The oldest ship still in service - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
18:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The oldest ship still in service

User Tag List

Old 21st October 2015, 22:19

Two little vessels still in 'steam'.... at Rotterdam... DOCKYARD V and DOCKYARD IX. Good footage on Your Tube. Makes you wish you were a Chief Engineer... even just a Donkeyman!
Old 30th October 2015, 18:55
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1972 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by reklaw View Post
Don't forget the venerable Doulos, she was also built yonks ago.... 1914 if I remember correctly, she is still afloat believe it or not.
http://www.mvdoulos.org
Seemingly she is still afloat.
She has been renamed "Doulos Phos" by the new owner BizNaz Resources International Pte Ltd and is currently undergoing refiting to become an hotel in Bintan island (Indonesia).
She has undergo regular passenger service up to 1977 (age 63 years)
Piero
Old 17th February 2018, 00:53

MV Kyles? A coaster, built 1872, now an exhibit at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine. Not working, but still floating and well worth a visit if you're up that way!
Old 13th April 2018, 11:49

My location
The day after my sister had advised she was off to cruise the Norwegian coast I spotted this wee cruise ship in Greenock.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Astoria

Now living in Helensburgh I'd seen her berthed there frequently but decided to look up up her itinerary in case it was the vessel my sister was joining. It wasn't, but the ships amazing story brought back memories that I think added to my curiosity about going to sea.
I was 12 at the time of the collision and remember the massive press coverage, on a par with the Coasta Concordia incident.

The loss of the Andrea Doria seemed to capture the moment. Described as possibly the most beautifully proportioned ship of her era.
Old 13th April 2018, 12:20

The "Severn Seas" has been doing survey and diving work on the wreck of the "Nancy Glen" off Tarbert, Loch Fyne. Built in 1947 and is working with a very old crane barge and seen together here.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...hp?lid=1845513
Old 7th October 2018, 20:59

Does anybody know what happened to the Balmoral, I remember as a floating restaurant in Dundee harbour, but I know she was taken back to sea service again.
Also no idea when she was built
Old 7th October 2018, 22:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - Present

PS Waverley, built 1947 and still fully seagoing, only paddlesteamer in the world that can go to sea. Triple expansion 2100 horsepower. Will have finished season today on thames and heading round channel to weymouth tomorrow, then round lands end and up irish sea back to Clyde. Shieldhall is brilliant twin screw upright triple expansion, but smaller and slower! Great for day out from Southampton though.
Dannic.
Old 7th October 2018, 22:37

Old Ships

The MV Doulos is the world’s oldest active ocean-faring passenger ship since 1914. She is now owned by the German charity Gute Bücher für Alle (Good Books for All), and is used as a floating bookshop.

Visited her in Port Swettenham some years back amazing old girl

Succour
Old 8th October 2018, 00:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE CAPE CRUSADER View Post
The MV Cape Rodney a Cardiff class geared bulker built in Glasgow 1976 is still going strong under the guise of the CHL Innovator some 34 years later.
I believe she was still on the go early last year under that name and converted to a suger beet carrier...i do have a photo of her converted. I did maiden voyage on her and it was also my first trip to sea.
Old 8th October 2018, 01:16
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie burgess View Post
I believe she was still on the go early last year under that name and converted to a suger beet carrier...i do have a photo of her converted. I did maiden voyage on her and it was also my first trip to sea.
Checked on Marine Traffic and she's still at sea and in Tripoli at the moment.
Old 8th October 2018, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succour View Post
The MV Doulos is the world’s oldest active ocean-faring passenger ship since 1914. She is now owned by the German charity Gute Bücher für Alle (Good Books for All), and is used as a floating bookshop.

Visited her in Port Swettenham some years back amazing old girl

Succour

DOULOS is now a fully restored luxury hotel in Bintan, Indonesia. The ship was dragged off the beach and not even afloat any more! Must be careful the next Tsunami... might find her afloat again! The enginerrom is still intact and the hotels has a small maritime museum. Sheraton are the operators.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled doulos.jpg (8.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg doulos hotel.jpg (5.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 8th October 2018, 09:09

oldest ship I joined was built in 1914, joined her in 1951, coal fired, cold water taps only (not funny in the Arctic Circle!), hot water gained by taking a bucket down the engineroom and bleeding steam from a genny. Cook would not allow buckets on his range. She went on for a few more years after I left her...…..happy days...……..definitely not!!…...but did make subsequent ships seem luxurious, next one was built in 1936 and with hot water taps, became a softie!
Old 8th October 2018, 15:38
Active: 1968 - 2009

The oldest vessel I sailed on as 2/E and is still in service to this day. Is the luxury steam yacht S.S Delphine built in 1921. She is now based in Monaco and still has her original 2 x Quadruple expansion steam engines ! Certainly a joy to see them running
Old 8th October 2018, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
The oldest vessel I sailed on as 2/E and is still in service to this day. Is the luxury steam yacht S.S Delphine built in 1921. She is now based in Monaco and still has her original 2 x Quadruple expansion steam engines ! Certainly a joy to see them running
I went on board in Bermuda, I guess 1995, when she had left the USA and was headed Gibraltar. A real mess! Total neglected for so many years. All she needed was some $$$ & £££ and the wisdom to see the bright future for her.

