Kwinana Incident - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
09:31

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kwinana Incident

User Tag List

Old 8th March 2011, 14:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
As far as I know David there were only two 1959 EA's at Middlesborough, and you were one, he was the other.

Graham
Graham

Yes you are quite correct I was David's other BP apprentice and I will be checking out your website, sorry for the tardiness

John
Old 8th March 2011, 15:12
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehumble View Post
Graham

Yes you are quite correct I was David's other BP apprentice and I will be checking out your website, sorry for the tardiness

John
John your name is on the website, has been for years.

Graham
Old 9th March 2011, 09:26
Active: 1968 - 1986

Quote:
I must admit it is a long time since I saw Gavin, and we didn't exchange Xmas cards. If I was to say his nickname rhymed with his surname, his father had a garage, his wifs's name was Anne and he liked fast cars would we be talking about the same person.
I know Gavin had quite a reputation, but on the Dragoon we got on quite well(he was doing steam time). When the accident happened he was the one with me trying to save the boat(hopeless) and indeed we didnt leave the bottom flat until the water was up to our waists.
Yep, it is the same Gavin, saw his obit. in the Telegraph a couple of years ago.
Old 9th May 2013, 18:55

This is a reply to a message from Blade Fisher.
Richard, the problem with the water supply to the alternators was noticeable when two alternators were in use and was quite critical in warmer waters, even in the Eastern Med at the port of Banias( I think it was Banias, it was certainly the Eastern Med}. It was after the voyage to Banias that we requested an inspection and possible repair in the I.O.G.. As I stated before the tide was to strong in the I.O.G..
I never met your Dad, but I did join in Marseille with the Chief George Johnson, I believe your Dad sailed with George when he was second engineer, again on the Dragoon. I sailed on the Dragoon twice, after the Kwinana incident about two years later I rejoined her again and stood by her whilst she was refitted for Lightering. The voyage before and the voyages after refit were always incident filled.
John.
Old 12th May 2013, 22:40

Quote:
This is a reply to a message from Blade Fisher.
Richard, the problem with the water supply to the alternators was noticeable when two alternators were in use and was quite critical in warmer waters, even in the Eastern Med at the port of Banias( I think it was Banias, it was certainly the Eastern Med}. It was after the voyage to Banias that we requested an inspection and possible repair in the I.O.G.. As I stated before the tide was to strong in the I.O.G..
I never met your Dad, but I did join in Marseille with the Chief George Johnson, I believe your Dad sailed with George when he was second engineer, again on the Dragoon. I sailed on the Dragoon twice, after the Kwinana incident about two years later I rejoined her again and stood by her whilst she was refitted for Lightering. The voyage before and the voyages after refit were always incident filled.
John.
Thanks for that John, What happened to George? In an earlier post it said he went to another tanker company. You mentioned earlier he died some years ago. Gordon my father was killed the following year with 8 others when the ship blew up in the Indian Ocean. They never found him.

My mum went with Gordon when he was 2nd on the Dragoon. Have got a number of photos of that time taken on board. I recall Peter Cazalet was aboard at the time. I'll see if she remembers if George's wife was there too. My mum is 80 now, but her longer term memory is good.
Old 20th May 2013, 17:00

Richard, George was asked to leave the company and from what I could understand B.P. made it possible for him to join the Blandford shipping company as chief engineer( I understand as commodore engineer). He retired from there after a couple of years and became a postman!!! There were many rumours circulating about George at the time, most untrue and from what I understand his situation was governed principally by the insurance companies, I, myself, supposedly carried the vast majority of the responsibility for the sinking of the Dragoon.
On a personal note when I first saw your thread I thought it was from a friend in my last company, James Fisher Tankships, I retired from the Severn Fisher.
I recall Peter was he not the extra 3rd. on the Dragoon, relieved by Gavin East? Things are somewhat hazy about those days especially when I joined, my first trip 2nd. and my first trip on a 50,000 tonner!!!!
Old 12th September 2013, 22:51

