Use of Morse by police - Ships Nostalgia
16:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Use of Morse by police

User Tag List

Old 10th March 2019, 21:31

Use of Morse by police

I've seen snippets about how in the 1920s ex RN telegraphists were employed by some police forces to operate radios in patrol cars. Does anyone know about this? Are there refs in books or magazines? Wonder how long it continued ... when did RT take over?

Did police in the UK use CW point to point? I know the French gendarmerie did. There was also a big Interpol net (around 5 mc/s CW) in the 1960s and perhaps later. Presumably there was a UK radio station operated by the police.

I read in a book about Bletchley that one of the Y stations was a Met Police unit at Denmark Hill. From what I remember, this police intercept unit was already in existence before WW2. You'd think that radio intercept would have been a matter for the armed forces even in peacetime. Does anyone know anything about this outfit at Denmark Hill?

W
Old 10th March 2019, 22:18

My location
Mentioned in National Archives:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C2228189

Brian
Old 11th March 2019, 02:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldspan View Post
I've seen snippets about how in the 1920s ex RN telegraphists were employed by some police forces to operate radios in patrol cars. Does anyone know about this? Are there refs in books or magazines? Wonder how long it continued ... when did RT take over?

Did police in the UK use CW point to point? I know the French gendarmerie did. There was also a big Interpol net (around 5 mc/s CW) in the 1960s and perhaps later. Presumably there was a UK radio station operated by the police.

I read in a book about Bletchley that one of the Y stations was a Met Police unit at Denmark Hill. From what I remember, this police intercept unit was already in existence before WW2. You'd think that radio intercept would have been a matter for the armed forces even in peacetime. Does anyone know anything about this outfit at Denmark Hill?

W
It was set up by Harold Kenworthy, who had worked on radio direction finding during the first WW and who later went on to run the large Tunny intercept "Y" station and F.O.R.D.E. at Ivy farm at Knockholt Pound where Knockholt Bowling club is today.

Originally he was on loan from Marconi to the Met to investigate how radio might help the police, but he was later transfered to the Foreign Office when they took over most of the Y function to supply GC&CS which was about to start its 1938 move up to Bletchley.

The Police were mainly interested in Communist cells during the general strike but tried to get the Foreign Office to take over the intercept function.

The old Police Nursing home building still exists at Grove Park Denmark Hill and the grounds were the station was set up still have a BT site & mast visible from the Railway.

There is something about it in Paul Gannon's book "Colossus: Bletchley Park's Greatest Secret"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Colossus-Bl...s=books&sr=1-1
Old 11th March 2019, 09:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
The MNAOA Telegraph often carried recruitment advertisements, in the early 70s, for Radio Officers to work for the Met Police in London.

Old 11th March 2019, 11:23

About 1958 when I was learning Morse I used to take down Interpol messages within the 3.5 to 3.8 mc/s band. The messages were between European countries and I recall there was a lot of mediocre quality Morse, some sent on bug keys. It was usually in plain language.
73, Andrew
Old 11th March 2019, 17:11

I cannot comment about the early days of radio for the Metropolitan Police Service. However the county police forces in England and Wales were supported by a Home Office Department called the Directorate of Telecommunications (DTels). A brief explanation about county Force radio can be found here https://www.dtels.org/html/history_overview.html . For those with time to spare, a perusal of the remainder of the site is well worth the effort.

Regards

John
Old 14th March 2019, 12:08
Active: 1951 - 1962

My Father ex-R.N. telegraphist was in the Police force in this role attached to the R.U.C. on the Fermanagh N.I./ Irish Free State border in 20's.
Old 14th March 2019, 21:45

Thanks for the replies ... all VG.

Interesting that the police were checking Communist cells during the general strike. I didn't know that the latter were so organised.

Also, thanks to Bob Hughes for his input. Did your father tell you how things worked out in practice? I mean, was it a normal police car or some kind of van? Was the gear just plonked down on the rear seat? Or perhaps it was a point to point link between police stations.

