Titanic key sold for 90,000 - Ships Nostalgia
02:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Titanic key sold for 90,000

User Tag List

Old 23rd September 2007, 02:52
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Thumbs up Titanic key sold for 90,000

BBC News report here.

Anonymous telephone bidder - that Tmac1720 chap's got more money than sense!

Last edited by Gulpers; 23rd September 2007 at 02:56..
Old 23rd September 2007, 04:10

Wow that's very interesting; Makes me want to play Titanic Adventure out of Time.
Old 23rd September 2007, 08:50
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
I find it hard to comprehend that a simple lock defeated the ingenuity of the crew of the Titanic. Surely on finding the locked box the normal solution would be some gentle probing with a knife etc or borrow a spare set of binoculars from the bridge. (Also, of course, the Mate always has a locker of spare keys) But then that would knock a few thousand off the auction value eh ?
Or maybe I'm being too cynical .............. There again major misshapps often start from a sequence of minor events, so who knows ?
MikeK

Last edited by MikeK; 23rd September 2007 at 08:57..
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:31
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Ray its Tom who sold it
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:35

My location
It gives "For want of a nail the shoe was lost" a whole new meaning!

Peter4447
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:46
Just a Injun

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I find it hard to comprehend that a simple lock defeated the ingenuity of the crew of the Titanic. Surely on finding the locked box the normal solution would be some gentle probing with a knife etc or borrow a spare set of binoculars from the bridge. (Also, of course, the Mate always has a locker of spare keys) But then that would knock a few thousand off the auction value eh ?
Or maybe I'm being too cynical .............. There again major misshapps often start from a sequence of minor events, so who knows ?
MikeK
I agree with you MikeK, someone has been conned out of 90,000, still he sounds as if he can afford it.
Old 23rd September 2007, 11:54
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
heh heh heh...TMacs got a dozen more keys like that for sale....LOL
Old 23rd September 2007, 18:32
Active: 1964 - 1997

My location
Sussssh !! or everybody will want one I've been up all night making the tags for the other keys I've just "found" for the fog locker and the sluice valve switchboard.
I have to agree with the other lads, talk about a fool and his money soon being parted especially as the ships binoculars were not kept in a locker but on an open shelf above the signal flag locker on the bridge. In now appears the key tag, according to press reports had the inscription "crows nest telephone locker" where apparently they just happend to store the binoculars. Are we seriously expected to believe a simple wooden locker defeated the combined skills of the four carpenters on board as well as the Harland and Wolff party? somehow I can't see it can you? Any of us could take the ruddy door off in an emergency and get the chippy to make a new one. As a point of interest the bridge procedure was for the lookout to report to the bridge before taking up station to collect the binoculars and to have them adjusted prior to ascending to the crows nest. (These instructions were found in the H&W archives) I realise this is probably going to start a debate among the "Titanoracks" but is it possible perhaps that Fred Fleet was late for duty and decided to go straight to the crows nest hoping to "borrow" his reliefs binoculars however as his "mate" had signed them out and was therefore responsible for them refused and took them back down with him to the bridge as he went off duty. In any event all the bridge officers had their own binoculars.

Last edited by Tmac1720; 23rd September 2007 at 18:36..
Old 23rd September 2007, 19:16
user

My location
I gather one of the next items to be auctioned off is the collision bulkhead from the Titantic, apparently it was to have been installed by the night shift, but they forgot and the foreman took it home with him to avoid any criticism; it has been lying in his garden shed all these years and is seeminfgly as good as new, in fact experts from the Folk Museum allegedly report that it is such good condition, with the High Tensile Steel so perfect, it could have been made yesterday. ....
Old 23rd September 2007, 19:28
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Wink titanic key

Tonga, must be something about Houlder's training - I was mulling over putting something similar in print. Pipped to the post so I'll shut up. I just find it amazing that -- well it's all been said above. I actually have a bit of the "T" in my safe, but I think I mentioned that before.
Old 23rd September 2007, 19:40
user

My location
Duquesa, sorry about that - I know how tedious it can be to have written a long answer/comment only to post it and find someone has done likewise a minute before.

Houlders have a lot to answer for, apparently my sense of humour was normal before I joined the Firey Kipper Fleet....
Old 23rd September 2007, 20:25

My location
I have acquired a spare kick-start pedal for Titanic's main engine which was found in the fog locker just before departure and thown onto the quay where it was picked up by the great-uncle of a friend of a bloke down the pub who's nephew later found it in his granny's knitting bag when she was arrested for prostitution in Belfast.

