mvsalmela - Ships Nostalgia
19:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

mvsalmela

User Tag List

Old 5th August 2017, 05:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1966 - 1972

mvsalmela

Hi my name is James Cowan I joined the MN through Ts Dolphin November 1965 and joined my first ship February 1966. Did my final voyage on SS Chusan 26/3/1973 it was also the Chusans last voyage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (147.1 KB, 50 views)
Old 5th August 2017, 11:44

Hello and welcome to this site. I was on Salmela maybe2/3 years before you. Captain Jim Rendall and a lot of ex whaling crew all mad as the proverbial . Joined her in Capetown and did eight or nine months before paying off in Bremen and flown home to Turnhouse.
Please enjoy the site. At least one other Salmela ex crewman here.
Old 6th August 2017, 07:23

Hi jg I was acabin boy on the salmela had my 16 Nth birthday on the way to USA joined her in London 16/2/66 .general cargo from EU up the Great Lakes then back to EU with grain paid off in Roterdam 12/9/66 under Captain Baikie.
Old 6th August 2017, 10:13

Hi I am in touch with a crew mate who was on Salmela same time as me. . Also my go ashore ship mate on that trip met an untimely end in Northland New Zealand and is buried at Kaikohe leaving a wife also now deceased and a daughter, now a grown woman with a family of her own who never even knew her father had been at sea.
Old 6th August 2017, 12:46
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsalmela View Post
Hi jg I was acabin boy on the salmela had my 16 Nth birthday on the way to USA joined her in London 16/2/66 .general cargo from EU up the Great Lakes then back to EU with grain paid off in Roterdam 12/9/66 under Captain Baikie.
I was there at the same time and the people ashore in the US ports used to treat us well, specially Cleveland where the chief steward met a very nice lady.
Grain was only part of the cargo as we had loaded KD cars in Detroit and other bits and pieces
Old 6th August 2017, 13:29
Active: 1963 - 1968

Hi James. Welcome to the site. Hope you have many memorable contacts via the site. My name is Alex Hood and I was on Salmela late '63-mid '64. Same route as you via TS Dolphin. Salemela as a great ship, great crew and I had a great time during my 1 trip on her. I remained with Salvesen throughout my time in the MN and sailed on Saldura, Salmela, Saldahna and then finished with the MN after 3 or 4 trips on their Norwegian coasters. I was actually on Salmela with JG Grant, who also replied to your link, but he joined in Capetown after our cook and 2nd cook jumped in New York following a huge fight with the bosun. Long story and too long to repeat here. Funny thing is I thought I recognised a few faces in your Dolphin photo but maybe I came across them on some trips. Anyway, enjoy the site.
Old 7th August 2017, 00:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1972

I think nearly everybody that sailed on a SAL boat enjoyed their time I was on the SALVINA on her last trip in 72 .....most of the crowd had been on other SAL boats previous......a great company Salvesens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salmela-02.jpg (54.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 9th August 2017, 23:49

Hi Alex thank you for your welcome at the moment I am enjoying exploring the site. I can only remember two names from the Dolphin (Tommy Tait & Ian hunts)