Sand Weaver - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
20:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sand Weaver

User Tag List

Old 15th June 2015, 11:19

Sand Weaver still going strong and looking good in Bahrain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150615_052202[1].jpg (89.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 12th July 2015, 21:09

2015-07-12 20.54.43.jpg
Photo of sand weaver i believe found going through dads old photos not sure when it was taken.
Old 12th July 2015, 21:31

2015-07-12 21.28.51.jpg
Dad in middle with workmates.
Old 13th July 2015, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicaidan View Post
Attachment 97714
Photo of sand weaver i believe found going through dads old photos not sure when it was taken.
When and where did the weaver sink ?, didn't know it ever went down.

Just had another look at the picture and think that's my old ship Norstone ex Sand Skua, she sank with her bow on the bottom on the Solent Bank when only a few years old. Was scrapped last year in Swansea.

Last edited by Stevie B; 13th July 2015 at 19:50..
Old 13th July 2015, 21:51

Not sure only assumed it was sand weaver . Dad had mentioned it sinking a few times think once was as it was docking hit a jetty? Assumed photo was other time. Thats why i posted photo. i know he also worked on other sand boats will try and dig out other photos and upload.
Old 21st July 2015, 17:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 2005

Sand Weaver

The Sand Weaver sank in the approach to Dieppe, not sure of the year. I was Mate on the Sand Swift at the time. There was an old cantledge that had been partly removed after the war. The tops of the sheet steel piling had been chopped off but not close to the sea bed. Apparently it was a pretty rough old night on the approach and it was a tad too close and ripped a huge gash in the Pump Room. It was one of those 'turn on the tide' contracts so to get in as early as possible was the name of the game. Unfortunate in that the Sand Wader had done the same thing not long previously.

The photograph might be of the Sand Skua as you so rightly say which sank near Solent Bank after dredging up some live ordnance that exploded in the cargo pump.
Old 21st August 2015, 23:29
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
I recall removing live ordnance from the pump on the Sand Martin off the needles. Got a shout from the Bosun about a lot of noise in the pump room. It was banging and clattering away making a hell of a noise. I shut the engine down (ruston).
Chief got the 4.7 shell out. Chuck it under the focsul! I did without realising it was live. It mysteriously had dissapeared during the night as it had gone the next morning when I went to look at it in the daylight. Had the disposal squad ou to Shoreham harbour once or twice when the crane driver spotted shells in his grab....Happy days ha ha
'