Radio Company R/O preference. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
11:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Radio Company R/O preference.

User Tag List

Old 2nd May 2015, 21:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by expats View Post
That's him.....It was a conversation with him that got me onto Freelance; one of the best decisions I've ever made....I owe him a lot
Never found the REOU a very effective organisation in my time at sea (up to 1981). Perhaps 'morphing' into an employment agency was about as useful as they got.
We had a flagging out dispute on Cunard Countess in about 1978 and the REOU just rolled over and supported the NUS at the time without lobbying Cunard R/O's opinion or giving us the facts.
Old 10th May 2015, 10:24
Active: 1964 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Eccleson View Post
Never found the REOU a very effective organisation in my time at sea (up to 1981). Perhaps 'morphing' into an employment agency was about as useful as they got.
We had a flagging out dispute on Cunard Countess in about 1978 and the REOU just rolled over and supported the NUS at the time without lobbying Cunard R/O's opinion or giving us the facts.
I can't say I ever had much involvement with the REOU as an organisation. However, I found the individual 'reps' I contacted of great help....
When working for Sealink I did a 'General Cert'....Two days before the exam the Sealink supervisor (an ex-captain) insisted that I returned to duty. He refused to listen to any reason and threatened to have me sacked when I refused...The Harwich rep attended a meeting with me and managed to get management backing in allowing me to take the exam and then return...
Old 15th July 2015, 22:35

A cheapo box of King Eddy's from the States or from the ship's bond normally did the trick for Bob Porter in the Marconi Liverpool office - I always got good jobs off him !

Happy days
Rgds / 73's
Lamby

Last edited by Steven Lamb; 15th July 2015 at 22:38..
Old 15th July 2015, 23:43
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Poor old Bob. If you'd given those to a dishonest man he'd have sent you to the Stonehaven.
Old 16th July 2015, 03:03

I know you don't mean GND but more the birthplace of my first-born. Was there a reason for Denholm's (which I assume was the company) giving this name?

Last edited by R651400; 16th July 2015 at 03:05..
Old 16th July 2015, 11:38

I would have said Stonehavenradio. Wouldn't I?

No, Stonehaven/GYXD ex Hopepark. Perhaps if your firstborn had been a Denholm that would have been a good reason! I hope he or she does not deprecate my used of GYXD as my ringtone. The only office wallah still with us who might know is my leader Mr. Brown. Haven't spoken to him for years.

When I remember all the names I will tell you the story of why she was, for some, a punishment.

(Punishment ship, Chief! Punishment ship! what the f... do you think we're on now?)
Old 16th July 2015, 22:53

My location
Ah, yes - punishment ship.

The of repeated cry on the Dalma was ' The sack is no threat here!'
Old 16th July 2015, 23:57

I had overlooked Dalma. I am not so sure she didn't come second (or perhaps third if we include Morar). No 'fridge on Stonehaven was ever as well stocked 'though!
Old 17th July 2015, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I would have said Stonehavenradio. Wouldn't I?
But of course and why should I have questioned one of SN's puritanicals?
On thread subject Stonehaven/GYXD does move the goal posts somewhat from a myriad of Marconi cargo liner to tramp ship choice in the beginning and ending with Denholm's punishment hulks?
Old 17th July 2015, 09:50

I don't think the thread was specifically Marconi or tramping. But I bow to your more liberal sensibilities. GYXD was, I suppose, just an excuse to talk of myself. She wasn't even under Bob's wing but East Ham (where, indeed, one was summonsed by morse - but they had a sense of humour there as well).
Old 17th July 2015, 10:02

I actually thought that East Ham to St Vincent Street or was it Square had somewhat evaporated...
Leave you to talk Denholm's..
Old 17th July 2015, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lamb View Post
A cheapo box of King Eddy's from the States or from the ship's bond normally did the trick for Bob Porter in the Marconi Liverpool office - I always got good jobs off him !

Happy days
Rgds / 73's
Lamby
Now I know where I went wrong! After I blotted my copy book with Marconis, Mr Porter wouldn't let me do the voyage after coasting on a cargo ship but he put me on another one sailing from Cardiff to Glasgow. I rang him from Glasgow and asked if I could go deep sea and he said no but would I fly over to Rotterdam to join some other cargo ship to do the coast. I was tempted because doing the coast was a riot but it was obviously all going to end in tears so I told him to jam it.

That same day, I wandered down to Buchanan Street and discovered that the grass really was greener on the other side of the street.

John T
Old 17th July 2015, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
I actually thought that East Ham to St Vincent Street or was it Square had somewhat evaporated...
Leave you to talk Denholm's..
Strange indeed. To protect commercial interests the Stonehaven was not officially managed by Denholm but by Stonehaven Ship Management 3? Renfield Street - the back door of 120 St. Vincent Street. Perhaps it was meant to aid the subterfuge that they dealt with East Ham (not sure if Glasgow ever did personnel....?). Both Marconi and Denholm Ship Management have indeed gone. The latter subsumed into AngloEastern. The Denholm Group is still very much alive 'though, just not in ship management.

