Sand martin. - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
17:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sand martin.

User Tag List

Old 27th March 2007, 12:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1961 - 1982

My location
Penfolds also had another sand dredger, the 'Pen Yar' which was originally the Hopper 'Laga 2' I think from Holyhead. She was sold to Kendall Brothers of Fareham and called either 'KBYar' or 'KB2'
Old 1st April 2007, 13:00
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
still searching for a decent picture of the "sand martin" anyone got one?
lots of memories tied up in that ship.
Anyone know what became of "Roy Driver" he was Chief on her for a while?
Old 6th April 2007, 20:08

I Remember a Sand Martin about 6 years ago for sale in waterford when I joined the Sand Kite there, the sand Martin was alonside the Kite at the time..
Old 6th April 2007, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter barc View Post
I Remember a Sand Martin about 6 years ago for sale in waterford when I joined the Sand Kite there, the sand Martin was alonside the Kite at the time..

Peter,
Have memories of a vessel being pointed out to me a few years ago in Cork.
Owned by a Wexford farmer who was a bit 'choosy' as to the cargo he would carry.
Hence, alongside more that at sea. Must have been a hobby as the ship was in good condition although around 30 years old. Is this one of the vessels you are talking about.
Old 8th January 2008, 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by william still View Post
Ha ha OLD BENBOW! what a charachter he was, think he sailed on most of the fleet. went ashore in southampton with him once, never again! still owes me a fiver from that venture ...LOL ever meet up with GUS, skipper of the runner in my day. came to the martin for a week to relieve John Campbell. delightful old boy with a very dry sense of humor. had a great week with him aboard.
Hi Billyboy
Just found this site, it's bringing back some memories.
Flash Campbell retired to work on Dover docks as traffic warden, can't remember the date but he was very happy in his new job for a good few years. The Martin was laid up at 69 berth Southampton and as a leaving present Flash asked if he could have the small wheel but unfortunately it had dissappeared before it could be removed for him. It was stripped and scrapped at about the same time.
South coast had a store / workshop at 69 Berth and Gus Smith looked after it when he retired from the sea.
Remember the Jock 2nd eng? He wouldn't let anyone touch the dredge engine - a Crossley built for the Royal Yacht as I remember, with all polished brass and dome nuts.
I was on the Finch for a bit - my 1st chief's job, Ron Bray was OM for a while. Then the Gull and the other 600 tonners before going to the Weaver and Wader. Sue North was on board the Weaver for a week and one night drank Capt Malcolmson under the table. She married Roy Hubbard. Some Girl! as you'll appreciate if you ever knew Reg Malcolmson.
Sandy Shaw left the sea to work in the office but suffered a stroke, He's made a good recovery though.
Dave Sansom was on the Red Funnel to cowes last I heard along with a few other ex South Coast skippers.
Dave Maltby is still with South Coast or Cemex as it is now. Retires next year he hopes.
Meze
Old 8th January 2008, 02:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
Yep, I remember them but for some reason I think there was another one. She could have been a new build at that time. I believe her Skipper was an ex. Shell man called Dave Rose. Maybe my grey cells are all mixed up! I seem to recall her being frequently at Parkeston Anchorage off Harwich.
Hi duquesa
There was the Pen Stour that used to work the River Stour off Parkstone Quay.
Would that be the one?
Meze
Old 8th January 2008, 07:31
Bilge Rat

My location
Hi Meze and welcom to the site. well you certainly brought back a few memories mate. As for flash Campbell, I felt sure he would have gone for the clock from the saloon bulkhead.
He was a great character to sail with. totaly unflappable. he had some weather to contend with in the winter months. he used to wrap himself up and go on the cargo winch to do the pumping. used to come back up cold and wet and tired...yet he never once complained. Ever come across a chief called Roy driver? he was chief on the martin in 1962. nice bloke too!
Old 8th January 2008, 08:08
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Sand Martin

Thanks Meze and welcome to Shipsnostalgia.
The Pen Stour was the one I was trying to remember. Did you know that Skipper I mentioned - David Rose?
Also, I knew Sue North very well but it was prior to her going on the sand boats. She was married to Pete North then. Thanks very much.
Old 9th January 2008, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
Hi Meze and welcom to the site. well you certainly brought back a few memories mate. As for flash Campbell, I felt sure he would have gone for the clock from the saloon bulkhead.
He was a great character to sail with. totaly unflappable. he had some weather to contend with in the winter months. he used to wrap himself up and go on the cargo winch to do the pumping. used to come back up cold and wet and tired...yet he never once complained. Ever come across a chief called Roy driver? he was chief on the martin in 1962. nice bloke too!
Hi Billyboy
The only thing that got Flash in a flap was when he mislaid his scissors. He always trimmed the end of his rollups and put the shreds of tobacco back in his box.
I'm afraid 1962 was well before my time and Roy driver doesn't ring any bells.
Meze
Old 9th January 2008, 23:45

Quote:
Thanks Meze and welcome to Shipsnostalgia.
The Pen Stour was the one I was trying to remember. Did you know that Skipper I mentioned - David Rose?
Also, I knew Sue North very well but it was prior to her going on the sand boats. She was married to Pete North then. Thanks very much.
Evening duquesa
I never worked for Ameys as it was then although I knew a few few from the Yacht but I'm afraid their names are lost in the mists of time.
The nearest to Dave Rose was a Denis Rose I sailed with a couple of times.
I seem to recall Sue and Roy moved towards the west country but I believe he died a few years ago.
Meze
Old 9th January 2008, 23:49
Bilge Rat

My location
Cant remember John Campbell ever smoking. must have done it in his cabin unless smoking was a later day thing for him. Remember his sense of homor though. stood next to him on the bridge wing of the Martin one day when a young lady walked past with a boufont hair do. Flash commented "heed like a crows nest...all shite and sticks"
Old 9th February 2017, 21:29

Quote:
Thanks for that Nelson. I do recall hearing now that she got married to a Chief on one of the dredgers. Took up chicken farming I gather! She was Sue "North" because she had been previously married to a Trinity House Colchester Pilot. She was a plucky girl. Trained by Volvo, she took part on the all female expedition to the Atrato swamp in S.America some years ago. She was their engineer and had to do some very physical work while out there. I hope she is well.
Sue North (now Hubbard) is my mum 😀 She did indeed marry Roy Hubbard, and I was born in 1982. I spent a Christmas aboard the Sand Weaver (I think) as a child. They're both well, still married, and I have three children who love their grandparents very much. I was actually looking online for pictures of my parents old ships to show my 4yr old son, so very funny to see all of this written about my mummy 😂 She can still drink anyone under the table!
Old 10th February 2017, 08:36
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georginabrown View Post
Sue North (now Hubbard) is my mum 😀 She did indeed marry Roy Hubbard, and I was born in 1982. I spent a Christmas aboard the Sand Weaver (I think) as a child. They're both well, still married, and I have three children who love their grandparents very much. I was actually looking online for pictures of my parents old ships to show my 4yr old son, so very funny to see all of this written about my mummy 😂 She can still drink anyone under the table!

I will send you a private message later today Georgina. Very many thanks for getting in touch and I am delighted to hear Sue is well.