Memories... or lack of memory? - Ships Nostalgia
11:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Memories... or lack of memory?

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 26th January 2015, 16:24
brummiechris brummiechris is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1988
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 102
Memories... or lack of memory?

I first came across this site in 2009, but have not been back much since, but have spend a bit of time exploring it over the last few week - time well spent. This together with the talk of a reunion have started the old grey cells and I now have a head full of faces without names, names without faces and both without ships.

I decided to try and put it all together, ships, dates and Masters have been easily extracted from my discharge books but after that all I have discovered is that my memory is not as good as I thought. It never occurred to me to keep copies of the Fleet News, they would have made interesting reading now.

Anyway for anyone interested here is my record of sea service, all with BP, I came ashore in 1988.
Cadet
Duchess: Philadelphia 9/8/71 - RAK 19/1/72
Hawthorn: Sattahip 13/8/72 - Amsterdam 21/10/72
Laure:l Skelleftehamn 23/11/72 - Middlesborough 11/12/72
Prospector: Rotterdam 9/1/73 - RAK 18/5/73
Faith: RAK 20/6/73 - Falmouth 9/11/73
Light: Falmouth 9/11/73 - Glasgow 30/11/73
Osprey: Grangemouth 6/1/74 - Grangemouth 11/4/74
3/O
Hawthorn: Hamburg 17/12/74 - Auckland 23/5/75
Aviator: Bandar Mahshahr 26/8/75 - Monrovia 3/2/76
Esk: Isle of Grain 1/6/76 - Purfleet 14/10/76
Fern: Freemantle 30/12/76 - Singapore 14/4/77
Inventor: RAK 16/12/77 - Labuan 15/6/78
2/O
Avon: IOG 17/11/78 - Las Palmas 29/3/79
Security: Cotonou 23/8/79 - IOG 14/12/79
Forth: Portsmouth 27/6/82 - Dover 21/8/82
Holly: Sharjah 19/10/80 - RAK 10/3/81
Pioneer: Europort 16/3/80 - RAK 1/7/80
Marun: Lavan Is 18/6/81 - Mina Saqr 24/9/81
Promise: Khor Fakkan 5/12/81 - Angle Bay 29/3/82
Vic Bilh: Portland Maine 7/5/83 - Le Havre 5/9/83
Test: Fujairah 27/6/84 - Bec d'Ambes 27/10/84
Purpose: Labuan 7/1/84 - Labuan 5/5/84
C/O
Humber: Grangemouth 9/1/85 - Lisbon 13/4/85
Renown: Brunei 30/7/85 - Brunei 4/12/85
Ranger: Brunei 9/3/86 - Brunei 5/9/86
Reliance: Brunei 5/12/86 - Brunei 5/6/87
Vision: Singapore 5/9/87 - Dubai 28/1/88

It would be good to hear from anyone I sailed with.
__________________
Regards

Chris

R903573
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26th January 2015, 17:37
Graham Wallace Graham Wallace is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiechris View Post
I first came across this site in 2009, but have not been back much since, but have spend a bit of time exploring it over the last few week - time well spent. This together with the talk of a reunion have started the old grey cells and I now have a head full of faces without names, names without faces and both without ships.

I decided to try and put it all together, ships, dates and Masters have been easily extracted from my discharge books but after that all I have discovered is that my memory is not as good as I thought. It never occurred to me to keep copies of the Fleet News, they would have made interesting reading now.

Anyway for anyone interested here is my record of sea service, all with BP, I came ashore in 1988.
Cadet
Duchess: Philadelphia 9/8/71 - RAK 19/1/72
Hawthorn: Sattahip 13/8/72 - Amsterdam 21/10/72
Laure:l Skelleftehamn 23/11/72 - Middlesborough 11/12/72
Prospector: Rotterdam 9/1/73 - RAK 18/5/73
Faith: RAK 20/6/73 - Falmouth 9/11/73
Light: Falmouth 9/11/73 - Glasgow 30/11/73
Osprey: Grangemouth 6/1/74 - Grangemouth 11/4/74
3/O
Hawthorn: Hamburg 17/12/74 - Auckland 23/5/75
Aviator: Bandar Mahshahr 26/8/75 - Monrovia 3/2/76
Esk: Isle of Grain 1/6/76 - Purfleet 14/10/76
Fern: Freemantle 30/12/76 - Singapore 14/4/77
Inventor: RAK 16/12/77 - Labuan 15/6/78
2/O
Avon: IOG 17/11/78 - Las Palmas 29/3/79
Security: Cotonou 23/8/79 - IOG 14/12/79
Forth: Portsmouth 27/6/82 - Dover 21/8/82
Holly: Sharjah 19/10/80 - RAK 10/3/81
Pioneer: Europort 16/3/80 - RAK 1/7/80
Marun: Lavan Is 18/6/81 - Mina Saqr 24/9/81
Promise: Khor Fakkan 5/12/81 - Angle Bay 29/3/82
Vic Bilh: Portland Maine 7/5/83 - Le Havre 5/9/83
Test: Fujairah 27/6/84 - Bec d'Ambes 27/10/84
Purpose: Labuan 7/1/84 - Labuan 5/5/84
C/O
Humber: Grangemouth 9/1/85 - Lisbon 13/4/85
Renown: Brunei 30/7/85 - Brunei 4/12/85
Ranger: Brunei 9/3/86 - Brunei 5/9/86
Reliance: Brunei 5/12/86 - Brunei 5/6/87
Vision: Singapore 5/9/87 - Dubai 28/1/88