Quote:
Richard, George was asked to leave the company and from what I could understand B.P. made it possible for him to join the Blandford shipping company as chief engineer( I understand as commodore engineer). He retired from there after a couple of years and became a postman!!! There were many rumours circulating about George at the time, most untrue and from what I understand his situation was governed principally by the insurance companies, I, myself, supposedly carried the vast majority of the responsibility for the sinking of the Dragoon.
On a personal note when I first saw your thread I thought it was from a friend in my last company, James Fisher Tankships, I retired from the Severn Fisher.
I recall Peter was he not the extra 3rd. on the Dragoon, relieved by Gavin East? Things are somewhat hazy about those days especially when I joined, my first trip 2nd. and my first trip on a 50,000 tonner!!!!
What finally happened to the Dragoon ? .As i sailed on her in early 73 when she was a lightering ship and never heard any of these tales. Alan Scott -lecky.
Old 12th September 2013, 23:44
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day.chiefcharles.m.22june.2006.11:51.re:kwinana incident.i have been reading this old thread,starting with your post(p1)a most interesting chain of events.and not a happy ending for the captain,and chief eng,thank you again.have a good day,regards ben27
Old 13th September 2013, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfordmackem View Post
What finally happened to the Dragoon ? .As i sailed on her in early 73 when she was a lightering ship and never heard any of these tales. Alan Scott -lecky.
I think she was broken up at Gadani Beach, Pakistan.

I remember when she 'sank'. I was only 12 but at sea with my father and mother. We had berthed at Kharg Is en route to Durban and strolling along the jetty one evening we chatted to someone off a BP tanker.

The 'Dragon' (sic a silly nickname he gave her) was one of my father's favourite ships and he was well miffed to hear it had sunk! I think Gordon was well respected but didn't suffer fools gladly and considering he was a steam man and had endured time on the Officer and Guardian (ships he didn't rate) had a soft spot for the Dragoon.

I visited her in IoG the nearest us whipper snappers could get to going to sea with our fathers, with BP. It was one of the reasons he went to Safmarine.

Sadly it cost him his life, but we had a great year in '69 though when as a family we were at sea for nearly six months (Europoort-Einswaden-Cape Town DD-Bandar M-Kharg Is-Durban-Kharg Is-Durban-Kharg Is-Durban-Bandar M and flew home).
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:22
Active: 1967 - 1979

Dragoon

A number of years have now past But I can remember the Dragoon incident. I sailed with C/E George Johnson & his wife, the Master on this vessel was Fred Lowther as 4/E, This could have been the Br Merchant or Industry just prior to Kwinana. I then went to Bonny Nigeria some years later on the Dragoon 3/E for her conversion for lightering C/E onboard at that time was Jimmy Kinsella? The voyage was for tank cleaning and back load crude. And George was indeed C/E on a Blandford vessel, I think the Biddiford Priory? Yes the water level mark was still to be seen from the engine room control platform.
Another vessel that suffered e/r flooding was the British Signal, Italian built that was dried out to sail again with plenty of heat lamps I was made up to 3/E and joind at Perth Amboyd? New York. Who remembers the dreaded Italian vessels. There hangs many more tales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefCharles View Post
John
Thanks for info. Being new to site had not visited the photo gallery before. I happened to be in Head Office when this incident ocurred. I was there for 12 months after leaving the British Venture in 69 as Second Engineer. I actually initially answered the phone call from C/Eng Johnson before handing the phone to David Gibbons(Fleet A Super). Gibbons had to shout as it was a bad connection and he could be heard all around the 10th. floor. He was mad!! Being the good BP in those days they found the Chief another C/Engineers job with another UK tanker company.
Best regards - Roger
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:56
Active: 1968 - 1986

So much said about the Italian vessels perhaps we should start our own website.
www.isurvivedtheeyties.com

2G

Last edited by twogrumpy; 23rd September 2013 at 15:56..
Old 23rd September 2013, 19:36

[QUOTE=Blade Fisher;702531]I think she was broken up at Gadani Beach, Pakistan.

