HMS Queen Elizabeth - Ships Nostalgia
12:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Queen Elizabeth

User Tag List

Old 27th May 2019, 16:47

HMS Queen Elizabeth

According to newspaper reports they are "replacing 284 hull valves", seems a bit strange, any clues as to why?
Old 27th May 2019, 17:59
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Appears that that was one of the major reasons for the docking along with rudder cleaning and upgrading cathodic protection.

geoff
Old 27th May 2019, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by double acting View Post
they are "replacing 284 hull valves", seems a bit strange, any clues as to why?
Perhaps they are leaking!
Old 27th May 2019, 20:20

The captain's wife has open an iron monger's shop!
Old 27th May 2019, 20:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

And she'll deliver them, in small batches.
Old 27th May 2019, 20:57
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Admiralty bought them from China as a job lot, wrong hand, clockwise to open.
A bit like those Japanese prunung saws, cut on the pull stroke.!

Bob
Old 27th May 2019, 21:18
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Just as well they can do it now, she's no bloody good as warship at the moment anyway.
A chance to sort out the other one now they know there's a problem as well.
Old 27th May 2019, 21:42
Department: Navigation

Disappointing, I clicked on this in case it was an advert for a new captain.
Old 28th May 2019, 07:55

Was it only upon fitting the 284th valve that someone realised that the valves were upside down.
After a long and expensive inquiry it will be concluded that Billy the Fitter was to blame and middle-managers and above will get a bonus. Fair do's.
Old 28th May 2019, 08:13

Cathodic protection and hull valves are such basic design factors, how can they get them wrong?
Old 28th May 2019, 10:47

Forgive me for I am konfuzed.
Is the LH valve bit a belated April Fool's joke?
If so, on one hand, it has reached the stage that I don't know whether to believe it or not whilst, on the other hand, the concept seems so outrageous that it might just be true. (Too many hands doing we know not what, perhaps).
If true, who uses LH valves and for what purpose?
Old 28th May 2019, 11:00
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
Prior to this recent docking the ship had been in the water for nearly 5 years (since July 2014) so it is no surprise that her underwater paintwork and anodes needed attention. Since she is classed by Lloyds Register to their warship rules, inspection of ship side valves is a surveyable item at 5 yearly intervals, hence their removal for inspection.
So for the avoidance of doubt for those out there who are desperate to sensationalise, there has been no massive cock up, accident or poor planning which has led to this docking or the work undertaken therein.

Jim
Old 29th May 2019, 06:31

#1 "replacing 284 hull valves"

#1 2 inspection of ship side valves is a surveyable item at 5 yearly intervals, hence their removal for inspection.

False news or alternative facts?
Old 29th May 2019, 09:01
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
#1 "replacing 284 hull valves"

#1 2 inspection of ship side valves is a surveyable item at 5 yearly intervals, hence their removal for inspection.

False news or alternative facts?

Perhaps lost in translation. Although being the RN/MOD I must admit there's every possibility they'll just remove and replace rather than inspect/overhaul and replace, especially after the shambles with Endurance.

Jim
Old 29th May 2019, 09:04
Active: 1977 - 1983

replacing 284 hull valves ...upgrading cathodic protection.

maybe for the last 5 years the valves have been working as sacrificial anodes

...Perhaps they are leaking! - I got some Wood, Cement & Washing Soda if anyone wants to fix em before Drydock or the Engine-room floods
Old 29th May 2019, 20:00
Active: 1974 - 1982

Is there a modern version of cement boxes ???
Old 29th May 2019, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntisland Ship Yard View Post
Is there a modern version of cement boxes ???
My two would be Class and Port State.
Old 29th May 2019, 23:18
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Prior to this recent docking the ship had been in the water for nearly 5 years (since July 2014) so it is no surprise that her underwater paintwork and anodes needed attention. Since she is classed by Lloyds Register to their warship rules, inspection of ship side valves is a surveyable item at 5 yearly intervals, hence their removal for inspection.
So for the avoidance of doubt for those out there who are desperate to sensationalise, there has been no massive cock up, accident or poor planning which has led to this docking or the work undertaken therein.
Merchant vessels open and inspect, overhaul and then submit for for survey. Government paid for, they will be renewed, and subsequently sold on.
Dannic
Old 31st May 2019, 03:08
Active: 1964 - 2001

My location
Lao Pan is probably pretty close to the mark with his "maybe for the last 5 years the valves have been working as sacrificial anodes." The give-away is the reference to cathodic protection upgrade. With ICCP systems, (Impressed Current Cathodic Protection,) if not designed and operated correctly they can strip the zinc out of brass/bronze valves attached as hull fittings making them leaky and more brittle. Could be an oops at the design end or running the ICCP to aggressively.
Old 31st May 2019, 08:51
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1971 - Present

Contract language is very important. Replace is not the same as renew.
Old 31st May 2019, 10:27
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf_the_blue View Post
Lao Pan is probably pretty close to the mark with his "maybe for the last 5 years the valves have been working as sacrificial anodes." The .............be an oops at the design end or running the ICCP to aggressively.
I don't agree with your last ('aggressively'). The only real meaning of overprotection is to generate gas bubbles and blow off the paint. De-zincification would only occur if it were being sacrificial (ie underprotection).

