Indo China Steam Navigation - Page 7 - Ships Nostalgia
20:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Indo China Steam Navigation

User Tag List

Old 16th July 2015, 17:12

Got to know gpp well in Melbourne when I was volunteering lots on a sail training ship. Alma doepel. That was during my time off from piloting and gpp was helping run the sailing ship. Amazingly, whenever I heard his voice I mentally sharpened up. Memories of bollickings from the past about my barbills and the like. A Few years ago in my retirement I did an MA in maritime history at Greenwich uni UK. Washup produced a 200 page dissertation all about jardines shipping history. Anybody want a copy email postal address to [email protected]. presently cruising vineyards in France so will take some weeks to sober up and get them in the mail. Peter ballantyne
Old 16th July 2015, 22:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1952 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Sorry to hear about the passing of Capt Parrish, he certainly had a good innings.
Indeed there are a few familiar names mentioned by Jon that brought back good memories of a time I still reckon was my best time at sea.
I had forgotten the name of Charlie Yuen who was 3rd mate on the Hang Sang when I joined in July '64 on my first ICSN ship. He had already outlived three wives (or was it more ?) Remember his binoculars ? The prisms had been knocked at some dim and distant time in the past and looking through them presented two images with a step up between. The only way to get a full image was to cant the head over at 45deg and everything lined up. Charlie however used them without leaning over ! Also the neat crosses on the chart at the end of his watch, which I heard were achieved by looking out the bridge window then producing neat crosses on the line !
Happy happy days

Mike

PS Anyone remember the 'Flying Phallus' kept on the monkey island that was going to be entered in the Sandakan Yacht Club annual race ? It was a dugout canoe bought from the locals at Bohian Island by the mate (forget his name) and was being 'done' up by getting sails made in HK by either Wo Fat or Wing Cheung the tailors. The phallus bit was because of the prow which had been modified to represent said member !
Never did get to compete in the race as it launched itself off the monkey island during heavy rolling in the ne monsoon and that was that !
Mike, If the F.P was a memory of yours from the Hang Sang then the boat was bought by Jan Jensen when he was master in mid 1964. I crewed for him one day in Sandakan and ended up with such badly sun burned thighs I could not wear shorts for a few days.

I sailed with Jan on three ships, the first was the Argosy straight out of Denny's yard in Dumbarton (1956), the Saga 1958/59 and finally the Hang Sang. Had a really sweet wife, Jo, a Londoner, but I lost track of them after they took off for Australia in about 1967. Does anyone have more up to date news? Nick
Old 17th July 2015, 00:21
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
Thanks for the info Nick, did Jo have very unusual gray eyes perchance ? When I read your reply I had a fleeting image of a lady with blond hair and those eyes. I think that must have been my first trip and she did a trip. Also the ch mate was Mike Irish who I could never believe was a fellow Geordie with such a posh accent !

Mike
Old 17th July 2015, 03:23

Quote:
Thanks for the info Nick, did Jo have very unusual gray eyes perchance ? When I read your reply I had a fleeting image of a lady with blond hair and those eyes. I think that must have been my first trip and she did a trip. Also the ch mate was Mike Irish who I could never believe was a fellow Geordie with such a posh accent !

Mike
I think you are right about the eyes but her hair was quite dark which she wore a la Audrey Hepburn in those days, Very petite in contrast to Jan, the Hulk. I think the marriage may have broken up after the move to Australia. They were newly weds when I first met them in Dumbarton while we were standing by the Argosy, and I can remember being subjected to all sorts of lectures by Jan on the meaning of true love. He was still reading from the same page when we sailed together on the Saga two years later. Sad.

Of the officers on the maiden voyage of the Argosy, Frankie Main, the old man, John Stormont, the mate, Wallaby McPherson, the chief and Dick Hudson, the second, the third Jack Pettigrew and two of the juniors Alistair Dyer & Jimmy McCrae all soon married Australian girls, though only Wallaby and Dick were Australians. The second and third mate, Wally Skidmore and Jan respectively later settled there and the Scottish R/O, Tom McMinn, was already married there! Such was the lure Down Under in those days though I succumbed elsewhere. Nick
Old 17th July 2015, 07:45

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwilson89 View Post
I think you are right about the eyes but her hair was quite dark which she wore a la Audrey Hepburn in those days, Very petite in contrast to Jan, the Hulk. I think the marriage may have broken up after the move to Australia. They were newly weds when I first met them in Dumbarton while we were standing by the Argosy, and I can remember being subjected to all sorts of lectures by Jan on the meaning of true love. He was still reading from the same page when we sailed together on the Saga two years later. Sad.