I have heard that in the 1930s someone on the south coast was picking up the Edinburgh police.

All good stuff and thanks again.

W
Old 14th March 2019, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldspan View Post
SNIP

Interesting that the police were checking Communist cells during the general strike. I didn't know that the latter were so organised.

SNIP
W
According to Paul Gannon, the Comintern didn't get it's wireless organised until the 1930s.

During the 1926 strike, the police chased down an illicit wireless station only to find that they'd caught the "Daily Mail" who had set up a secret transmitter in case the Post Office workers joined the strike . .

cb
Old 14th March 2019, 23:35
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 1993

When I was a kid living in Benalla, Australia, around 1946 the local police Sergeant had been trained to be a R/O but went into the Victorian police force to train (as he put it) hammed fisted police to use Morse from patrol cars.

Frank
Old 15th March 2019, 04:54

The current Police coms system in UK leased from Airwave is considered too expensive and the contract being ended. To replace they are going for a system based on mobile phone tech.

Errrrr except PTT .. Press To Talk / Boadcast to unlimited numbers of other handsets using mobile phone tech not exist .. the experts were saying .. not me.
Last time I did internet research the government were relying on it being invented. Not sure they know what they doing. Its controversial anyway.

Its gonna be interesting to follow what happens. I guess dialing up to speak only to a control room or 1 other person not what is needed.

Meanwhile .. Im available for employment by the Police if they need to re introduce morse. But I not come cheap. 😨😨😨😨😨&#x1f 628;. My perfect morse might be effected by bumpy roads .. so dont hurl too many QSDs at me.
Old 16th March 2019, 18:13

My location
zello

https://zello.com/ works just fine.

There are other, similar apps...
Old 17th March 2019, 02:26

Thanks for reply. Very interesting new development. Looks like the technology has been found. Thanks again.
Old 19th March 2019, 12:21
Active: 1951 - 1962

Worldspan Hi,
Unable to answer re equipment - sorry.
Bob
Old 27th March 2019, 23:36

Hi Worldspan,

An interesting and detailed article here on use of morse by British police in 400KHz and 2MHz bands in the 20's and 30's. All the best. https://brianpearsblog.wordpress.com...n-medium-wave/

Sorry Worldspan - just noticed that this article has already been referenced by John Leary see above) in another form as https://www.dtels.org/html/history_overview.html, though the second version may contain further details. Best regards, Alan

Last edited by Alan Couchman; 27th March 2019 at 23:57.. Reason: See comment above
Old 28th March 2019, 14:54

Thanks very much Alan ... what a feast of information from those two links. What a wonderful thing this forum is!
W
Old 28th March 2019, 16:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankkeavy View Post
When I was a kid living in Benalla, Australia, around 1946 the local police Sergeant had been trained to be a R/O but went into the Victorian police force to train (as he put it) hammed fisted police to use Morse from patrol cars.

Frank
Nice "action" photo here:

https://cv.vic.gov.au/stories/a-dive...a-world-first/

Brian
Old 28th March 2019, 17:01

My location
Photo of the Met in action:

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/...d/MEV-10425166

Brian
Old 29th March 2019, 23:18

Victorian Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedeesea View Post
Thank you for the link.

Frank
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:15

That must be the origin of "ditdahditdit dahdahdah, ditdahditdit dahdahdah, ditdahditdit dahdahdah".

John T
Old 2nd April 2019, 03:42

Good one. My Morse is rusty these days.
Frank
Old 2nd April 2019, 06:05
Active: 1956 - 1970

I struggled a bit but very risible.
Old 6th April 2019, 15:30
Active: 1966 - 1986

Don't encourage him please !
(Still trying to work it out - bit rusty these days)

Just got it ..............................

That was my 417th post -- Working frequency of GNF ?

Last edited by sparks69; 6th April 2019 at 15:32..
Old 7th April 2019, 08:52
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks69 View Post
Don't encourage him please !
(Still trying to work it out - bit rusty these days)

Just got it ..............................

That was my 417th post -- Working frequency of GNF ?
+1