It would be good to hear from anyone I sailed with.
Hi Brummie Chris,

An interesting posting, I'll send you a Ships nostalgia email. With that collection of ships I'll certainly know some of the people you sailed with.

Graham
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27th January 2015, 15:18
DAVELECKIE DAVELECKIE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiechris View Post
I first came across this site in 2009, but have not been back much since, but have spend a bit of time exploring it over the last few week - time well spent. This together with the talk of a reunion have started the old grey cells and I now have a head full of faces without names, names without faces and both without ships.

I decided to try and put it all together, ships, dates and Masters have been easily extracted from my discharge books but after that all I have discovered is that my memory is not as good as I thought. It never occurred to me to keep copies of the Fleet News, they would have made interesting reading now.

Anyway for anyone interested here is my record of sea service, all with BP, I came ashore in 1988.
Cadet
Duchess: Philadelphia 9/8/71 - RAK 19/1/72
Hawthorn: Sattahip 13/8/72 - Amsterdam 21/10/72
Laure:l Skelleftehamn 23/11/72 - Middlesborough 11/12/72
Prospector: Rotterdam 9/1/73 - RAK 18/5/73
Faith: RAK 20/6/73 - Falmouth 9/11/73
Light: Falmouth 9/11/73 - Glasgow 30/11/73
Osprey: Grangemouth 6/1/74 - Grangemouth 11/4/74
3/O
Hawthorn: Hamburg 17/12/74 - Auckland 23/5/75
Aviator: Bandar Mahshahr 26/8/75 - Monrovia 3/2/76
Esk: Isle of Grain 1/6/76 - Purfleet 14/10/76
Fern: Freemantle 30/12/76 - Singapore 14/4/77
Inventor: RAK 16/12/77 - Labuan 15/6/78
2/O
Avon: IOG 17/11/78 - Las Palmas 29/3/79
Security: Cotonou 23/8/79 - IOG 14/12/79
Forth: Portsmouth 27/6/82 - Dover 21/8/82
Holly: Sharjah 19/10/80 - RAK 10/3/81
Pioneer: Europort 16/3/80 - RAK 1/7/80
Marun: Lavan Is 18/6/81 - Mina Saqr 24/9/81
Promise: Khor Fakkan 5/12/81 - Angle Bay 29/3/82
Vic Bilh: Portland Maine 7/5/83 - Le Havre 5/9/83
Test: Fujairah 27/6/84 - Bec d'Ambes 27/10/84
Purpose: Labuan 7/1/84 - Labuan 5/5/84
C/O
Humber: Grangemouth 9/1/85 - Lisbon 13/4/85
Renown: Brunei 30/7/85 - Brunei 4/12/85
Ranger: Brunei 9/3/86 - Brunei 5/9/86
Reliance: Brunei 5/12/86 - Brunei 5/6/87
Vision: Singapore 5/9/87 - Dubai 28/1/88

It would be good to hear from anyone I sailed with.
Chris
Our paths have crossed twice and yet the old memory can not picture you.
I joined the Hawthorn in Durban 30/1/75 and left Port Moresby 17/6/75. Great times Aussie/New Zealand coasting. 5 day party in Auckland my memory tells me!
I joined the Esk in Swansea 26/6/76 and left IOG 10/9/76.
Cricket with the old man Gill Barber in IOG and lightering trials in Portland spring to mind.
All the best to you
Dave Edworthy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27th January 2015, 16:33
brummiechris brummiechris is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1988
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 102
Hi Dave,

I remember you from the Hawthorn, but think there is some confusion over the Esk, I think the Lecky was Brian Vanter ( and wife Elaine) though not certain of the surname and the OM was Jasper Cliffe. But I think we sailed together on the Avon, the OM was Gil Barbour, the only time I sailed with him. We did exchange a couple of emails in 2009.