Denholm's had relinquished Mr. Rappaport's fleet to Acomarit and this included two Russian built bulk carriers with enormous and unstable ICCP power unit. One each side every hatch break! Were the wielder of the terminal screwdriver to have had the touch of a midwife he would still have been hard pressed to adjust the output in the very small band between sod all and very much all.

Not long after I got a call from Dick Swindall (formerly my line manager and now deserted to Acomarit) asking innocently if I had ever seen an ICCP'd hull with a 'sort of etched look' and no paint. Havin already reported that the best use of these vessels' ICCP, if not subject to expert attention, would be to anchor-off the vessel prior to her next drydock and use it to blow the paint off and save on blasting.

Sure enough the question was about one of the subject bulkers.
Old 31st May 2019, 14:28
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I don't agree with your last ('aggressively'). The only real meaning of overprotection is to generate gas bubbles and blow off the paint. De-zincification would only occur if it were being sacrificial (ie underprotection).
It is possible to over protect a vessel with an ICCP system, if the voltage is too high for an excessive period of time it will cause Hydrogen embrittlement and as a result of this the likes of valve stems and spades made of lesser noble metals will suffer, reference cells are strategically placed around the vessel to monitor the voltage output but as most ICCP units are placed to the aft of the vessel the reference cells up Fwd will give a lesser reading to the aft reference cells therefore a happy medium must be reached. Once the ICCIP system has been switched on for the first time it will take many days for it to become fully effective and vice versa if it is switched off it will take just as long to UN protect the vessel, Ive heard of some vessels switching off the system from time to time to prevent any problems such as embrittlement.
Old 31st May 2019, 16:01
Active: 1977 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
... two Russian built bulk carriers with enormous and unstable ICCP power unit. One each side every hatch break!
Are you sure the Russians intended them for ICCP use - having sailed on a couple of Russian built ships they were just as likely originally designed for hull degaussing for passing through mine fields
Old 31st May 2019, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle Ray View Post
It is possible to over protect a vessel with an ICCP system, if the voltage is too high for an excessive period of time it will cause Hydrogen embrittlement and as a result of this the likes of valve stems and spades made of lesser noble metals will suffer, reference cells are strategically placed around the vessel to monitor the voltage output but as most ICCP units are placed to the aft of the vessel the reference cells up Fwd will give a lesser reading to the aft reference cells therefore a happy medium must be reached. Once the ICCIP system has been switched on for the first time it will take many days for it to become fully effective and vice versa if it is switched off it will take just as long to UN protect the vessel, Ive heard of some vessels switching off the system from time to time to prevent any problems such as embrittlement.
I think it is highly unlikely that one will come across hydrogen embrittlement on a hull unless and unusually it is made of high tensile steel. Again, even that would, I think, be more likely due to manufacturing than free hydrogen absorbed from its interface with the paint.

I did hear it talked about WRT MV Arctic and extremely cold water operations but I think that, too, was eventually discounted.

I am no metallurgist nor am I a gambler but I will take a bet that one is more likely to diagnose one's ICCP putting out too much from a side full of missing paint than waiting for the odd crack from hydrogen embrittlement. Any metallic suffering from overprotection will not involve it having been sacrificial, by definition, although with the Russian system it might well have been burned off!
Old 31st May 2019, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Pan View Post
Are you sure the Russians intended them for ICCP use - having sailed on a couple of Russian built ships they were just as likely originally designed for hull degaussing for passing through mine fields
The pair had other features that might have been more to do with auxiliary duty as well as a few absolute horrors the worst being her "halon" system. This consisted of two fluids (as stored). One being slightly flammable itself and the other employed to supress the first. Unfortunately whether effective or not it was highly carcinogenic.

Almost every load was capable of being connected to the emergency switchboard via a huge changeover switch local to each starter.

The bitter ends of both cables were easily releasable with I metre diameter handwheels.

As far as I remember she did not have any degaussing gear (I have only seen this once on one of the Cenargo vessels, can't remember which). I do imagine, though that the ICCP could have provided a set of coils with enough juice to send the North Pole on its way back to Canada.