It will be going onto eBay next Sunday with a starting price of 10,000. If anyone wants to get in first please send me a PM and I will do you a deal for cash. Tmac has confirmed it is the genuine article and only wanted 3% commission - which I think was very reasonable.

Photo below:

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/84/6a/95f2_2.JPG

Brian
Old 23rd September 2007, 20:37
user

My location
Clearly if it has been verified by Tmac, then that seems conclusive, but I cannot help but notice the colour of the cloth Brian are you sure this is not a Flue Stirrer? There were quite a few of these, but they were considered dangerous (or unfair depending on your background).
Old 23rd September 2007, 21:21

Reminds me of a brake pedal off a winch Brian - I think you have been done - its not off the main engine, those pedals where 16 feet long with toe grippers so the stokers didnt fall off and brackets to hang their shovels whilst they jumped up and down in unison, - come to think of it, no it could not have been unison that union wasnt around then - anyway they jumped up and down together. I would suggest you have a Titanic winch brake pedal in immaculate condition, possibly mint condition. Could be worth a packet -- packet of Mints that is !!!!!

Chris.

PS I consider TMacs commission very reasonable under the circumstances.

Last edited by Santos; 23rd September 2007 at 21:24..
Old 23rd September 2007, 21:39

My location
dunno why they didnt just switch the radar on.............
Old 24th September 2007, 00:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
dunno why they didnt just switch the radar on.............
On the iceberg?
Old 24th September 2007, 04:44
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
I still blame the lookouts on the iceburg..it was way off course anyway.
Old 24th September 2007, 07:03
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
If they'd postponed the maiden voyage, of Titanic, 'til now there wouldn't have been an accident as there wouldn't have been any ice-bergs around as they're all melting due to 'global-warming'. They MUST have known that there was a good chance of global-warming happening so why didn't they just delay the sailing for 95 years? Apart from owt else it would have saved that numpty, who bought that key, 90,000!!! Cheers Phil
Old 24th September 2007, 08:48

My location
Marvelous how a bit of cynicism has released such imaginative ways to get a liner sunk/relieve some d*ck-head of wads of money ! I didn't realize the hidden creative genius on the forum............or is it all true
MikeK
Old 24th September 2007, 10:07

Anyway, the "Expert" from my Mother-in-Law's Mail at the weekend said that if the lookout had had binoculars then the collision would never have happened. So there we are.
Old 24th September 2007, 12:00

My location
My mummy said that I would never amount to anything if I played with bad boys like you lot Oh ye of little faith doubting Brian's kick start pedal and after he went to all the trouble of finding 100 year old plastic too And as for that Tonga chap, I know for a fact he has a secret stash of sluice valves which he nicked from Houlders stores and is hoping to flog on e bay to boost his retirement fund.
Old 24th September 2007, 12:19

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Marvelous how a bit of cynicism has released such imaginative ways to get a liner sunk/relieve some d*ck-head of wads of money ! I didn't realize the hidden creative genius on the forum............or is it all true
MikeK
Would we lie to you ???? Pssssst I've got a few genuine Titanic rivets for sale, stainless steel and complete with rust streaks, tenner each or six for fifty quid

Last edited by Tmac1720; 24th September 2007 at 19:48..
Old 24th September 2007, 15:45

My location
Question...Where does the last rivet in a ship go ??

Answer..... In the last hole of course ! guffaw, guffaw

I'll half a doz of each Mr T

Mike
Old 24th September 2007, 19:53

My location
In one of the Dutch national newspapers was an article today that reported
that this key was the key ( excuse the pun ) as to why the Titanic sank.
It is obvious that they copied it from some other source but their own
intepretations are a bit out of line.
Will send them an e-mail ( in English of course ) tomorrow and point out that
as we all know , the lack of binoculars had nothing to do with not sighting
the berg. Binoculars focus on the part of the horizon that you want to see
and do not give an overall picture.

RUUD , if you read , it was the "pers". I know it is a free newspaper but they
always advertise that they seek the truth.
Old 24th September 2007, 22:24

I just want to back up to that part about Irish lasses of dubious virtue. Did know a guy with a 'Titanic' plate once (with providence). It was replacement for turning the ship around in N.Y. and was apparently part of a shipment that was sent ahead-probably with Cunard. LOL WILL