Associated Electrical Industries (AEI) - Ships Nostalgia
22:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Associated Electrical Industries (AEI)

User Tag List

Old 16th May 2016, 16:46

Associated Electrical Industries (AEI)

Hi;
Many years ago my father worked for AEI and at a time when I think the site (formerly Siemens) in Woolwich was closing down 1968/69, he brought home a pair of what were described as 'Ships Telephones'. We used to use these at home but as time moved on they were relegated to the loft for 'storage'. I'm now trying to identify a little more about either them of those like them.
The units are an all metal case with three push buttons, lifting the hand set that hangs in a cradle on the units LH side and pressing one of the buttons 'calls' the relevant 'extension' when they lift their handset both parties can converse. There is a black (silver writing) Manufacturer plate on the front of the units which show there were from AEI Woolwich SE18. On the inside of the front plate (a screw on each corner attaches it the the main body, is a raised area with the code A.1797 (same code on both units). At the base are 6 outlets, of which there are small diameter outlets in each of the two rear corners, one of which has the lead to the handset then four larger outlets across the centre of the case which (I assume) are to take cables to other units on the 'network'. My father passed away many years ago, but I do recall that he, as a draughtsman with AEI, had an involvement with creating some of the technical drawings (blueprints!) as he did with ship telegraphs.
Would appreciate any help if someone out there recognises the description - I do have images but not worked out how / where to post these! (yet!)
Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3013.JPG (80.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3015.JPG (166.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3011.JPG (160.2 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Roger999; 16th May 2016 at 17:10.. Reason: correct a typo & add images
Old 16th May 2016, 17:20
Super Moderator

Roger

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard.

Many thanks for an interesting introduction. Hopefully, someone will be able to help you. Good luck
Old 17th May 2016, 16:43
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Roger and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 17th May 2016, 23:17
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 18th May 2016, 02:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1972

I seem to remember such items .....
1 on the bridge
1 on the poop deck
1 on the foc,sle
from memory the one up forward could be used by the foc,sle lookout at night and before walkie talkies they were used tying up and letting go I,m sure someone will be able to advance on that
nice bit of gear by the way ????
Old 18th May 2016, 08:22

same thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backsplice View Post
I seem to remember such items .....
1 on the bridge
1 on the poop deck
1 on the foc,sle
from memory the one up forward could be used by the foc,sle lookout at night and before walkie talkies they were used tying up and letting go I,m sure someone will be able to advance on that
nice bit of gear by the way ????
As above on tankers, with one, maybe 2 addition, one at the emergency steering position in the steering flat, and one on the conning station on the monkey island. On deck on a tanker the external phone receiver points (Not bridge or steering flat would be/maybe in an explosion proof fitting).
Uses of the phone:
Mooring anchoring, fire tug lines
Aft mooring/ aft fire tug lines
Steering flat-defective steering gear/jury rig,
Bridge- god giving directions,
Monkey island-Thank god some one knows were we are going?
This was in the days off 'DEGAUSSING CABLES', and the cold war.