Remembering past shipmates - Ships Nostalgia
12:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Remembering past shipmates

User Tag List

Old 14th August 2018, 12:16

Remembering past shipmates

Does any of you fellow Benline remember my father Alexander McKinnon ,he was a Chief Officer ,and was with the Merchant Navy for 40yrs . He sailed the Far East trips mainly. He was with the Ben vrackie, Benvorlich,Bencruachan and many more in his time, he would have been 97 this November had he still been with us.mum and l had many a visit on the Ben,s too,they were happy days.
Old 14th August 2018, 22:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
I sailed with him on Benvrackie many years ago. I think sometime in the early 1960s
Old 15th August 2018, 20:08

Yes my Dad's bark was worse than his bite ,he had been torpedoed 3 times during WW2 and survived for many days on a lifeboat ,like the rest of the young men aboard he didn't think they would survive, but he didn't speak much about the experience although it was in the local telegraph ,they were missing presumed dead, l have found bits and pieces up in the loft and try to piece it all together ,he was a good father but passed away in 1997 aged 76.
Old 18th September 2018, 21:13

Sailed with him on the Bendearg late 60s, great chief .
Old 19th September 2018, 12:36

Yes he was a good Dad ,but stood no nonsense ! Liked a wee tipple ,mum and him had a good few years retirement together before he passed luckily enough!
Old 11th October 2018, 22:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 2005

My location
Looking for Malcolm Simpson a Mate on the containerships back in the 1970's. He was ex BP Tankers and a very good friend of mine.

be good if anyone knows of him to contact me

David Barnes in Westport NZ