Of the officers on the maiden voyage of the Argosy, Frankie Main, the old man, John Stormont, the mate, Wallaby McPherson, the chief and Dick Hudson, the second, the third Jack Pettigrew and two of the juniors Alistair Dyer & Jimmy McCrae all soon married Australian girls, though only Wallaby and Dick were Australians. The second and third mate, Wally Skidmore and Jan respectively later settled there and the Scottish R/O, Tom McMinn, was already married there! Such was the lure Down Under in those days though I succumbed elsewhere. Nick
After all this time I could well have got the hair wrong, but your description of the two matches up, she was a very pleasant lady to talk to.
I seem to be the odd one out at recalling memories and details from those times. Everyone posting on here seems to have a detailed inventory in their head of nearly everyone they sailed with !
Something that has just popped into my head is the Marconi Sparks that was an ex marine and used to pass the time making underwater bombs to try and catch fish down in Bohian ? Nice bloke, although crap at bombs ! Of course the explosive came from expired distress rockets (Frank ?)
As mentioned re -my memory, none of the names you gave of the 'Argosy' crowd were familiar, did John Stormont end up in the office ? - but I do remember the Aussy girls !

Mike

Last edited by MikeK; 17th July 2015 at 08:01..
Old 22nd July 2015, 02:35

Mike, Yes John Stormont interviewed me before I went to HKG; he was a Marine Advisor of sorts for M&Co in London. I don't think he went back to HKG after that.

On the HANG, we had a half deck dugout named BUG TOO. It had bamboo spars and a single outrigger, with a bolt on fixed centreboard. The first job every trip on arrival Sandakan was to go ashore with a parang and cut new spars!
I put her in the Sandakan YC Interport Regatta!! I had the outrigger on the stbd side, and close hauled on the stbd tack she was like greased lightning! But as dead as a log on the port tack!!

We had a ~12ft dinghy with a Seagull too, BEATLE. I used that a great deal to go fishing up the side creeks at Wallace Bay. Great sport too!

Johnny Boyle bought a ski boat, and later Robin Fitzgerald had the smallest dugout ever seen; the game was to paddle round the ship in the evenings at Bohiyan; the winner was the one who sank the least number of times!

I'm sure we did a great deal of work in those days, but strangely don't seem to remember that!

Jon
Old 22nd July 2015, 02:44

Another H Class Liner story;
We had a young HKG 3/O on the HANG who was dead lazy! Johnny Boyle fired him. Then after JB bought his ski boat he wanted to use it for commuting to Yam-O. He found he needed a HKG Marine Dept "Boat drivers ticket" for this, so duly presented himself for examination. Lo and behold the examiner was the said lazy/fired ex 3/O!!

Were any of you on the voyage with Jan Jensen when Honeymoon Island was christened?

Jon
Old 22nd July 2015, 04:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Elliott View Post
Another H Class Liner story;
We had a young HKG 3/O on the HANG who was dead lazy! Johnny Boyle fired him. Then after JB bought his ski boat he wanted to use it for commuting to Yam-O. He found he needed a HKG Marine Dept "Boat drivers ticket" for this, so duly presented himself for examination. Lo and behold the examiner was the said lazy/fired ex 3/O!!

Were any of you on the voyage with Jan Jensen when Honeymoon Island was christened?

Jon
I remember Honeymoon Island very well just a stone's throw from Bohayan Island but never heard the story of its naming. Jan by the way had his honeymoon in Italy (which was one reason why he was still hooked on Italian pop music years later, Volare, Dean Martin et al) He was also tee total in those days, Got to look after the 'bod' and had his weights on the stbd side of the upper deck. When we were in Calcutta on the Eastern Saga and he was 'super bronzed' he got some very odd looks from some of the memsahibs. Probably never lodged a complaint because he was such delicious eye candy for them! Nick
Old 22nd July 2015, 05:07

The story has it; a newlywed couple from JM & Co was given a round trip on an H boat. Jan J was Master. As usual at Bohiyan, diving/fishing etc was the order of the day. The newlyweds were sent off to this little islet for P & Q, whilst all the troops did their thing. After a hard day and an even harder evening, all said troops turned in. Next morning no newly weds at breakfast and suddenly someone remembered they he had forgotten to collect them the night before and they had spent a night with nature on the island! Hence, it became Honeymoon Island. Jon

PS Any news of Jeff Denney?

