How Many Cranes Does It Take to Unload a Giant Boxship at Port Klang? - Ships Nostalgia
04:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

How Many Cranes Does It Take to Unload a Giant Boxship at Port Klang?

User Tag List

Old 23rd April 2015, 11:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1962

My location
How Many Cranes Does It Take to Unload a Giant Boxship at Port Klang?

During CMA CGM Kerguelenís maiden call at Port Klang Port Terminal in Malaysia, the terminal set up a unique arrangement of cranes to match the length of 398-meter vessel.So exactly how many cranes did it take to unload the vessel? Twelve. Twelve cranes were used simultaneously to unload the ship, which according to CMA CGM is a company record.
CMA CGM Kerguelen was delivered to CMA CGM on March 21, 2015. With a TEU capacity of 17,722 TEU, the vessel is groupís largest containership to date. The ship is the first in a series of 6 vessels of the same size that will be delivered in 2015.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kerguelen-port-klang-1-635x422b.jpg (71.2 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg kerguelen-port-klang-2-635x422A.jpg (68.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg cp1-kerguelen-5.jpg (117.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg cp1-kerguelen-6-635x476.jpg (73.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 23rd April 2015, 11:29
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Impressive what!.....I was in Busan/Pusan a couple of years ago and think I counted 40 gantries but not all on same terminal and no more than 4 working the ships we could see...

geoff
Old 23rd April 2015, 21:27

My location
Impressive. I wonder what the shoreside enabling system looks like because that has to maintain pace (or be running slightly faster than) the 12 STS's working 30ish boxes per hour maybe ? How do they coordinate the trucks to remove the boxes shoreside without utter chaos? No wonder there are a small handful of ports that can accommodate these beasts ...
Old 23rd April 2015, 22:45

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrne98 View Post
Impressive. I wonder what the shoreside enabling system looks like because that has to maintain pace (or be running slightly faster than) the 12 STS's working 30ish boxes per hour maybe ? How do they coordinate the trucks to remove the boxes shoreside without utter chaos? No wonder there are a small handful of ports that can accommodate these beasts ...
It can be more than 30 and hour if they are handling one in, one out, which they always strive to do if possible.
Old 23rd April 2015, 23:19

My location
It would not be efficient to operate this way, as its not possible to long travel the cranes.This is purely a publicity shot with all the company boxes on the outboard side.
Old 24th April 2015, 00:04
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day geoff gower sm.yesterday.20:08re:how many cranes does it take to unload a giant boxship at port klang.a very interesting operation.crane wise.thank for posting.great thumbnails.regards ben27,
Old 20th May 2015, 11:28

That's a photo opportunity, we have these mega container ships coming into Singapore and they use 5, max 6 gantries. 12..... imagine the extra cost....... and the hassle caused trying to remove and supply containers at that rate discharge/loading!
Old 20th May 2015, 11:56
Active: 1954 - 1962

My location
Logistics of feed for 12 gantry's

I was involved in the early days of containerisation with defining the logistics of working one f the then modern 2200 TEU ships. Needless to say it all relies on the rate of export flows to the port. However this defines the frequency of the ship's schedule as well. Was easier in those days when the UK used only Southampton, but became more complex as Felixstowe came on stream. How they ever fill the current giants mystifies me.
Old 21st May 2015, 07:54
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
Must be an impressive automated ballast system, as the amount of weight coming and going simultaneously must be enormous. Also the strains on the hull for the same reason.

Mike
Old 21st May 2015, 10:55

My location
I cannt believe the transformation, in what was once a sleepy little port called Port Swettenham-"sweat" being the operative word- to this!

In Blue Funnel and Glen we always, outward, had about a thousand tons to disgorge and that was done by a couple of gangs that stayed aboard 'till the job was done: took about 48 hours!

On this occasion c.1950- (about my 5th time there), I was 3rd mate of thw Glenartney and I was on cargo watch at about 10pm and whilst trying to instil a bit of life into what was NOT going on in No.3 upper 'tween deck, one of the gang sank his cargo hook into the top of my left arm (still can just make out the scar).

I took exception to that and, not wanting to indulge in fisticuffs , grabbed his other arm and swung him around until the poor bugger lost his balance and fell over. This disgraceful scene was witnessed by Captain Tyller who happened to be leaning over the rail of his deck overlooking No.3.

Times have changed, no doubt about that but at such a pace- good God that was only 65 years ago!!!