shell tankers - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
06:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

shell tankers

User Tag List

Old 3rd August 2008, 11:39

Thanks Keith

Best Regards

Michael
Old 26th August 2008, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesfab4 View Post
Hi again mick, spoke to robbo(paul robinson wigan) tonight and he remembers you and sends his best regards. He is due back on the HUMBER ENERGY running between fawley and cowes 3 times a week.
Hi Again Foz. I've joined RFA ORANGELEAF now. In Portland and will be heading Plymouth way at the beginning of next month. Did Paul have Ginger hair and was his father an Ex seaman? If so i remember him well.
Hope all is well with you. Keep in touch and hope to see you alongside one of our ships one day.
Mick S
Old 29th August 2008, 21:22

Hi mick, robbo is the double of bobby ball (of the cannon and ball days). Ihope to be on the whitchallenger again early next month,she runs to plymouth every 2 weeks(millbay docks) supplying fuel for the brittany ferries, never in for very long though. Hope all is well at your end , dont work too hard.
Old 28th September 2008, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesfab4 View Post
Hi mick, robbo is the double of bobby ball (of the cannon and ball days). Ihope to be on the whitchallenger again early next month,she runs to plymouth every 2 weeks(millbay docks) supplying fuel for the brittany ferries, never in for very long though. Hope all is well at your end , dont work too hard.
Fozzy, i reckon i do know the guy now you say bobby ball, i sailed with him briefly. We go on the buoy at Plymouth sound most weekends, so if you're passing us get on the VHF or whatever and we'll have a chat. Doubt if you get time to get ashore never mind a chance to get a beer?

Do you remember Gary Harrison? He was one of the SSTs in mid eightes? We're good mates, he's Master with Chevron nowadays and has been for years. We had a chat the other week and i' sure you and him sailed together. We mentioned John Scott cos we were with him on the Natacina, and we had a laugh about the slim dusty etc.

Hope all is well buddy

Take care, safe sailing.
Old 16th October 2008, 20:08

Hell, you all make me feel old. Was I the only one sailing with Shell as far back as the fifties? Cheers, Albi
Old 25th October 2008, 18:42

fulmar

any one out there remember the f.s.u on the fulmar field [north sea] breaking free ,on christmas day 1988.we were on stand by ready to go onto the byrel a .platform to load.when in the distance the f.s.u passed us going south.[may be looking for warmer climates.] i am sure there must be some old north sea tigers ,remember.sure it was a converted shell job.?
Old 25th October 2008, 22:06

I was on the pomella in 81 saw the lanistes in hamburg we were running to klipeda through the kiel canal ,also I was on the achatina same year I always seemed to get the rust buckets. my bro inlaw was on the lanistes about same time as you his name was richard tolley he was a steward.
Old 26th October 2008, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucker View Post
any one out there remember the f.s.u on the fulmar field [north sea] breaking free ,on christmas day 1988.we were on stand by ready to go onto the byrel a .platform to load.when in the distance the f.s.u passed us going south.[may be looking for warmer climates.] i am sure there must be some old north sea tigers ,remember.sure it was a converted shell job.?
Don't remember that but I remember being on the Serenia when we had an "emergency" departure from the Brent Spar due to really sudden, severe weather.

Don't know the full ins and outs of the technical details, but with the engine running astern for long periods she couldn't safely go to full ahead power straight away, so when we left the Spar we "drifted" into areas within the Brent Field we were not really supposed to be and it was a bit worrying for a wee while until ahead power fully available
Old 29th October 2008, 00:13

My location
Quote:
i am sure there must be some old north sea tigers ,remember.sure it was a converted shell job.?

She was the Medora.

I was a Mech. Tech with Shell back then, working in the Brent field. Didn't take Shell long to get a temporary rig on the Fulmar to keep the oil flowing!

I had some interesting times at the loading buoy on the Kittiwake. Once when the Norissia got rather a lot of the sea in the engine room. I went aboard at Methil as one of the inquiry team. The night before at the hotel I met up with the BOT man, and he told me his office contact had filled him in on some details, describing the incident as a 'First trip junior FU' IMHO he wasn't far wrong.
The other bit of fun was when the Esso Fife took off with the loading buoy still attached by the hose, which had failed to release when, due to a fault, the engine went to it's 'fail safe ' mode of 75% ahead. The angle the buoy was pulled over to before the hose parted was very spectacular.
Could have been very serious though, as we made regular visits to the buoy to do maintenance.
Having been in the engine room with Texaco, I felt really sorry for the Norrissia engineers at the inquiry. They made an elementary, (serious) error and suffered the consequences.
Old 4th November 2008, 05:05

Batillus

> Great Picture, Thanks Dave ! Slightly different from the one I had, but obviously one from the same sequence.