Jon
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:13

My location
Quote:
The story has it; a newlywed couple from JM & Co was given a round trip on an H boat. Jan J was Master. As usual at Bohiyan, diving/fishing etc was the order of the day. The newlyweds were sent off to this little islet for P & Q, whilst all the troops did their thing. After a hard day and an even harder evening, all said troops turned in. Next morning no newly weds at breakfast and suddenly someone remembered they he had forgotten to collect them the night before and they had spent a night with nature on the island! Hence, it became Honeymoon Island. Jon

PS Any news of Jeff Denney?

Jon

That's the story I was given as well. As far as I remember I only did my first trip with Jan, or possibly two.
Re the dugout canoe, it must have been the same one and changed its name to the F P one after the artistic modification to the prow ! Many happy memories of the dinghy/Seagull Outboard. Getting the draft every morning then seeing No2 Compradore to get a breakdown on yesterdays cargo ops to fill in the Logbook. No I don't think there was too much work involved in those days ! I heard that the (Ho?))Sang lost her outboard on an expedition somewhere when they didn't screw it down properly and passing through some rough stuff it fell off with Stan Little grimly hanging on to it until water pressure made him let go !
There must be bad memories of that time somewhere, but I can't recall any.

Mike
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:57

Hi Mike, Hope you are well on the other side of the Channel. All these memories of H boats so true. I did a couple of trips on Ho Sang from May '65 before joining you on Eastern Muse. Master was Laurie Cox, Mate was Mike Bishop, ( great bloke ). I can't remember the 2nd Mates name, but have vivid memories of mooring the dingy to a piece of coral out on the reef at Bohiyan and going off snorkelling, leaving him fishing. Next there was a splash quite close to me and he shouted out " Barracuda. " I was still swimming at Olympic speed as i beached on the sand !! He only wanted me to swim out and release him from the coral. As a young 3rd Mate just joined Indo China from Harrisons, and being used to check all Bills of Lading etc before signing anything, i remember the Comprador going off on one when i started to ask a few questions, " you just sign, no check". I soon got the hang of things !! Also lifting the lifeboat every so often as we neared completion of loading, to gauge the stability. Fantastic times in Jardines and Mathesons of London. the best days of my working life. Left in '72 to go into fishing back home in Guernsey with my father in law.
So many names come to mind. While we were in 20 Mount Austin Road, i remember quite a few of our neighbors. The wives would get together often. I am sure we remember Mary Elliot, would she have been Jon's wife, i wonder. Nick Funston, David Greenhalph, Sid Ferguson, Graham Taylor, Nick Lane, Derek Smith and many others. As i recall Peter and Jenny Stoodely lived on Kowloon side. Great memories.
Old 23rd July 2015, 23:04

My location
Evening Gents.

I've been following this thread with interest, because for a period all our Chinese crews in Denholm ships came from Jah Deen as they called it.

Later, of course, they set up for themselves with Russel Sanderson in charge.

I've also just noted Sid Ferguson's name, he was super in Denholm's for a ship I was on for quite a while.

Best Regards,

RMcK.
Old 23rd July 2015, 23:14

Hi, I remember Russ Sanderson well, as i took over in the Crew Dept. from him. As you so rightly say, he started his own company, and took Denholms with him. One year or so in the office was enough for me, and i asked to go back to sea with Mathesons, from uk. Geoff Parrish was great with me, never had a problem. I kept out of the politics completely. Stood by the building of Collin in Sunderland and then sailed in her with Derek Smith.
Old 5th August 2015, 17:41

Jeff Denny went into the container terminal at Botany Bay in Sydney and must be long retired now. Frank Pickering used to see him at Master Mariners meetings. Mike Bishop was last heard of in survey work at Gladstone in Queensland which had become a big busy bulkship port. That was some 20 years ago and have heard nothing of him since. Wonderful hearing the stories of the H-boats and the names of the people from so long ago. Peter Ballantyne.
Old 6th August 2015, 07:47

