Boiler Suit - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Boiler Suit

User Tag List

Old 23rd June 2015, 15:58
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
when we dropped a valve into the top of a B&W
Sounds like a stimulating experience

You meant 'Doxford' in para 2?

Bas - only sailed on one diesel and that was a B&W 4S
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:14
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1972 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Morris View Post
On the modern motor ships I sail on these days the owners expect you to survive on 2 boilersuits per 4 months contract, luckily I have a collection from previous greatful employers that I can dip into. Never bring any home anymore as the crew are lining up for them before I leave. I always wear one from another company when a super visits to wind them up about what cheapscates they are . Workshoes are the same, my last lot disappeared when my relief came up the gangway.

Tony
The Tanker Companies that I worked for had a similar policy on the white boiler suits that they supplied with the company name. Since these boiler suits had a large polyester content I use to order a supply of cotton boiler suits in the 60 day stores for the Engine Department. The only time any one in the Engine Department worn the White Boiler Suits was for meals or while they were washing the other boiler suits. The Captain also sold extra Company Supplied White Boiler Suits in the Slop Chest. It seem that only the Deck Officers were buying them.

Joe
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:15
Active: 1968 - 1986

No Basil not a Doxford, opposed piston B&W. with oil cooled lower piston.

On boiler suits, what about the ones we used to pick up in Bombay, complete with sawn off sleeves and those little sewn buttons.
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:19
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
opposed piston B&W
Sorry - didn't know about those.
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfaceblow View Post
The Tanker Companies that I worked for had a similar policy on the white boiler suits that they supplied with the company name. Since these boiler suits had a large polyester content I use to order a supply of cotton boiler suits in the 60 day stores for the Engine Department. The only time any one in the Engine Department worn the White Boiler Suits was for meals or while they were washing the other boiler suits. The Captain also sold extra Company Supplied White Boiler Suits in the Slop Chest. It seem that only the Deck Officers were buying them.

Joe
BP's were good quality cotton boiler suits, shows some thought went into them, the rule pocket on the leg was designed to take a safety torch.
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Sorry - didn't know about those.
Missed nothing!! though I was told that B&W's were superior to Doxfords.
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:26
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilJiver View Post
V, Air register? You must be Steamie Sparkie Leckie.
But anyway… Suck?... Suck?
No such thing as suck. Only squeeze. (And different hardness squeeze).

Tony, did same boilersuit thing when anyone from office visiting. Nice clean one of course.
I suppose I was a Steamie-sparkie when I only did the earphonie thing. After that only a gas-turbinie-sparkie then Gotaverkenie-leckie although I did pretended to be a Steamie-Super for a bit, later on.

I do know that nature abhors a vacuum but I thought the text book description a bit long on wind. Anyway tell that to a babe in arms!

"Place where the air cools off as it waits to blow in and be squashed after having been squeezed a little when the bang escapes through the fan squeezer".
Old 23rd June 2015, 16:27

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
Weekly?! Was that deckside, Nigel?

I always had seven boilersuits, new each trip. One was a spare. Two boilersuits per day in the washing machine, one per watch. On day work, two every second day in the washing m/c. Maybe on extended standby, doing a double header, a third fresh boiler suit. I didn't want to upset the chief!
Rgds.
Dave
I was Lecky, always seemed to have enough boilersuits, clean one every day.
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
No Basil not a Doxford, opposed piston B&W. with oil cooled lower piston.

On boiler suits, what about the ones we used to pick up in Bombay, complete with sawn off sleeves and those little sewn buttons.
Ah technically speaking, after a long court case, the upper piston was an 'eccentric actuated reciprocating exhaust valve'
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:43
Department: Navigation

#25, looking at your photo, it is so difficult to follow the track of the "pipe" (excuse the non-engineers technical term), is it a Klein bottle?
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:56
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Farmer John,

The "base" is the valve disc, the periphery being ground to seal against the valve seat. The approximate diameter can be guessed from the chequer plate pattern.

The "pipe" is the valve stem which should be standing "at attention" in this photo! The most likely culprit for this type of failure are the collets, little circular wedges that hold the valve in position.

It looks also like this valve has a welded stem. In B&W engines, there were many failures of the weld in the 70-80's. The valve disc would fall into the engine with catastrophic consequences!

Rgds.
Dave
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:02

My location
Short sleeve boiler suits! YIKES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogrumpy View Post
Gadzooks, man!!! We would have gotten into severe trouble if we wore a sleeveless boiler suit or a ragged one for that matter - strict company policy. One scruffy fourth was told to deep six his entire collection. When talking to a mate of mine who worked for T&J, I couldn't believe that they were allowed in the E/R in shorts, vest and flip flops and we are talking about the 80's, not when Jason and his Argonauts were babes in arms!