I remember when she 'sank'. I was only 12 but at sea with my father and mother. We had berthed at Kharg Is en route to Durban and strolling along the jetty one evening we chatted to someone off a BP tanker.

The 'Dragon' (sic a silly nickname he gave her) was one of my father's favourite ships and he was well miffed to hear it had sunk! I think Gordon was well respected but didn't suffer fools gladly and considering he was a steam man and had endured time on the Officer and Guardian (ships he didn't rate) had a soft spot for the Dragoon.

I visited her in IoG the nearest us whipper snappers could get to going to sea with our fathers, with BP. It was one of the reasons he went to Safmarine.

Sadly it cost him his life, but we had a great year in '69 though when as a family we were at sea for nearly six months (Europoort-Einswaden-Cape Town DD-Bandar M-Kharg Is-Durban-Kharg Is-Durban-Kharg Is-Durban-Bandar M and flew home).[/QUOTE
Any chance of uploading the photos pal?
Old 26th September 2013, 19:43

At 12 a seafarer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Fisher View Post
I think she was broken up at Gadani Beach, Pakistan.

Sadly it cost him his life, but we had a great year in '69 though when as a family we were at sea for nearly six months (Europoort-Einswaden-Cape Town DD-Bandar M-Kharg Is-Durban-Kharg Is-Durban-Kharg Is-Durban-Bandar M and flew home).
Interesting read this post. Did you kind sir sail as a member of a family a ship/tanker from Kharg Island? The only company I am aware of for wives and family was Lowland Tankers. Why were you not a school? Or was it the summer hols. I am just noisy as BP and most MN British Shipping Companies at this time did not allow childeren to sail!! Wives yes but not children?
Old 27th September 2013, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman2 View Post
I was on the Dragoon when she was a lightering ship.
I remember the incident in Australia when I was on the Diplomat but thought it another ship.
Did the Dragoon become a lightering ship ofter she "sank"?
I was also on her as a lightering ship as lecky .22-1 73 to 4/5/73.
Old 13th October 2013, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Interesting read this post. Did you kind sir sail as a member of a family a ship/tanker from Kharg Island? The only company I am aware of for wives and family was Lowland Tankers. Why were you not a school? Or was it the summer hols. I am just noisy as BP and most MN British Shipping Companies at this time did not allow childeren to sail!! Wives yes but not children?
Well that was why my father left BP to join Safmarine. I had passed my 11 plus and left Rotterdam in July. I was at sea for near on 6 months and quite frankly it was a better education than any schooling. I was actually between schools and started back in early December. On board I did some English schoolwork but to be honest the education on the ship was worth 2 years of school. It was and will remain the best holiday of my life. Little did I know that within 7 months of returning our lives would be destroyed for ever, but that's another story.

My mother had sailed with my father before on the Dragoon in the autumn of 1967 and I boarded, but absolutely hated it. These days apart from H&S no doubt we'd do academic modules via satellite!
Old 13th October 2013, 02:49
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
I was 3/0 on the Safmarine managed tanker 'Lanmar' ex Gudrun Maersk in 1967.. the master had his wife and two young ( under 10) children aboard for the first 4 months I was on her.

Some extra detail... Safmarine didn't own her or any of the others at that time ... they were owned by the SA goverment and were actually managed by an outfit called ' Safcover'.
The master and a number of others were ex Caltex UK ... some were ex Athol....
Old 15th October 2013, 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
I was 3/0 on the Safmarine managed tanker 'Lanmar' ex Gudrun Maersk in 1967.. the master had his wife and two young ( under 10) children aboard for the first 4 months I was on her.

Some extra detail... Safmarine didn't own her or any of the others at that time ... they were owned by the SA goverment and were actually managed by an outfit called ' Safcover'.
The master and a number of others were ex Caltex UK ... some were ex Athol....
Cisco was that Ivan Currie? Pretty sure it was. Went on to become Commodore of Safmarine.

