Can you be identified on a web site - Ships Nostalgia
02:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Can you be identified on a web site

User Tag List

Old 20th February 2010, 02:55
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Can you be identified on a web site

When you log on to a web site can you be identified by the web site owner?
I see many websites can count their hits, but how far can they go to see the details of who's looking? Maybe SN administrators can tell us.
Old 20th February 2010, 07:13
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
I am no computer Geek. But, I think if the site operators of any site are on the ball a IP address can be obtained and in some cases traced to within an area.
But I think it would only be in dire circumstances that site operators would spend the time to trace the source of someones input.
Maybe one of our members who is up in the field of computer technology could throw some light on this interesting subject
Old 20th February 2010, 07:37
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

I was looking at a real estate site in Texas I was interested in a particular house but before I was allowed to look at any further details I was asked to register. I chose not too but clicked on the further details, I then got a message along the lines that my IP address had been noted and that I was suspected of being a "click thief". Apparently some people are continually accessing sites for which the owner gets a charge, at least thats what i think is going on. Its the only site I have come across with such a warning. I wasnt thinking of buying in Texas just interested in the state of the US housing market.
Old 20th February 2010, 07:45
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

Look at this site https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 it may answer your question.
Old 20th February 2010, 08:21

A website owner cannot easily identify an individual user who has a dynamic IP address. However, every website records significant information about each visitor - information which will usually include the following:
The visitor's IP address, as has been mentioned, is logged.
The visitor's movement through the site is tracked.
Time spent on each page is recorded.
The country in which the visitor resides is detected.
The referring site/page or search engine is logged.
The user's browser type and version is recorded.

Identifying an individual user is not easy, though if the user has a static IP address it can be done. If the user has a dynamic IP address, identifying the user would require information that could only be supplied by the individual's ISP, and it is my understanding that this information is obtainable only by certain statutory bodies or by court order.

I haven't operated a large website for some time, so I'm a little out of touch. Perhaps others might provide more recent information.

Regards
Doug
Old 20th February 2010, 22:38

My location
Hi Doug,

Presumably static/dynamic IP addresses are desktop/laptop ???
Old 20th February 2010, 23:33

My location
You'd be surprised.

I can tell you for instance that Billyboy is actually wearing pink panties and holding an AK47 in his left hand right now. Tonga has spilt turtle-food down his trousers and it has left a green stain, and Steve Woodward is sitting down stroking a white cat and looking very much like Blofeld in "Thunderball". I could also tell what Coastie is doing but will keep it to myself.
Old 21st February 2010, 00:37

My location
Compliments will get you no-where Brian
Old 21st February 2010, 07:40

John

No, static and dynamic IP addresses don't relate to the type of computer but rather to the type of Internet connection. The vast majority of users have dynamic addresses. With this type of address, the ISP's server allocates (automatically using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol or DHCP) an address each time a user logs on. The address remains valid for the user only until such time as the user logs off from the Internet session. The address is then re-allocated to another user.

There are reasons why some users require static IP addresses, but they are never provided automatically by ISPs and they tend to be relatively expensive. Unless a user specifically requests and pays for a static IP address, the address will be dynamic.

It is easy to see why it is difficult to identify a user via a dynamic IP address, particularly with large ISPs. Over a period of twenty-four hours, the same IP address might be allocated to several different customers. The only way an individual user could be traced would be by checking the ISP's log files and then referencing those to the ISP's customer database. It is not a simple process.

The main reason for using dynamic IP addressing is to keep the number of IP addresses in use to a minimum. As long ago as 1995, the Internet was running short of IP addresses. To obviate or at least to minimise the problem, IP addresses were increased from 32-bit numbers to 128-bit numbers and standardised in 1998.

Basically, dynamic IP addresses change each time you log on to the Internet, but static IP addresses stay the same.

This is a much simplified description of the process, but I hope it helps a little.

Regards
Doug
Old 21st February 2010, 08:21

My location
Cheers for that Doug
Old 21st February 2010, 08:24
Bilge Rat

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjidog View Post
You'd be surprised.

I can tell you for instance that Billyboy is actually wearing pink panties and holding an AK47 in his left hand right now. Tonga has spilt turtle-food down his trousers and it has left a green stain, and Steve Woodward is sitting down stroking a white cat and looking very much like Blofeld in "Thunderball". I could also tell what Coastie is doing but will keep it to myself.

Thank you for not saying what was in my right hand Brian.
Coastie wearing his Green wellies again?
Old 21st February 2010, 08:58
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1975 - 1991

My IP address shows that i am in Manchester
I live in Scotland !

However if you wish to go for a more safer way get yourself a googlemail email addy
they strip the IP making you harder to trace
Old 21st February 2010, 09:08
Bilge Rat

My location
Or if you really want to be traced you can join sites like Friends reunited, face book, Hi 5 and twitter. Police detectives like these sites. many been found and brought to justice through those sites. They are also good for getting spam, spyware and virus .... LOL
Old 21st February 2010, 10:31

I've looked at Thomas Cook & Thomson holiday web pages yesterday, left no details just browsed through their offers & then today recieved emails letting me know todays offers for the area I was looking for. So one way or another I believe there must be a way they can ID you?
Old 21st February 2010, 17:23

A lot of this activity is done through 'tracking cookies' if you minimise these it can improve your security quite a bit. If you run your anti-spyware it will probably show up a shed load of these things. Useful technique is to set your cookie handling to 'Prompt' (Tools-Options-Privacy-Advanced, tick both of the Prompt boxes) - Clear out all the old ones - then when ever you go on to a site you will be asked to approve the application of each cookie - If the cookie belongs to the site then tick 'Always do this' box and 'Allow' - if it belongs to an advertising group tick 'Always' and 'Block' your system will remember the instructions for that and other sites, build up the 'library' of instructions and won't ask again until it comes across something new. Helps cut down a lot of rubbish.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:35

Quote:
My IP address shows that i am in Manchester
I live in Scotland !
The IP address shows the registered location of the ISP, not of the individual user.

Regards
Doug
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Shaw View Post
The IP address shows the registered location of the ISP, not of the individual user.

Regards
Doug
Correct. But normally those IP tracing websites such as http://www.ip2location.com can trace the Country and Region accurately. I am not sure about City since the registered location of the ISP (Internet Service Provider) may not be in the same City.
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:50

as i know next to nothing about computers could a webcam be setup so that i could talk to other members who have the same setup??? and see them as well{ i want to see billyboy in his pink stuff}
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:21
Bilge Rat

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN PRUDEN View Post
as i know next to nothing about computers could a webcam be setup so that i could talk to other members who have the same setup??? and see them as well{ i want to see billyboy in his pink stuff}
John. If you download and register on "SKYPE" we can video chat mate. you can see me in my pink gear then ...LOL
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:18

My location
Oh PLEEEEEEZZZE! This isn't a dating agency!
Old 22nd February 2010, 22:32
Bilge Rat

My location
Aw...but he's a nice boy Brian...LOL
Old 22nd February 2010, 23:23
Forever a Seaman
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
I've seen Billyboy in his pink outfit via webcam. Not a nice sight!!!!
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:30

My location
I think we should ban all members from placing images of themselves in pink stuff on SN ( just in case), just had a few pints of the black stuff and I would hate to waste it.
Old 23rd February 2010, 00:39

Hey if it were that easy to ID a web site, we wouldn't have so many spammers and scammers around!
Old 23rd February 2010, 02:13
Bilge Rat

My location
Shhhh I am trying to trace the home of the guy who wrote that...LOL