Micheal J Batty Co Ltd. South East Asia - Ships Nostalgia
23:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Micheal J Batty Co Ltd. South East Asia

User Tag List

Old 20th March 2010, 20:40

Question Micheal J Batty Co Ltd. South East Asia

Hi
I am looking for any information that someone may have or stories relating to the crew members, vessals or company of Michael J Batty & Associates.
some of the vessals names were "Audrey B" ex. mv Viti
"Sally B", "Elsie B", "Shall B", Michael B", "Clive B", "Julian B", "Ruth B", "Jonathan B", "William B", "Tai koo", "Helen B", "May B", "Busy B", "Faye B" "Barbara B", "Anne B".
The company was based across India to Japan in the 60's and 70's and had links to John McRink & Co. Ltd. Fuji kaiji Company, Wallem Towage & Salvage Pte Ltd. Tokyo Kisen, Fukada Salvage and Asia Marine Ltd.
I would greatly appricate any infomation
Thank you
Old 21st March 2010, 16:37

My location
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.
Old 21st March 2010, 16:47
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings MJB and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 21st March 2010, 20:44
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage
Old 21st March 2010, 21:20

My location
MJB,
Welcome to SN from East Yorkshire, enjoy your time with us
Steve
Old 21st March 2010, 22:47
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 21st March 2010, 23:17

My location
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:46

mjbatty welcome to this great site. Sure you will soon have assistance from someone soon
Best wishes
Bert.
Old 19th September 2011, 22:40

I sailed for MJ Batty on board the George B (veraspeare one) and a short trip on the(Louise B.).We towed barges from Ardyne point Clyde to Corpach in 1981, Believe they are still ferreting away in Gib,, I had a great time with the crew we had unfortunately we were rarely paid, But well fed and watered even supplied our smokes!!!! An amaising man used to show me pics of offices and boats in singapore,, pics of men dressed as birds last sailed with the Aberfoyle what a scream, was a single man then wish I could turn the clock back!!!! would still do exact same!!!
Old 14th February 2012, 04:47
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1969 - 1986

Your Request for information re MJ Batty Asian Operations

Although your post is nearly 2 years old i pass on the following which may help.
For much of the time between 1969 and 1985 I was employed by the Wallem Group which, during the te 1960s early 1970s, largely replaced John McRink as Michael's sponsor/supporter in Hong Kong. About Aug 1969 Michael and Audrey left their home in Hong Kong's Shouson Hill Road. MJB for Singapore and Bangkok, (where he had a residence in Soi Asoke), and Audrey for Broadstairs to be based closer to the boys who were by then in school in the UK. One vessel your post mentions is the Helen B. When Wallem became involved withy Michael this tug was called the Margaret B but was sold to the Wheelock Marden Group's consortium then building the HK trans harbour tunnel and which we repurchased after tunnel construction was copleted. When transferred back to Batty/Wallem this vessel was not renamed Margaret B but Helen B, after my wife, and a rather faded photo of her after redelivery sits above my computer. Faded photo of tug NOT wife!

I note your user name is MJBatty but clearly not the Mike Batty I worked with in the 70s and 80s. Can you advise your relationship?
While your post included most of the businesses it did not include the Bangladesh Waterways Clearance Consortium which with comprised Batty/Smit Tak/(Forgotten name of Dutch Partner) which cleared the small vessels, 60 or 70 from distant recall, sunk in Bangladeshi waterways during the India Pakistan War of 1971. This was followed by Batty/Wallem contracts with the UN to distribute relief aid up river in a tug and barge operation and later a Singapore based Salvage operation.

Better close as this is too long a trip down memory lane. Feel free to use my e-mail address [email protected] as I was pretty intimately involved with the operations you mentioned and am happy to share.
Old 18th February 2012, 23:09

Hi every one out there thanks for your replies. My father Michael has passed away. He was very pleased to have contact with his old friends. I am still looking for anyone who knew or worked with him. He was invovled in the purchases and shipping of thames tugs out to Bangladesh in 1971/2 if anyone has any details please let me know, several were from Alfred White. He also had business contacts in UK, Malta, Gibraltar, USA, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand, Ceylon, India, Japan, Brazil, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Switzland, and through out the Far East.
I would love to hear from anyof his old shipmates and friends.
Jonathan
Old 16th April 2013, 15:28
Active: 1960 - 2006