Ivan was Old Man on the Thorland until the autumn of '69. He often referred to the Lanmar which was in dry dock in Durban I think when we called there in the September/early October.

Ivan was all right but a bit how can I put it "full of his own importance". His son kindly threw a dart into my leg whilst in Europoort for no apparent reason. Ivan was fine with me though, probably because my dad was C/E! We often played board games when time permitted.

Ivan nicknamed Ivan the Terrible, came from Northern Ireland, Newtonards I think, but I preferred Peter Lucas ex-Bank Line, then 2/O (who was killed on the Thorland) who also came Northern Ireland.
Old 16th October 2013, 17:44

I don't know what happened eventually to the 'Dragoon' I sailed on her again a couple of years after the 'Kwinana Incident'. We sailed to Bonny, on leaving destined for the I.O.G. we picked up an Insurance wire which neatly coiled itself around the outer shaft seal. This had the effect of pumping sea water into the stern tube housing. On reaching the I.O.G. attempts were made to cut the wire off, however it was obvious that if all the wire were removed the seal would become completely ineffective, and it was decided to bring the lightering conversion forward and we sailed for Falmouth. I was second, Muckel Mckay was chief and I think Ron Watson was third.
After the conversion I sailed on trials, but did no actual lightering, I left the vessel in March '72
The Chief during conversion was Peter Mckenna, relieved by Muckel Mckay one of the Old men was Capt. Lefeuvre (excuse spelling), the cargo mate was Terry Tetheridge, the Engine room third was Con Doyle, the deck third was from Scotland and the fourth eng. was called Colin. I apologise to all those I can't remember.
Old 16th October 2013, 22:34
Active: 1955 - 1962

John,

Dragoon Crew list Nov 11th 1971. Arriving Falmouth( Lightening Conversion ) 26/10.

Master JAP Farret
CO Terry Tytheridge
ExCO DAG Lloyd
2M GJ Vandenburch
3M Stephen Tuck
RO PW Ferguson
CE PA Mckenna
2E You
3E C Doyle
X3E GD McInness
(Unfortunately from here on corner of page is missing so educated guessing)
4E? C O'Neill (1965EA)
JE's? G Hughes, IJ Vickery,WT Leigh
Lecky MJ Alderdice
Cat O ? Holt.

I have the crew list for Dragoon March and April 1972 if you are interested.
March ,Falmouth -Bonny FO. Then April, 'lightening vessel' arrived Finnart 10/4 presumably unloading from Bonny!

Graham
Old 17th October 2013, 17:09

Graham

Wow that takes me back, that's the crew that stood by during the conversion, I had sailed with Con Doyle a number of times and Terry was something else, great times.
Became good friends with Colin O'Neil and Elizabeth, but never heard from them again after I left the vessel. I left some time in March '72, having completed one trial in which short comings were found with the quick release hose couplings, the rest of the time we did short haul trips between U.K., Ireland and Europe.
One of these days I'll get back to you on what I did in the rest of my life.
I notice quite a number of threads about the Ambassador(Great Ship) I was on her with Muckel McKay(Chief) and Joe Hughes (what a character) when the main condenser door split open, that was exciting!!!!
Old 22nd March 2015, 13:31

My location
[I have the crew list for Dragoon March and April 1972 if you are interested.
March ,Falmouth -Bonny FO. Then April, 'lightening vessel' arrived Finnart 10/4 presumably unloading from Bonny!

Graham[/QUOTE]

I relieved Peter McKenna as C/E in February 1972. The name John Humble rang a bell, and after looking up my notes he was 2/E when I joined the Dragoon and was relieved by Gary Richardson.

Davy Reid, who was originally from NI and lived in Swansea was the Catering officer.

I left on the 4th April at Finnart when Peter McKenna, returned from leave.

As a matter of interest Gavin East was seconded to ADMA OPCO and was the Superintendent on the Umm Shaif Super Complex when I joined as Senior Engineer.

Gerry Taylor