VLCC Alva Star - Ships Nostalgia
19:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

VLCC Alva Star

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 29th August 2006, 18:48
Nova Scotian Nova Scotian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 401
VLCC Alva Star

I am looking for information (pictures, particulars, owners and history) on a VLCC named Alva Star. I have searched the internet without much success at all. I joined this vessel, as 2/0 in January of 1971 in Finnart and payed-off in April when she went to guarantee dry-dock in Lisbon four months later. She was bulit in Sweden (1969/70?) and originally manned by German officers and Philippino crew even though she was registered in London. I was one of a number of Brits that were gradually replacing the German compliment.

Any information on this vessel, and those who sailed on her, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29th August 2006, 19:15
henk maersk henk maersk is offline  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotian
I am looking for information (pictures, particulars, owners and history) on a VLCC named Alva Star. I have searched the internet without much success at all. I joined this vessel, as 2/0 in January of 1971 in Finnart and payed-off in April when she went to guarantee dry-dock in Lisbon four months later. She was bulit in Sweden (1969/70?) and originally manned by German officers and Philippino crew even though she was registered in London. I was one of a number of Brits that were gradually replacing the German compliment.

Any information on this vessel, and those who sailed on her, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I can only help you with particulars:

ALVA STAR Imo:7003518 (G.N.E.C.)
Build 1969 at A/B Götaverken - Göteborg (844) for Alva Steamship Co.Ltd. - London. 1090'3" x 1050'0" x 149'9" x 87'6" x 67'9 1/2" (332,32 x 320,05 x 45,65 x 26,67 x 20,66 m) 113.933 grt; 228.100 dwt. 1 turbo electric steam turbine made Stal-Laval high pressure triple reduction low pressure reduction geared to screw shaft driving 1 fixed propeller; 32.450 bhp; 23.866 kW; 16 knots. 2 generators 1300 kW and 1 generator 1200 kW.14 cargo tanks. In 1980 renamed AL SAUDIA by Amar Line Maritime Co.Ltd. (Shipping Management S.A.M.) - Jeddah. In November 1982 scrapped.

Best regards, Henk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30th August 2006, 01:36
john shaw's Avatar
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
My location
Posts: 942
pictures and details are at the following:

http://supertankers.topcities.com/part-1/id337.htm

regards
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30th August 2006, 12:38
Nova Scotian Nova Scotian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by john shaw
pictures and details are at the following:

http://supertankers.topcities.com/part-1/id337.htm

regards
Hi John:

A great site...thanks for the information.

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30th August 2006, 12:39
Nova Scotian Nova Scotian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk maersk
I can only help you with particulars:

ALVA STAR Imo:7003518 (G.N.E.C.)
Build 1969 at A/B Götaverken - Göteborg (844) for Alva Steamship Co.Ltd. - London. 1090'3" x 1050'0" x 149'9" x 87'6" x 67'9 1/2" (332,32 x 320,05 x 45,65 x 26,67 x 20,66 m) 113.933 grt; 228.100 dwt. 1 turbo electric steam turbine made Stal-Laval high pressure triple reduction low pressure reduction geared to screw shaft driving 1 fixed propeller; 32.450 bhp; 23.866 kW; 16 knots. 2 generators 1300 kW and 1 generator 1200 kW.14 cargo tanks. In 1980 renamed AL SAUDIA by Amar Line Maritime Co.Ltd. (Shipping Management S.A.M.) - Jeddah. In November 1982 scrapped.

Best regards, Henk
Hi Henke:

Just what I was looking for....thanks

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30th July 2015, 19:20
inkerman inkerman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
My Uncle, a Chris Narraway was on Alva Star in 1971 if you knew him
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30th July 2015, 19:40
Nova Scotian Nova Scotian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 401
Alva Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkerman View Post
My Uncle, a Chris Narraway was on Alva Star in 1971 if you knew him
Hi:

I joined Alva Star in early January, 1971, in Finnart, as Second Mate and left in late April when she was in drydock in Lisbon. I don't recall your uncles name. What was his position on board? I remember all the mates were Brits, the engineers were German and British and the crew were Philipinos. The Master was Captain Morgan.

Regards

Peter Dunford
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30th July 2015, 22:54
randcmackenzie randcmackenzie is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
My location
Posts: 1,382
I don't think she was turbo electric - just a standard geared turbine.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:14
inkerman inkerman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2
http://7seasvessels.com/wp-content/u...VASTAR1970.jpg

I may have the year wrong, could have been 1972
my uncle was on board. I have a feeling he was third mate but not 100% sure. I remember visiting the ship somewhere in Scotland around that time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13th February 2017, 15:20
Alron Alron is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova Scotian View Post
I am looking for information (pictures, particulars, owners and history) on a VLCC named Alva Star. I have searched the internet without much success at all. I joined this vessel, as 2/0 in January of 1971 in Finnart and payed-off in April when she went to guarantee dry-dock in Lisbon four months later. She was bulit in Sweden (1969/70?) and originally manned by German officers and Philippino crew even though she was registered in London. I was one of a number of Brits that were gradually replacing the German compliment.

Any information on this vessel, and those who sailed on her, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I was Electrical Officer in Summer 1975, at that stage there were only two germans as officers, everyone else UK. Also still Philipino crew.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
blue star boys t jones Blue Star Line 41 18th November 2018 11:33
Blue Star Line Empire Star paul rennison Say Hello 9 31st December 2015 01:30
Australia Star. Maiden Voyage. Auckland Star. shaun Looking for Old Shipmates 1 9th March 2008 23:01
Sale and orders of VLCC vessels rushie News and Views from the Shipping World 0 28th June 2006 09:37
O&O/White Star Coptic Bruce Carson Historic Shipping lines and Ships 1 2nd May 2006 08:49



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.