Thank you Chas for sighting that pic of Batillus. I don't think I've ever seen one of the B's pictured before. When they were moving at service speed their momentum must have been simply colossal. And I presume they only had a single screw? Were there any ports or jetties where they could actually come alongside?

Mike
Old 4th November 2008, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefoster View Post
And I presume they only had a single screw? Were there any ports or jetties where they could actually come alongside?

Mike
Twin Screw, Twin Rudders and I think the "B's" could go alongside at D'Antifer (off Le Havre)
http://www.marine-marchande.net/Jour...us8_reduit.jpg
Old 4th November 2008, 14:11

The B's could go alongside at the sea islands in Mena al Ahmadi, Ras Tanurrah, and Kharg Island in the Gulf. They also could go alongside after lightering at Europort.

" For those in peril of the sea ......."
Old 8th November 2008, 00:02

anyone remember the Hanetia i was on her in 58 went round the World on her we were away for 11mts would have been longer but something happend & we went to Rotterdam for drydock then Falmouth decided to pay off.we carried aviation fuel if i remember right,the tanks were a bugger to clean but we used to get a tot of rum after each tank we cleaned. had a lot of fun on her anyone out there on her then?
Old 8th November 2008, 10:35

I stood by completion of Hanetia at Smiths South bank then sailed on her as Fifth Engineer from 11/10/57 to 27/08/58 . Did the trip you mentioned with Capt Thomson and enjoyed every minute. Regards.
Old 18th November 2008, 13:07

Joined the Liparus in Sept 81 @ D'Antifer as first trip engineer apprentice.
Caught the cross channel ferry dover - Le Havre with the Roy Potter (C/E), Tim McKie (3/E) and Simon Wells (4/E).
First night on board was spent in a lifeboat catching fuel oil as a french tug missed the stringer and put a wacking hole in the stbd FO tank, which was later repaired during a suez transit.
Had a change of master after about 4 months and we ended up with "Mad McDermott" on his retirement voyage with his alcoholic wife- spending the night before Xmas eve in the Saudi holding anchorage had her seeing pink rabbits coming up the flying bridge!
Old 18th November 2008, 13:19

Did any of you ex Shell men sail with the Moore Twins, they were both engineers, one of their names was Jerry the other one I am not sure of.

Regards Robert
Old 18th November 2008, 16:03
Just a Injun

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp1 View Post
Joined the Liparus in Sept 81 @ D'Antifer as first trip engineer apprentice.
Caught the cross channel ferry dover - Le Havre with the Roy Potter (C/E), Tim McKie (3/E) and Simon Wells (4/E).
First night on board was spent in a lifeboat catching fuel oil as a french tug missed the stringer and put a wacking hole in the stbd FO tank, which was later repaired during a suez transit.
Had a change of master after about 4 months and we ended up with "Mad McDermott" on his retirement voyage with his alcoholic wife- spending the night before Xmas eve in the Saudi holding anchorage had her seeing pink rabbits coming up the flying bridge!
Sailed with this good lady on the Hemitrocus, she made a mean home brew in the hospital bath/
Old 18th November 2008, 16:18
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1964 - 2001

Hi Andyp1

Remember Captain Tom McDermott and his wife Edie.
I had them on the Hyala up at Stanlow.
He was easy to get on with, but his wife fed herself on the Gin bottle and
spent much of her time getting drunk.

Regards
Keith
Old 19th November 2008, 14:09

Don't think she was sober in the 4 months !
Mac was on a mission due it being his retirement trip.
Midnight curry sessions every night for the engineers due to UMS
Ordered 5 gallon demi-johns of wine from Cape Town for serving to all at lunchtime!
The XMAS eve job was a close call as we got orders to move @ 12:00 hrs on 24 Dec, Mac had put the engine room on 2 hrs standby @ 00:00 hrs as he wanted a quick getaway- well as quick as an Odense @ 'L' boat would !
Finally paid off after 6 months by helicopter @ razzle dazzle & home via the red lion @ dubai
Old 19th November 2008, 15:46

Andyp1

Interested to hear about your time on Liparus and some of the things they got up to there.
Tom McDermott was in his early seventies when he passed on, lived in Shiptonthorpe, Yorkshire. He used to send a Christmas Card to me until I heard from his missus of his death.

