Fruit boats! - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
01:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fruit boats!

User Tag List

Old 30th April 2014, 13:00

Watchkeeping on the bridge perched right on the stem of the GALLOWAY at 35 knots would have given you a rush like Kate Winslet on the the TITANIC!
Old 1st May 2014, 11:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post

Were the Cunard ships fruit only or could they carry -21 C for meat boats as well?
Hi Stephen

In January 1980 I was deck cadet on Scythia and we loaded frozen fish bound for Japan. I can't remember the exact temperature the holds were at but it was certainly below -20 C.

Off topic but I spent quite some time admiring your work on the HAL ships. I often wondered if I could get one of them in my suitcase. :-)
Old 1st May 2014, 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulc View Post
Hi Stephen

In January 1980 I was deck cadet on Scythia and we loaded frozen fish bound for Japan. I can't remember the exact temperature the holds were at but it was certainly below -20 C.

Off topic but I spent quite some time admiring your work on the HAL ships. I often wondered if I could get one of them in my suitcase. :-)
Paul,

Thanks. Then 'fruit boat' or 'banana boat' is incorrect! Sycthia was a REEFER! ;-)

So... welcome to Ships Nostalgia... I see your first post. I'm sure the moderators will give you a welcome.

What is your connection with HAL? Pax or crew? Cunard or did you move on?

Those paintings.... 36 x 60 inches. Can't fold them down... the canvas is glued down onto a aluminium panel.... and with that extra frame is an extra 8" all round..... and weighs a ton!

Stephen
Old 9th May 2014, 22:49
Active: 1974 - Present

ref SJ Card, my error in both bhp and GRT, have checked discharge book and tonnage was 12000, bhp 22000. However 22000 bhp in a small ship, a nine cylinder 840 bore engine was pretty awesome! 28 knots am sure of as I pulled the job back a couple of revs one morning watch due to high scavenge temperatures, as I thought, only to be told off by second - we had to maintain charter speed. Never ran at such high revs either before or after.
No doubt we were running at more than 90% mcr.
Dannic
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:12
Active: 1975 - 1984

Saxonia 1977

I sailed on the Saxonia from July to December 1977 as an engineer cadet. Joined in Germany and paid off in Germany on 23rd December, having travelled to north south and central America. They always say that your first trip is your best. Well it was. I have never enjoyed a ship more. I ended up on the Cunard Countess for 5 years then married the nursing sister and went to work for Foster Wheeler as a commissioning engineer.....Oh what happy days!!! By the way there was a post on here about cargo temperatures. We got her down to -30. for a fish run to Japan. It never happened, the run that is.
Simon.
Old 26th May 2015, 14:44
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1962 - 1967

i sailed on the Samaria as 2nd cook & baker in about1964to 1966
Old 27th May 2015, 15:44

M.F.C. Vessels were known as the Israeli Reserve Navy due to the use of some of the vessels for Military Logistics including my own the 'Satsumacore'. High speed was essential on some occasions in the Eastern Med.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel