Did anyone keep their log books? - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
05:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Did anyone keep their log books?

User Tag List

Old 23rd July 2018, 00:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1980 - 1991

In Oz in the 80s, I never had a radio surveyor look at my Part 2 log (the radio log).

They would look at the Part 1 (batteries) though.

Once GMDSS came in, the radio surveyors would look at radio logs, just to ensure that the requisite checks were carried out. It was common to see no entries at all.... ;-)

In retrospect, where the GMDSS fell over was in trying to make R/Os of Deck Officers...

Good old ITU/IMO...firmly ensconced in lala land.
Old 23rd July 2018, 11:29
Active: 1957 - 1967

I was notified of a complaint about the standard of my logbook following a voyage.
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:06

#44 ..Point taken and my apols if I cast any aspersions on the Chief in question but its the first time I've heard of such a practice always assuming end of voyage radio log books were handed in completely in tact.
I'd also like to quantify my source on IoWT radio log inspection was a Ship Inspector I knew personally not that this onerous task was performed by his department.
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:16
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccarton View Post
I was notified of a complaint about the standard of my logbook following a voyage.
Can you remember where the complaint originated and how you received it?

I did receive 2 complaints over the years but about over-calling on HF with my trusty Oceanspan I. They both came from a Canadian monitoring station when I was trying to contact GKA, one from Venezuela and the other, some years later, also from the Western Caribbean. Seems like I was a slow learner.

They came to me via MIMCo, who was my employer and the authority responsible for the ships' radio stations, to whom they had been addressed.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 23rd July 2018, 13:54

Nobody's perfect RS but like all violation of radio regs etc I get the impression thru which such things were channelled was manned by old retired RO's who would string you up by the testicles if you got a dot wrong and the most sadistic were those that had never been to sea...
Believe me I've had the misfortune of witnessing a Coast Station officer on his knees and wringing his hands for mercy because he had lost a SLT ...
Old 23rd July 2018, 14:00

Nobody's perfect RS but like all radio reg violation etc I get the vision thru which such misdemeanors were channeled being manned by old/retired RO's who would string one up by the sphericals if you missed a dot....
Believe me I've worked with a Coast Station officer known to have begged for mercy because he lost a SLT ...

Last edited by R651400; 23rd July 2018 at 18:19.. Reason: Syntax
Old 23rd July 2018, 15:44

how did you manage to bypass the Korean crap thats filling up the forums ????
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:28

Try putting "Kempeitai" in your thread header.
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:45

#50 .. Suggest putting "Kempeitai" in your thread header.
Old 24th July 2018, 05:42
Active: 1958 - 1995

radio log

[QUOTE=Troppo2;2915986]Remember how you were supposed to send your logs in at the change of articles?

Did anyone "forget" and keep some?

I was very annoyed to find out that (in Australia, at least) radio log books were kept for a short while by the Dept of Transport and then burned...

I have blank Part 1 and 2 logs (souvenired when my ship converted to GMDSS), but it would have been

Maybe of some interest a copy of my very last Radio Log Pt 1 entry which happened to coincide with Xmas day. Gmdss already operating (hence lack of sigs on 500) but I milked the old system
of 500 watch keeping longer than necessary, the only alternative being helping the lecky changing light bulbs etc., excuse the blunt
language on the attachment but didn't take too kindly to the new
system of communicating after more than 30 odd years of CW.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf radio log.pdf (3.73 MB, 100 views)
Old 24th July 2018, 08:39

[quote=Ray Garrard;2920069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo2 View Post
Remember how you were supposed to send your logs in at the change of articles?

Did anyone "forget" and keep some?

I was very annoyed to find out that (in Australia, at least) radio log books were kept for a short while by the Dept of Transport and then burned...

I have blank Part 1 and 2 logs (souvenired when my ship converted to GMDSS), but it would have been

Maybe of some interest a copy of my very last Radio Log Pt 1 entry which happened to coincide with Xmas day. Gmdss already operating (hence lack of sigs on 500) but I milked the old system
of 500 watch keeping longer than necessary, the only alternative being helping the lecky changing light bulbs etc., excuse the blunt
language on the attachment but didn't take too kindly to the new
system of communicating after more than 30 odd years of CW.
Ha! Loved it.