Last edited by Varley; 17th July 2015 at 19:16.. Reason: Wrong street name
Old 17th July 2015, 20:52
Active: 1967 - 1977

Quote:

Happy days
Rgds / 73's
Lamby
Never got any bad ships from Bob, however after just getting my 6 months sea time in, he did say he had a good ship for me.
How long is the trip? I asked
You'll like this one,
How long is the trip? I asked
You get to fly to New York
How long, etc etc.
12 months.
One of the best experiences, on a 1609grt Booth Line from New York, through the W Indies, up the Amazon to Iquitos. 4 round trips total,lasting 15 months.

Good times
I still see Bob
Old 17th July 2015, 21:44

Quote:
(not sure if Glasgow ever did personnel....?).
So Buchanan Street previously mentioned a figment of imagination?
Was thinking along the lines of St Vincent Street by day as a freelance operative eg "Naess" and by night if you were that way inclined and had the money.. Bottle of Shettleston Beaujolais" inclusive...
Old 18th July 2015, 00:04

Sorry OM but I can't reference Buchanan Street on this thread. However Intercity House was in Buchanan Street and that housed that part of the empire to which Sir Ian decamped sometime after I came ashore. It also housed the minibulker empire of Bob Speedie and Denholm MacLay but I thought they were all 1599ers and none of us (wearing R/O hat, here) would have needed to darken that doorstep.

I didn't know we did any direct employ until after I came ashore (but that is probably the big head). The ex Naess Crusader (for instance) was Kelvin Hughes contract.
Old 18th July 2015, 00:21

It was I who mentioned Buchanan Street - stomping ground of Scottish Ship Management.

John T
Old 18th July 2015, 09:45

Ooops misread your post ie assumed there must've been another Marconi or maybe an IMR office somewhere on Buchanan Street...
Old 18th July 2015, 11:05

There certainly was a depot in Glasgow. The last address I can see is Loanbank Quadrant, Helen Street, Govan. Thinking back on it the GTV appointments were made from Liverpool despite actual calls in Greenock which reinforces my thoughts that it didn't do crewing (a busy building and repair area of old maybe it was assigned only that business).
Old 18th July 2015, 11:21

All Marconi manning on the west coast was handled by Liverpool after about 1971.

John T
Old 19th July 2015, 10:11

Passing thru the bustling port of Leith in 1954 and seeing the Marconi office daily en route to Leith Nautical College it always looked a sad dismal hole giving little inspiration to where my future metier lay.
Happily one of the staff was a very obliging gentleman ie the technician who kitted out GTZM gear on Henry Robb Leith new-builds who allowed me to see how it was done circa '55 on Wilson's "Rollo" and Currie's "Zeeland.."
Question still hits me today with a PMG2 pass what ship I would have been assigned to from GTZM Leith par comparison with East Ham or Southampton and one wonders as I recall why all LNC PMG passes prior to mine opted for IMR Glasgow?
Old 19th July 2015, 10:49

The perception while at college was that IMR sought the cream of the crop - 2nd class never seemed to be much of an issue (not so many passenger vessels in our time I expect). I think it more likely that the difference would be in owner and the company and depot contracted. I am sure IMR must have contracted someone's punishment ships from time to time.

(I have just found my second joining instruction, first as FIRST! for the Tilapa at Genoa for GBP 24 per month. This was arranged by MIMCO's SOUTHAMPTON Depot).
Old 19th July 2015, 13:28

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
All Marconi manning on the west coast was handled by Liverpool after about 1971.

John T
.. except for Morecambe Bay ...
Old 19th July 2015, 14:26

My location
Quote:

Happy days
Rgds / 73's
Lamby
Ah, so that's how it was done ... I recall in my naievety writing to Robin Seaton bleating about favouritism in Liverpool (we all did stupid things in our youth, let's be honest) .. should have copied Bob in but, em, forgot. I can vividly recall Bob's face as he (justifiably) threw the letter at me. To be fair, I was quite impressed that it had gotten back to Liverpool in a remarkably short time from Hobart. Anyway, we made up later when I worked alongside him, and was always a pleasure.

He never struck me as a chap who'd be swayed by cigars so, tell me Steve, what's your operational definition of a 'good job'?? Maybe my accusation had some validity?
Old 19th July 2015, 17:10
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
I am sure IMR must have contracted someone's punishment ships from time to time.
You can be sure that all the Operating Companies were involved in selling 'pups' to gullible R/Os whenever it suited. They didn't pick and choose their customers so every Company ended up with a (very) mixed bunch of sips and shipowners. So some poor sparks had to take the jobs that were at end of the stick that wasn't so sweet-smelling. Look at my post #16 on this thread to see an example involving IMR.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showth...ight=Frenulina

Quote:
I have just found my second joining instruction, first as FIRST! for the Tilapa at Genoa for GBP 24 per month. This was arranged by MIMCO's SOUTHAMPTON Depot).
David,

Your figure (monetary, not physical) is somewhat suspect. If you went to sea in 1971 as stated in your SN profile, you would have been paid substantially more. When I approached MIMCo for a job in 1959 the rate was 28 pounds Sterling per month and when I eventually got a ship in June 1960 the starting rate had risen to 36 pounds Sterling. I suspect that by 1971 it would have been about double that. Someone on here will no doubt have the actual rates!

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.