Went below to the 'machines'. Beautiful! A bit of confusion seeing the boilers aft of the engineroom!

Question. Were the boilers replaced in the big refit?

Oldest vessel I have had the enjoyment to know and play with was the Day Line's CHAUNCEY M DEPEW, built 1913. From 1949 to 1968 she was a harbour tender for passenger ships anchoring at Bermuda. 185 ft. 18 knots... 1,200 passengers!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2623020 chauncey m. depew.jpg (235.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg CHAUNCEY M DEPEW WITH southern cross.jpg (109.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 8th October 2018 at 16:19..
Old 8th October 2018, 16:52
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1960 - 1976

Eldest ship I sailed as coal passer in 1960 was the built in 1911 Edmund W. Mudge. Telescoping hatch covers, two, three furnaces, hand fired, coal burning Scotch Marine boilers, 1,750 HP Triple Expansion ME.

I was on the 8-12 watch and around 0900 done in the fire hold I went topside to above the galley and oiled the sleeve bearing galley exhaust fan. Then I took a walk forward to oil the little two-cylinder horizontal steam reciprocating fresh water pump. Each watch, six times a day, the coal passers oiled these two original equipment machines.

The vessel was mostly original equipment. We three coal passers and six firemen lived in one cabin. We slept by watches, three bunks high, with the coal passer on the bottom. There was a cold water sink with a medicine cabinet with mirror and a light above it. We nine shared the adjoining head with one toilet and a hot water shower, with the three oilers who lived next door.

Our cabin opened to the outside open decks, via an oak screen door with a retro-fitted out-swinging steel water-tight door that replaced the original wooden door.

Attached: EdmundWMudge1911-E.jpg (62.6 KB)

Greg Hayden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EdmundWMudge1911-E.jpg (62.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 8th October 2018, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
I went on board in Bermuda, I guess 1995, when she had left the USA and was headed Gibraltar. A real mess! Total neglected for so many years. All she needed was some $$$ & £££ and the wisdom to see the bright future for her.

Went below to the 'machines'. Beautiful! A bit of confusion seeing the boilers aft of the engineroom!

Question. Were the boilers replaced in the big refit?

Oldest vessel I have had the enjoyment to know and play with was the Day Line's CHAUNCEY M DEPEW, built 1913. From 1949 to 1968 she was a harbour tender for passenger ships anchoring at Bermuda. 185 ft. 18 knots... 1,200 passengers!!!!
Hi Stephen

Yes her boilers had been replaced. One small vertical watertube boiler and one larger conventional watertube boiler as her main supply for steaming. Unfortunately there was a problem with the fuelling system as the couldn't transfer fuel for the two Deutz diesel generators (also new) and keep the boiler steaming at the same time ! This was resolved by splitting the suction manifold between port and starboard sides ! All the other steam plant was still original and fully restored

Regards

Steve
Old 8th October 2018, 17:12

As she is now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg delphine in dock.jpg (102.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg delphine.jpg (40.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg delphine1.jpg (97.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg delphine-engine2.jpg (77.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg engine-room---pistons.jpg (135.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 8th October 2018, 17:33

Many thanks. Great photos. I guess the ER telegraphs were painted red and green so that you got forgot which was which... and the boilers were aft.

Thanks for the info re the boiler. These new boilers, can you buy them from 'suppliers' or did they design and build especially for DELPHINE?

Stephen
Old 8th October 2018, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Many thanks. Great photos. I guess the ER telegraphs were painted red and green so that you got forgot which was which... and the boilers were aft.

Thanks for the info re the boiler. These new boilers, can you buy them from 'suppliers' or did they design and build especially for DELPHINE?

Stephen
Not quite sure as they had been fitted before I arrived. The vertical boiler I think would have been quite straightforward to fit and would have been standard. The other boiler though must have been modified or a special order to fit Delphine's unique design

Regards

Steve
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:50

Oldest ship in Service

probably the wooden Paddle Steamer ADELAIDE takes the cake.
She was built in 1866 and still operates from Echuca on The River Murray in Victoria. 152/153 years old.
Regards
Alan Maggs
Old 4th February 2019, 08:31

Gents of a certain age, do you still take a walk down to the local river bank, and watch the local passenger boats go bye?
On the Thames both in and above the tidal reaches are a few 'OLD LADIES' plying their trade!
One of the registered companies was 'Salter Brothers of Oxford', who not only 'plyed the trade, but in bygone years, built many of the 'beauties'!