My location
Hi Pete (Guernsey43) and thanks for the reply, so many familiar names from those great days. What worries me is everyone else seems to remember so many and I don't !
I remember the stability guide alternative to the lifeboat method, on the Hang Sang was to line up the awning spar on the stbd bridge wing with a point on the shore before giving the hard a port order when leaving Bohyan Is, and see how far she heeled over !
Mention of Sid Ferguson brought back an image of him stepping backwards on the boatdeck of the Muse during a 'Sundowners', catching his heel and disappearing backwards down the ladder clutching a glass of G&T ! What made it memorable was, besides not killing himself, he landed in a heap at the bottom unhurt, giggling and clutching said G&T completely unspilled !
God looks after the drunk indeed !

Mike
Old 13th August 2015, 03:48

H-boat stability

I don't remember any fancy 'rolling tests' but I do remember the single sheet of paper the mate had in his file showing the KMs and KGs. That was it, and you knew how tender the ship was each time they filled the fresh water and sanitary tanks on each side of the navigating bridge.

Quote:
Hi Pete (Guernsey43) and thanks for the reply, so many familiar names from those great days. What worries me is everyone else seems to remember so many and I don't !
I remember the stability guide alternative to the lifeboat method, on the Hang Sang was to line up the awning spar on the stbd bridge wing with a point on the shore before giving the hard a port order when leaving Bohyan Is, and see how far she heeled over !
Mention of Sid Ferguson brought back an image of him stepping backwards on the boatdeck of the Muse during a 'Sundowners', catching his heel and disappearing backwards down the ladder clutching a glass of G&T ! What made it memorable was, besides not killing himself, he landed in a heap at the bottom unhurt, giggling and clutching said G&T completely unspilled !
God looks after the drunk indeed !

Mike
Old 13th August 2015, 04:15

H Boat Stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwilson89 View Post
I don't remember any fancy 'rolling tests' but I do remember the single sheet of paper the mate had in his file showing the KMs and KGs. That was it, and you knew how tender the ship was each time they filled the fresh water and sanitary tanks on each side of the navigating bridge.
The Hon Tricky Dicky made a rare visit to HANG SANG shortly after she arrived at Yam-o to discharge; there was a kind of 4 legged platform at the bottom of the gangway to stop boats getting stuck thereunder.

TD stood on the platform loudly asking the world why the ship had a bad port list. (The first logs were going off on the port side). Whilst standing there, the first logs were lowered into the water, and the next ones were lowered over the stbd side, causing said list to reverse, and simultaneously lowering TD waist deep in the water!!

Nice to see all those names in print after so long; Mary was indeed my wife; she passed away in 1999.

Jon
Old 13th August 2015, 07:05

My location
Remember that first log overside at the New Territories - they hardly had to pay back on the derrick runner at all as the ship heeled over and the water came to meet the log !

Happy Days

Mike
Old 13th August 2015, 08:05

Quote:
Remember that first log overside at the New Territories - they hardly had to pay back on the derrick runner at all as the ship heeled over and the water came to meet the log !

Happy Days

Mike
People nowadays would hardly believe some of the H Boat stuff!!

Gordon Ison (HANG SANG) was very tall, and he had an extension built onto his bed so his feet stayed inside! The old WW2 horsehair mattress had a piece sewn on to give continuity.
As I am sure you recall, the "H Class Liners" were full of rats; one such got into Ison's mattress and was causing havoc running around under him; We took my fishing landing net (Made by Alec Bailey, Sparks) and beat the rat out a la beating pheasants. With the rat in the net, Ison charged over to the ships side on the "cocktail deck"and shook the net trying to send the rat for a swim. Having none of this, the rat ran back along the net handle, over Ison's shoulders and back into the bed.
The solution was to dump the whole mattress overboard.
Paddy Richardson was Chief, Harry Dalton was Mate at the time.
Old 13th August 2015, 10:59

My location
'The Cocktail Deck' - more memories ! Sundowners at Bohyan Is. with platefulls of fresh tiger prawns in black pepper sauce along with plain steamed ones, rustled up by the cook. After the Cardiff tramp I had come from, this style of life (Isuppose you could call it work !) was something of dreams !

