Keith Nicholls - ex Elder's Purser - Ships Nostalgia
20:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Keith Nicholls - ex Elder's Purser

User Tag List

Old 6th January 2019, 19:58

Keith Nicholls - ex Elder's Purser

Hi, I'm Keith (web name keith6646) Dis A R810312

Went to sea with Elders as Cadet Purser in '64 and left five years later to become a Cargo Superintendent with OCL.

Sailed on Forcados, Apapa, coasted Fourah Bay, Kaduna, coasted Patani, Aureol, Dumbaia and finished up with another eight months on the Aureol - a graceful old lady.

Came ashore at the back end of '69 straight into OCL as a Cargo Super in Leeds, working with Don Cadman. Subsequently moved to Avonmouth, then Southampton and finished as Ops Manager in Birmingham. Then jumped ship as did not want 3-5 years in HO London and moved into hazardous tank containers trading from North East to Continent for a couple of years, then onto General Management in Haulage. Finished up as Logistics Manager in a couple of Printing Companies. Now thankfully retired to the peace and quiet of rural Shropshire.

Have seen a couple of names on the forums I know - sailed with Bev Summerill on either the Kaduna or Dumbaia (memory is a bit faded) and seem to recognize a couple of names from my mailboat days.

Anyway, a Happy and Prosperous New Year to all and Ill swap anecdotes later.
Old 6th January 2019, 23:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - Present

Hi Keith, Welcome to SN. I didn't sail with you of course as i only went to sea in 1976 but i joined OCL in 1977 and was there until 1998...saw a lot of changes over the years there i must say but it was a great Company in the early years. I took voluntary redundancy reluctantly and have been on local ferries up in the Orkney's since. Happy and Prosperous New Year to you too and a long enjoyable retirement.
Old 7th January 2019, 20:23

My location
Welcome, Keith. I went to sea in my brother-in-law's discarded ED uniform but with Brocklebank braid sown on. After a few years as sparks, I went into TV studios. I'm near Whitby, N Yorks - but Shropshire is a lovely county.