Regards
Keith
Old 20th November 2008, 09:37

Keith,

I guess "Mac" was what you would call a character, apparently worked his way up from deck boy to master. Had a fixation with winding up 2/E with constant references to "goatskin" jockstraps with velcro, to the extent that 2/E was referred to as "goatskins" in the minutes of the meetings for the management team!
His wife could be an absolute nightmare though,the chief designated the us 2 eng cadets to help her up after sunday lunch - there we where trying our best to drag a semi comatose "pensioner", at least 2 bottles of gin to the good, out from underneath a settee with a touch of dignity
6 months on an L boat for a first trip was a real experience, acted as a lightening vessel to battillus, and seemed to spend forever rolling pipework & re-setting valves in the bottom of cargo tanks. Good bit was working with the chief and super ( Willie Carle?) getting the FO tank ready for a patch to be welded in after the tug hit us in D'antifer - got collared to drive the deck crane to lift the kit on board for the egyptian welder in the Bitter Lakes.
Would even go as far to say "I would do it all over again"
Old 20th November 2008, 11:44

Andy

Quite some experiences you had ,the Superintendent could have been Willie Milne, a real scot!
I often think of all the experiences I had as a shipping agent over 30 years and agree I would do it all again.
The days were tough, the same as you but must say I enjoyed it all despite
visiting ships at unearthly hours in all weathers!

Best Wishes
Keith
Old 10th June 2009, 18:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

Can anyone please supply me with a detailed list of Shell/Anglo Saxon Tankers lost in WWII or refer me to a book which has one?

Last edited by IAN M; 10th June 2009 at 18:25.. Reason: slight mistakes
Old 11th June 2009, 06:40
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Smile Medora walkabout

Quote:
any one out there remember the f.s.u on the Fulmar field [north sea] breaking free ,on Christmas day 1988.we were on stand by ready to go onto the beryl a .platform to load.when in the distance the f.s.u passed us going south.[may be looking for warmer climates.] i am sure there must be some old north sea tigers ,remember.sure it was a converted shell job.?
I remember it well, as I was in the bath at my holiday bungalow when I heard. It was about 15.00 local North Sea Time on Christmas Eve, when she got loose. I had just driven from Nordhorn in Germany with four of my men that I'd picked up so that they could get home for the holidays. Getting back in the bath, it was my MiL's birthday and I was trying to wake up to get to the party; when one of Shell's agents told me that Medora was headed for Rotterdam. The repair was eventually carried out at Verolme's yard in Rotterdam. I was quite interested, as I had made and tested the original ballasting valves for the SPAR when she was built at Wilton's. The OM on board wasn't very happy, as he had NO steering or manoeuvring capabilities, just a bloody big sea anchor on his bow!
Old 29th July 2009, 10:29
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Cool "L" boat valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp1 View Post
Keith,

6 months on an L boat for a first trip was a real experience, acted as a lightening vessel to battillus, and seemed to spend forever rolling pipework & re-setting valves in the bottom of cargo tanks. Good bit was working with the chief and super ( Willie Carle?) getting the FO tank ready for a patch to be welded in after the tug hit us in D'antifer - got collared to drive the deck crane to lift the kit on board for the egyptian welder in the Bitter Lakes.
Would even go as far to say "I would do it all over again"
Hello Andy, I was the guy who was repairing the cargo valves, then sending them back to the ships ready to fit. I know, it was a rough job, but it was better than loading four parcels of crude and then discharging one parcel. Liparus was the first to show up the problem The super at that time in 1976 was Allan Robinson, but the super at your time was Willie Carle, both good blokes. The lightening job on Battilus made Liparus the biggest lighter in the world, Battilus then became the biggest coaster in the world by bringing approx 450000M of crude from 'Antifer to Rotterdam.

Kieth; Willie Milne aka PD, had retired just as the valve problem started or at least shortly afterwards.