Chitral....that's a famous ship name...
Old 24th July 2018, 09:10

Chitral indeed.. No wonder our past metier went GMDSS pear-shaped with pundits not capable today to work out SN quotes!
Old 24th July 2018, 09:38

Chitral indeed well recorded for ship-nut enthusiasts..
Begs the question of GMDSS capability why its not possible to hold down a simple SN quote for post clarity?
Old 24th July 2018, 14:04
Active: 1957 - 1967

From memory Ron, the complaint came through the Brocks Radio Superintendents following a voyage from West Africa that paid off in Avonmouth.
It referred to the general standard of entry and the standard statement written at the end of each day which I think referred to checking emergency gear.
Old 24th July 2018, 19:22
Active: 1963 - 1995

The WT and RT Logs at Coast Stations were kept locally for a stated period - can't remember how long - when the Handyman was then given the ultimate security task of cremation in a specially prepared dustbin.

I think those recording incidents were typed up as log extracts and kept for a longer period along with the traffic generated. I don't remember any requests for a sight of the originals which then suffered the same fate.

David
+
Old 25th July 2018, 00:31
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

On Tilapa I remember the federal sea scouts boarding and inspecting my log. There had been a distress on R/T (Which I had noted from a W/T Safety broadcast - If I remember correctly no R/T safety traffic if an traffic at all. They went away satisfied..
Old 27th July 2018, 00:29

Talking of over calling, a friend got a "bluey" from the Japanese monitoring service for that heinous sin.

Unfortunately, it was sent to the Old Man, who had it framed and presented it to my mate in a special ceremony in the smokeroom....

It was then mounted on the radio room wall...
Old 28th August 2018, 04:48

I am looking for the passenger lists for 1961 and 1962 Empress of Britain and The Empress of Canada.
I sailed on both and am writing a novel and need copies of these Also if anyone has good pics of these two ships would appreciate pics also. Please email me at [email protected]
Thanks Kindly
Old 28th August 2018, 09:44

Well, you won't find them in this thread, that's for sure...
Old 28th August 2018, 12:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
Talking of over calling, a friend got a "bluey" from the Japanese monitoring service for that heinous sin.

Unfortunately, it was sent to the Old Man, who had it framed and presented it to my mate in a special ceremony in the smokeroom....

It was then mounted on the radio room wall...
I got one from useless Monsanto Radio, Portugal (Gentle Breezes) - can't remember if it was for over calling or transmitting 1 second inside the silence period. I made a reciprocal complaint about them not answering calls.

John T
Old 29th August 2018, 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
I got one from useless Monsanto Radio, Portugal (Gentle Breezes) - can't remember if it was for over calling or transmitting 1 second inside the silence period. I made a reciprocal complaint about them not answering calls.

John T
Ha!
Old 9th September 2018, 15:27
Active: 1975 - 1985

Speaking of Captains, last ship was Italian chemical tanker trading from Italy to Brasil, stopping in Cape Verde for fuel. I arrive in radio room at 8am, pull open the draw for log book, bottle of whisky left by the Captain who soon joined me and so it went.. the rest is predictable in life that is. Very easy going the Italians, if the ship broke down mid trip the fishing rods were out before anyone went to the engine room. Marvelous trip.. lovely people the south Italians. Hugh
Old 12th September 2018, 03:27
Active: 1964 - 1969

Quote:
I am looking for the passenger lists for 1961 and 1962 Empress of Britain and The Empress of Canada.
Sorry, I was on the "Empress of England" April to August 1965 and those two ships had been sold to Niarchos by then. I would suggest making another request of the Pursers or whatever they called the passenger manager, ISTR "Staff Captain" looked after the punters and "Ship Captain" was the real Captain - my logbook says "Aikman" but it's a very splodgy rubber stamp - very nice guy he was too, came round at the start of each trip from L'pool to meet any new guys and chat to the old ones - then on return after docking to say thanks to those leaving - he was fairly well away by the time we disembarked - had a tot from everybody by then....

Last edited by majoco; 12th September 2018 at 03:30..