Ships Nostalgia banner

Calling Ex-OCEAN FLEETS CADETS

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  rosshopwood 
#1 ·
We recently had a reunion for former Ocean Cadets in the Merseyside Police Sports and Social Club in Riversdale Road-many of us would remember it as the former Odyssey Club...but certainly not recognise it, after the old building was ripped down and replaced with a rather splendid (and not rotten!) building.

The guest of honour was Terry Beggs, who travelled up with his wife from their home in Anglesey. He had his record of passed middies-listing every one of us that had been under his care during our cadetship-made fascinating reading!

Another very special guest was "Mad" Ivor Rutherford, who was brought by Ian Pakula.

It was great to see so many of our former colleagues, and it was incredibly gratifying to have so many travel such great distances to be there. (Pint)

We are now tentatively preparing to host a follow up reunion for 2014and also to set-up an Alumni Association.

If anyone is interested in attending please either drop me a pm on here. I'll put the date out when we have finalised it.

Best regards

Al James

See less See more
#6 ·
Dave, we had a mix....all were welcome! We've got some photos around so I'll get on with posting them-especially as I've got time with my body suffering from old age and injury! I'll PM Tom and Woodend in the next couple of days.
We are now planning for 2014, the date is to be 13th September at the Liverpool Yacht Club, in Brunswick Dock. This has a nice link with Ocean as it was the old ED berth before they closed the South Docks. Any former Ocean Cadets interested in coming either check out the Ocean Transport and Trading link on Facebook or drop me a PM on here.
B Regards
Allan

#7 ·
Ex Ocean fleets cadets

Hi, I have only just found this site and am very interested in any meetings/reunions etc.
I was at Aulis from 1977-1981 and Terry Beggs was the principal.
I also remember "Andy" Andrew Amos who took us for Orals in the evening.

My first ship was the "Onitsha" and I got my 2nd Mates in 1981.

Would be great to catch up with anyone.
Alan Houghton.

#9 ·
Posted before but repeating for newcomers.
On first day was told to report to River House in uniform.
Now I was a country boy who knew nothing.
Couldn't understand the sniggers and looks I received from lads in Riversdale Road. I didn't know that should have worn white cover on cap so looked more like a bus conductor (or a very new cadet!!)

#11 ·
2019 Ocean Fleets Reunion for ex Nav and Eng cadets.

We will be holding the 2019 Ocean Fleets Reunion for ex Nav and Eng Cadets on 17-19 May 2019 in Portishead near Bristol. Some of the time will be spent in the old Bristol Port, on SS Great Britain and the Balmoral as well as a few drinking dens of course. The main event Saturday night will be at the H&W pub situated on Portishead Marina. (the pub is made out of shipping containers).
Anyone interested in joining us, then please contact me or Allan James via Facebook / Messenger / Whatsapp etc. All welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.