Mike
Old 13th August 2015, 12:58

Quote:
'The Cocktail Deck' - more memories ! Sundowners at Bohyan Is. with platefulls of fresh tiger prawns in black pepper sauce along with plain steamed ones, rustled up by the cook. After the Cardiff tramp I had come from, this style of life (Isuppose you could call it work !) was something of dreams !

Mike
Not to mention Gin, lime & soda at cargo watch handover time???
Cargo what...?

Jon
Old 13th August 2015, 14:48

My location
Quote:
Not to mention Gin, lime & soda at cargo watch handover time???
Cargo what...?

Jon
But the hardest part of the day was asking the QM to get the dinghy off the boat boom and to the gangway, so you could tootle round the ship and get the draft - ready to fill in the logbook (Along with cargo times supplied by No 2 Compradore ! ) The strenuous part was pulling the cord to start the outboard !

And so it goes on..................hmmm

Mike
Old 13th August 2015, 15:55

Here is another H-boat story. Stormont in London interviewed me 1964 and packed me off on a BOAC Comet jet to HK where GPP looked at my very rumpled UK suit and consigned me to the Hinsang, telling me to get some money from the Company Shroff for some clothes (I said - what is a Shroff?). After 6 months on H-boats I was to be sent to E/Saga but I wanted to stay on Borneo run, loved it! Laurie Cox said he could fix for me to stay. Tony Oliviera 2/E (died years ago now) told me not to be stupid and go go to Aussie run. So I went. Later met the Hinsang mate in HK and he said they very nearly lost the ship on next voyage due overload of logs in typhoon. That Mate went into pilotage in Malaysia East coast, some new port. He had grown up in East - his father had been a Sandakan pilot and H/M. Laurie Cox used to talk of his childhood in Darjeeling India high in the mountains. All fascinating stuff.
Old 13th August 2015, 17:11

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlball View Post
Here is another H-boat story. Stormont in London interviewed me 1964 and packed me off on a BOAC Comet jet to HK where GPP looked at my very rumpled UK suit and consigned me to the Hinsang, telling me to get some money from the Company Shroff for some clothes (I said - what is a Shroff?). After 6 months on H-boats I was to be sent to E/Saga but I wanted to stay on Borneo run, loved it! Laurie Cox said he could fix for me to stay. Tony Oliviera 2/E (died years ago now) told me not to be stupid and go go to Aussie run. So I went. Later met the Hinsang mate in HK and he said they very nearly lost the ship on next voyage due overload of logs in typhoon. That Mate went into pilotage in Malaysia East coast, some new port. He had grown up in East - his father had been a Sandakan pilot and H/M. Laurie Cox used to talk of his childhood in Darjeeling India high in the mountains. All fascinating stuff.
We must have been on consecutive Comets or thereabouts ! I flew out somewhere around 2nd week in July 1964 and joined the Hang Sang on the 17th (Without new suit ?)

By the way, did you ever get those copies of the ICSN newsheets I sent you, Peter ? You have probably told me already, in which case, sorry !

Mike

Last edited by MikeK; 13th August 2015 at 17:15..
Old 14th August 2015, 01:02

Quote:
We must have been on consecutive Comets or thereabouts ! I flew out somewhere around 2nd week in July 1964 and joined the Hang Sang on the 17th (Without new suit ?)

By the way, did you ever get those copies of the ICSN newsheets I sent you, Peter ? You have probably told me already, in which case, sorry !

Mike
Amazing....I had the "Stormont interview" in March 65 and was on the same Comet on 4th April. It was the first of 4 Comets in a convoy taking the Durham Light Infantry to HK, and what a flight (fight?) it was; say no more about that!! The reason that the DLI was going to HK became clear on my first night in the Clover Hotel in Nathan Rd; I awoke around midnight with the room full of tear gas, as a shell from the riots below had lodged in the window frame of the room! I found my way to the roof bar(where else), where a gang of ICSN hands were watching the crowd below turn over busses etc and keeping the bar very much afloat. That was the Star Ferry Riot. I joined the HO a day or so later. (Thinks; I'm going to enjoy this!) Jon