on deck barbeques etc there was often a dish of hard boiled eggs that had been shelled cleanly, so it can be done!

Is there a secret method that any of you is prepared to share?

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 13th May 2012, 19:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
Whenever I make hard-boiled eggs, it seems to be pure chance as to whether the shells come off cleanly, or remove huge lumps of the white!

When I visit the supermaket, there are bowls of shelled hard-boiled eggs without a blemish on them!

When I was at sea, on deck barbeques etc there was often a dish of hard boiled eggs that had been shelled cleanly, so it can be done!

Is there a secret method that any of you is prepared to share?

Bob
Try cooking the eggs from room temperature Bob
Old 13th May 2012, 19:26

The secret is to dunk the hard boiled egg in very cold water immediately after boiling. Some people advise a teaspoon of baking soda in the cold water helps.
Crack the egg at the tip, then the round end, and peel from there, it should come off easily.
Pat
Old 13th May 2012, 19:28

My current method is to start them from cold and leave heat on for 5 minutes. Then turn heat off for 8 minutes. Boil for 5 minutes, dump in icy water for a few seconds, crack ends and put back on boil for another five minutes. This is best method so far, but today have just done five of them with erratic results. One peeled OK. Other four now missing lumps of white!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships

Last edited by Shipbuilder; 13th May 2012 at 19:30.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 13th May 2012, 19:29

Pat,
Your reply crossed with mine. That is more-or-less what I am doing, but forgot to say I added a bit of salt as well.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 13th May 2012, 19:29

My location
This is MJ territory...........The High Priest of the boiled egg (hard).

Last edited by sparkie2182; 13th May 2012 at 20:33..
Old 13th May 2012, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
This is MJ territory...........The High Priest of the boiled egg.

He will be looking at the Premiership league table and weeping!
Old 13th May 2012, 20:20
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
He will be looking at the Premiership league table and weeping!
Pat,
I just returned from a cruise of Hawaii,the ship loaded in Vancouver and most the passengers were from Canada,to my surprise there were many people from Liverpool and Newcastle.We made friends with a couple that left Liverpool in 1964,he was of course a Liverpool fan and all he did was talk football with the Indonesian waiters, and they were always up on the scores and followed football very close. His name was John Elliott and he came from the Gramby area he also mentioned Upper Parliament,you may know the area. His wife Rita Jones, her father spent 40 years at sea sailing out of Liverpool.
We spent every happy hour together,the guy was a riot,full of jokes.
Old 13th May 2012, 20:24
Active: 1967 - 1970

No Yoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Pat,
I just returned from a cruise of Hawaii,the ship loaded in Vancouver and most the passengers were from Canada,to my surprise there were many people from Liverpool and Newcastle.We made friends with a couple that left Liverpool in 1964,he was of course a Liverpool fan and all he did was talk football with the Indonesian waiters, and they were always up on the scores and followed football very close. His name was John Elliott and he came from the Gramby area he also mentioned Upper Parliament,you may know the area. His wife Rita Jones, her father spent 40 years at sea sailing out of Liverpool.
No Yoke?
Old 13th May 2012, 20:36

I boil the water, NO SALT, this seems to make them crack? Then boil for 10 mins, dump water & have cold running water overflowing the pan for a minute. I crack the eggs through the middle, rolling them in my hands. Always come clean for me.
Old 13th May 2012, 20:54

Quote:
Pat,
John,
I know the Granby Street area quite well, its pretty lively down there to say the least! My late wife had a grandmother who lived in Granby Street and we visited every Sunday for years. All the old lady's neighbours were Jamaican, and they looked after her like she was one of their own. She always had a couple of bottles of Red Stripe in the fridge for me. A great neighborhood.
Regards,
Pat
Old 13th May 2012, 21:19

Pat,
Thanks for that. Do I get the water boiling and then put the eggs in, or start it from cold with them already in it? I will try this method next time we have them, that is usually Sunday evening.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 13th May 2012, 21:32

And on a related topic, put the eggshells into the coffee pot, makes coffee taste superb.
Pat
Old 13th May 2012, 23:04

Pat McCardle: "I boil the water, NO SALT, this seems to make them crack? Then boil for 10 mins, dump water & have cold running water overflowing the pan for a minute. I crack the eggs through the middle, rolling them in my hands. Always come clean for me."

My mother reckoned that if you put salt into the water it stopped the egg white from running out of the egg if the shell happened to crack. Seems to work - Mum's know best!

Pat Kennedy: "And on a related topic, put the eggshells into the coffee pot, makes coffee taste superb."