Rgds.
Dave
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:17

I was not really happy with the sleeveless version, easy way to get burnt, as for shorts and flip flops, no way.
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:18
Active: 1964 - 1996

We used "Basol" in a drum of water heated with steam from the boiler reciprocating feed pump in the 60's
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:25
Active: 1973 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
....."Place where the air cools off as it waits to blow in and be squashed after having been squeezed a little when the bang escapes through the fan squeezer".
Ticket in post.
Gas turbines you worked with V - any good? Fairly uncommon merchant ship fit.
Either way guess the boilersuit didn’t take too much stick.
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:00
Department: Navigation

Makko, I can follow it now, thanks.
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:43

Quote:
Gadzooks, man!!! We would have gotten into severe trouble if we wore a sleeveless boiler suit or a ragged one for that matter......
Right enough M. Though plenty guys did wear short sleeves of course. (Some even cut off at shoulder and also remember one cowboy with boilersuit cut off at knees).
Used to try and acquire decent boilersuits (legitimately) from anywhere I could, Other companies, makers, shipyards etc. (So long as they were cotton).
Among best, one unintentionally obtained from a Class Surveyor. Large letters on back said VISITOR.
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:55
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
The great prize was to liberate one of the harlequin style ones used by the container gangs in Australia, grey and red quaters were popular (and very jealously guarded by the legitimate owners) Somewhere I've got a lurid lime green one with the Conaust legend across the back - poly cotton so for drinking use only!!

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:11

Never saw one of those Duncan but sound the business.
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:24

My location
Quote:
Used to try and acquire decent boilersuits (legitimately) from anywhere I could, Other companies, makers, shipyards etc. (So long as they were cotton).
Among best, one unintentionally obtained from a Class Surveyor. Large letters on back said VISITOR.
I used to buy mine at Greenberg's, really good quality and pure cotton!
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:26

After the Herald o f Enterprise disaster P&O re-branded the cross channel trade.

Our purchasing manager, the every diligent Archie Caldwell, got a batch of the most comfortable and hard wearing boiler suits ever. "P&O" was neatly obliterated by a Denholm Blue patch. I still have one. Never sure about having anything but white 'though, these were orange.
Old 23rd June 2015, 23:43
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurtis1 View Post
We used "Basol" in a drum of water heated with steam from the boiler reciprocating feed pump in the 60's
Wow ccurtis1 i haven't seen basol since i first went to sea in the mid 70's and i believe it got banned.
Old 24th June 2015, 00:16

Quote:
I used to buy mine at Greenberg's, really good quality and pure cotton!
Never managed to acquire one of those made of good cotton with twin seahorses on the back.
Bet SM has a case full of ‘em.
Old 24th June 2015, 07:55

Wonderful photograph!

Do you know its origin?
Old 24th June 2015, 11:17

Quote:
Ticket in post.
Gas turbines you worked with V - any good? Fairly uncommon merchant ship fit.
Either way guess the boilersuit didn’t take too much stick.
P&W Free turbine configuration. I first heard of these when one my first Denholm ship and thereafter it was my ambition to get to them. By the time I did the fuel crisis had forced the attempt to burn shi't in them (BFO, washed to rid the salt, flocculated to help settle the water then to the purifiers to demonstrate how little the settling process had worked, injection of combustion water and vanadium inhibitor 'liquimag' then 'pink' liquimag, can't remember proper name, then finally homogenization - all attended by as much heat as the hot water 'boiler's could provided. If you were lucky the flame didn't go out when you changed from paraffin, MGT7, to sh't!). Burning sh't in aircraft engines! was there to be no end to the fun (perhaps not so much for the plumbers who prayed to the alfa laval god nightly for salvation).

At sea one is not too much troubled by the health of the commercial enterprise but they were the greatest of fun to be on and the first where I had become an integral part of the team (although still a Marconi man then) instead of a hanger-on in case of emergencies (or out of range of the world service for the football). They went for re-enginning and re-peopling (Germans, fair I suppose that's where they had been built) - no way I was going back to the earphonie thing so grateful to be taken on by the Diamond D as Leckie. First trip leckie, first trip on motor ship and it was a Gotaverken - learning curve helped by being able to watch most of the gubbins while it was working.

Denholm had had Morar but I missed her. Free piston gasifier. Later they got INZHENER YERMOSHKIN. I would have loved to see her but was then withering on that corporate vine. She had waste heat recovery on both GT trains and steam as well as gas turbines. When interviewing my first Ukrainian E/O Andriy Ostapenko (excellent education/training/certification regime) we were chatting about her.
"Ah! the ships that bankrupted the Baltic Fleet!" so I suppose they felt the pinch of fuel prices too! When burning what P&W had designed them for we could burn 300 Tons of paraffin a day!

(We also had a Paxman, I would have loved to see how that worked but often it didn't. I can no longer remember how many oil drums were required for the bits while stripping it down. Each shaft had a 1 MW AEG Thyristor dependent Shaft generator not fuel effective to run in port but often the only way of keeping on the lights)

I will post a control room picture, the boiler suite looks a little grubby. Perhaps I had been rolling about to make it look as if I was important.

YOU got me started, the difficulty is in the stopping!

Last edited by Varley; 24th June 2015 at 11:21..