Empress Of Scotland Lifeboats? - Ships Nostalgia
12:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Empress Of Scotland Lifeboats?

User Tag List

Old 21st September 2008, 00:01

Empress Of Scotland Lifeboats?

Hi folks,
I'm looking for a little information. On the very few colour photo's that I have seen, the Empress Of Scotland seems to have very dark (near black) lifeboats.

I am a little confuddled by this. Are lifeboats to a safety standard of light/white colour, so as to be spotted easy? I'm probably stating the obvious, but the dark colour of Empress Of Scotland lifeboats seems odd.

Or, is there another straight forward answer?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Lizzie
Old 21st September 2008, 00:39

My location
Probably wooden ones.
They weren't necessarily all painted white. Depends on the age.

Cheers
Kris
Old 21st September 2008, 00:59

Ah! Thank you very much Kris.

Regards
Lizzie
Old 21st September 2008, 10:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999

hi lizzie
seem to remember, when a cadet, scraping and re-varnishing wooden lifeboats in the thistledhu in the fifties

b rgds
Old 21st September 2008, 11:28

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieNo1 View Post
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a little information. On the very few colour photo's that I have seen, the Empress Of Scotland seems to have very dark (near black) lifeboats.

I am a little confuddled by this. Are lifeboats to a safety standard of light/white colour, so as to be spotted easy? I'm probably stating the obvious, but the dark colour of Empress Of Scotland lifeboats seems odd.

Regards
Lizzie
The Lifeboats in The "Empress of Scotland" were "Diagonal Built" in timber , they were varnished and this is why from a distance they do seem black but in fact were brown, as a boy I sailed in her and I was often sent to help the "Lifeboat Deck man" who's job was to continualy maintain the boats in top order, in very cold weather a wooden stick was put into the water tanks to stop freezing and the lids of same left off.

Regards
Peter
Old 21st September 2008, 21:12

Thank you very much gentlemen. Excellent, I appreciate taking up your time in answering my odd question.

Regards
Paul (Lizzie)
Old 26th November 2008, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieNo1 View Post
Hi folks,

Regards
Lizzie
I believe the life boats were varnished wood. I served on the Empress of Scotland, very briefly, in 1958 (I think!!). There is a beautiful model of her in the Museum of Transport in Glasgow. If I could figure out how to post a picture on Ships Nostalgia I would do!!
Old 27th November 2008, 00:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrania02 View Post
I believe the life boats were varnished wood. I served on the Empress of Scotland, very briefly, in 1958 (I think!!). There is a beautiful model of her in the Museum of Transport in Glasgow. If I could figure out how to post a picture on Ships Nostalgia I would do!!
I have, I think, uploaded two pictures of the Empress of Scotland, one of which is under the heading of Lifeboats, don't ask me how I did it, but it is there!!.
Old 27th November 2008, 10:05

Thank you very much lgrania02. I have already made good use of the information provided on this thread. The drawing that I undertook has been completed, and uploaded to SN Maritime Gallery.

Regards
Lizzie