If you haven't got any eggs can you just wipe the inside of the pot with a parson's nose?

Being fairly eggcentric, I eat dozens of boiled eggs. I just crack the egg and roll it on a hard surface. The shattered shell usually peels off easily, but occasionaly one doesn't and I put that down to something to do with the egg itself and out of my control.

Recently I've found some eggs with two or three discoloured rings on the shell, from top to bottom of the egg. Could this be due to a period of vitamin D deficiency during a difficult birth? Perhaps they should be considering Caesarian Sections for chooks.

John T

PS Good news for egg lovers - they're back in favour on telly this morning. Turns out they're packed with goodies. What's a bit of cholesterol between friends.

Last edited by trotterdotpom; 13th May 2012 at 23:07..
Old 13th May 2012, 23:35
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
My wife does the same thing John except before she puts them in the boiling water she puts them in a little gadget that needle pricks both ends.
Old 14th May 2012, 04:41

I don't get too technical in de-shelling a boiled egg. After cooking I run cold water over them to cool them down.
I then crack the shell and peel whilst running luke warm water over them.
Shell comes off easily.
Old 14th May 2012, 06:17
Lazy Wench

My location
I haven't read through all of the posts, but as one who has chickens I think I can answer this. Older eggs will peel easier than fresh eggs. Reason? As the eggs gets older a layer of air forms between the membrane and the egg, hence a cleaner peel. Fresher the egg, the messier the peel.
Old 14th May 2012, 11:12

Quote:
My wife does the same thing John except before she puts them in the boiling water she puts them in a little gadget that needle pricks both ends.
Reminds me of "blowing" birds eggs when I was a kid. We used to get the eggs from birds nests, ***** (I meant pierce) them at both ends and blow the "stuff" out of them, so that the eggshell could be kept. Not sure why we did this, seemed like a good idea at the time. One time, the school teacher made a nature table and we were all supposed to bring something. A few kids brought "blown" eggs, so to be different I brought about 20 nests. She went berserk! You can't please some people. All this was long before Global Warming, Habitat Destruction, Sea Shepherd and all that.

What can I say? You can't make an omelette without f***king a chook. I do recall that Blackbirds had blue eggs.

John T

Last edited by trotterdotpom; 14th May 2012 at 11:13.. Reason: Compensate for the editor
Old 14th May 2012, 12:28
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

As PAT says its the age of the egg.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:35

Thanks for further replies. I have wondered if the age of the egg was something to do with it. At sea, eggs were usually quite old because of the nature of the job and they always seemed to peel easily. I will try slightly older eggs next time, together with other suggestions above.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 14th May 2012, 12:58
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
The age is the key ; fresh eggs will be difficult to peel .
Old 14th May 2012, 13:49

Pat K and Pat M have it right in my opinion. Just run cold water over the eggs straight away for a few minutes and all will be fine. Roll the egg along a board or bench and the shell will just come away fro the egg.
Mick S
Old 14th May 2012, 13:54
Lazy Wench

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
The age is the key ; fresh eggs will be difficult to peel .
Old 14th May 2012, 14:20
Active: 1970 - Present

Shipbuilder, why get all worried, I would fire the staff if they gave me hard boiled eggs with bits missing (joking Boatman)

Sparkie & Pat K., nice one boys, I was indeed watching the league tables to make sure the cup winners gave at least something to their minor neighbours to brag about. Tell me though what does it feel like to win nothing and to end up 7th in the league and still think you have achieved something.

Oh go on then brag a little if it makes you feel better.

Pat K., what made you put egg shells into a coffee pot in the first place. Things like that make me wonder who does that type of thing in the first place and why.

....and what is all this about boiling 8 mins, off for 5 back on for what ever, then off again, blowing and sucking, pricking as well. Put half a dozen in cold water, a wee bit of vinegar, bring to the boil, wait for 6 minutes, stick under the cold tap (faucet), bang and roll them, peel and do not worry about any bits missing, plenty of salt, throw the egg shells away (do not listen to Pat K's BS.) and fart away & be merry.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:40

In wine-making crushed egg shells are one of many 'fining agents'.
Finings are substances used to improve clarity and reduce unwanted organic compounds in the wine. Egg shells are particularly used in white wines of the non-grape varieties.

So maybe the person who tried adding egg shells to coffee was a wine maker who had one of those cross-over moments.

Remember when we used to able to buy white shelled eggs, as well as the now ubiquitous brown?
White shells are softer and more fragile - not much good for boiling because they are more apt to burst, but I always thought that the actual egg was better for all other cooking purposes.