I'll see you 19/3, my invitation has just arrived, what do you reckon, a cheese beano and a glass of Chateau Nyrex?
__________________
Regards

Chris

R903573

Last edited by brummiechris; 27th January 2015 at 16:39..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27th January 2015, 18:36
DaveM399 DaveM399 is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiechris View Post
I first came across this site in 2009, but have not been back much since, but have spend a bit of time exploring it over the last few week - time well spent. This together with the talk of a reunion have started the old grey cells and I now have a head full of faces without names, names without faces and both without ships.

I decided to try and put it all together, ships, dates and Masters have been easily extracted from my discharge books but after that all I have discovered is that my memory is not as good as I thought. It never occurred to me to keep copies of the Fleet News, they would have made interesting reading now.

Anyway for anyone interested here is my record of sea service, all with BP, I came ashore in 1988.
Cadet
Duchess: Philadelphia 9/8/71 - RAK 19/1/72
Hawthorn: Sattahip 13/8/72 - Amsterdam 21/10/72
Laure:l Skelleftehamn 23/11/72 - Middlesborough 11/12/72
Prospector: Rotterdam 9/1/73 - RAK 18/5/73
Faith: RAK 20/6/73 - Falmouth 9/11/73
Light: Falmouth 9/11/73 - Glasgow 30/11/73
Osprey: Grangemouth 6/1/74 - Grangemouth 11/4/74
3/O
Hawthorn: Hamburg 17/12/74 - Auckland 23/5/75
Aviator: Bandar Mahshahr 26/8/75 - Monrovia 3/2/76
Esk: Isle of Grain 1/6/76 - Purfleet 14/10/76
Fern: Freemantle 30/12/76 - Singapore 14/4/77
Inventor: RAK 16/12/77 - Labuan 15/6/78
2/O
Avon: IOG 17/11/78 - Las Palmas 29/3/79
Security: Cotonou 23/8/79 - IOG 14/12/79
Forth: Portsmouth 27/6/82 - Dover 21/8/82
Holly: Sharjah 19/10/80 - RAK 10/3/81
Pioneer: Europort 16/3/80 - RAK 1/7/80
Marun: Lavan Is 18/6/81 - Mina Saqr 24/9/81
Promise: Khor Fakkan 5/12/81 - Angle Bay 29/3/82
Vic Bilh: Portland Maine 7/5/83 - Le Havre 5/9/83
Test: Fujairah 27/6/84 - Bec d'Ambes 27/10/84
Purpose: Labuan 7/1/84 - Labuan 5/5/84
C/O
Humber: Grangemouth 9/1/85 - Lisbon 13/4/85
Renown: Brunei 30/7/85 - Brunei 4/12/85
Ranger: Brunei 9/3/86 - Brunei 5/9/86
Reliance: Brunei 5/12/86 - Brunei 5/6/87
Vision: Singapore 5/9/87 - Dubai 28/1/88

It would be good to hear from anyone I sailed with.
Quite a few of my old ships, but never on them the same time as you Chris. The closest we got was the Humber - I paid off in Grangemouth the day after you joined her in 1985.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 27th January 2015, 19:33
DAVELECKIE DAVELECKIE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by brummiechris View Post
Hi Dave,

I remember you from the Hawthorn, but think there is some confusion over the Esk, I think the Lecky was Brian Vanter ( and wife Elaine) though not certain of the surname and the OM was Jasper Cliffe. But I think we sailed together on the Avon, the OM was Gil Barbour, the only time I sailed with him. We did exchange a couple of emails in 2009.

I'll see you 19/3, my invitation has just arrived, what do you reckon, a cheese beano and a glass of Chateau Nyrex?

Hi Chris
Definately on the Esk for the dates I gave. You are right about the lecky being Brian Vanter, I relieved him however, for that period.
Must have got the old man wrong, although sure about the cricket behind the agents office with the old man, Jasper rings a bell or two.
I sailed with Gil Barber on the Avon as well, but our dates do not coincide.
Will definately be there on the 19th

Dave
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27th January 2015, 19:47
brummiechris brummiechris is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1971 - 1988
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 102
Right Dave, I think we've got that straight now.
__________________
Regards

Chris

R903573
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27th January 2015, 20:16
jep1916 jep1916 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 181
I was 2/E on the Esk, when Brian Vanter and his wife were on board. If I remember correctly, I left in Inningham about July 1976
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27th January 2015, 20:39
DAVELECKIE DAVELECKIE is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by jep1916 View Post
I was 2/E on the Esk, when Brian Vanter and his wife were on board. If I remember correctly, I left in Inningham about July 1976
Sounds like our paths may have crossed for a few weeks as I relieved Brian for his break as he was on the Esk for a couple of years or so.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lack of photos Eric Wallace Looking for Old Shipmates 10 17th October 2010 18:08



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.