I met your Father and Mother in the BOAC departure lounge at JFK. There were twn boys, one fairly banged up as a result of an accident. Your Mother was returning to Bropadstairs but your Father had business in the States for a few more days. We met because, while your Father was taking a telephone call, you boys wanted to watch a kid's TV show and some kraut (your Father's later designation) kept changing the station back to news or something more adult. After two or three round-trips, I intervened and suggested to the Kraut that one of the children (age 7?) was injured and it would be kind to let him stay dstracted by the TV. The BOAC club manager, in his infinite wisdom, resolved the situaiton by removing the TV from the pblic area.
When your Father returned and was told by your Mother what occurred, I thought he was going to strangle the offending passenger.
We got talking, he allowing that the war rates for his 3 tugs in Bangladesh were onerous; but, he did lose one of them so the premium was well spent. (I was at the time an insurance broker.) Your Dad related how he got his financial start (something about precious gems). He asked me to look after you boys and Audrey on the flight home, which was easy as everyone slept. I was invited down to Broadstairs later, a memory I will always cherish.
Your Father and Mother were wonderful people, but you already know that. Best wishes to you and your families for as much fun out of life as your Mom and Dad seemed to be having.
Yours, Dick Davis
Old 16th April 2013, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbatty View Post
Hi every one out there thanks for your replies. My father Michael has passed away. He was very pleased to have contact with his old friends. I am still looking for anyone who knew or worked with him. He was invovled in the purchases and shipping of thames tugs out to Bangladesh in 1971/2 if anyone has any details please let me know, several were from Alfred White. He also had business contacts in UK, Malta, Gibraltar, USA, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand, Ceylon, India, Japan, Brazil, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Switzland, and through out the Far East.
I would love to hear from anyof his old shipmates and friends.
Jonathan
LADY JOAN
O.N. 307546. 45g. 62' 4" x 18' 5" x 7 1
8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (7" x 7") Paxman vee type engine by Davey, Paxman & Company Ltd., Colchester, single reduction reverse geared to screw shaft. 400bhp.
29.4.1965: Launched by J. Harker Ltd, Knottingley (Yard No. B / 320) for J. H. Pigott & Son Ltd.
26.7.1965: Completed.
11.1971: Sold to the British Government (M. J. Batty, Singapore, manager).
10.1972: At Eastern Anchorage, Singapore.
1972: Allocated to the United Nations Organization and sent for use at Chittagong, Bangladesh.
1973: Sold to Chittagong Port Trust.
1976: Transferred to Chittagong Port Authority.
No further details located.

LADY CONSTANCE
O.N. 307551. 66g. 72' 4" x 21' 0" x 7' 6"
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (8" x 10") Ruston type engine by Ruston & Hornsby Ltd., Lincoln, single reduction reverse geared to screw shaft. 682bhp.
30.9.1965: Launched by J. Harker Ltd, Knottingley (Yard No. B / 321) for J. H. Pigott & Son Ltd.
31.12.1965: Completed.
11.1971: Sold to the British Government (M. J. Batty, Singapore, manager).
10.1972: At Eastern Anchorage, Singapore.
1972: Allocated to the United Nations Organization and sent for use at Chittagong, Bangladesh.
1973: Sold to Chittagong Port Trust.
1976: Transferred to Chittagong Port Authority.
No further details located
Old 16th January 2014, 22:36
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1968 - 1985

m j Batty

Hi, I worked on the AudreyB at mongla near Chalna in Bangladesh in 1973. I worked for batty in connection to the Bangladesh wreck clearance consortium. It was my first oversea's job as a 23 year old,I later went on to oil drilling.I remember best the engine room on the Audrey B decommissiond and locked up still in pristine condition the ship was being used as a storage vessel and work base Jack
Old 10th February 2014, 01:18
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1959 - 1996

Mike smith

I'm sorry to hear your father has died. He seemed indestructible and was a great guy. I hope Audrey is okay. I assume you are one of the twins. If so, I met you in Broadstairs in 1971/72. I worked as project manager for MJ Batty&Co in East Pakistan/Bangladesh and for a time lived on the Audrey B with my wife and daughter. I am retired and live in Dunedin, New Zealand. I have pix of a few of the boats and if you send your email address I'll forward them. My email is [email protected]
Who else has replied to your request for info?
Regards
Mike
Old 30th March 2014, 02:53

Mr Batty

Hi, I have only just come across this site, hence a little late to add. I worked for Mr Batty in Gibraltar on/off in the 80s and 90s as a deckhand and diver on his numerous B tugs. He was surely a huge character to work with and he told a few tales over the years of his exploits. I left Gib and Spain in December 95 and have wondered what happened to good old Mr Batty and his tugs and also his sons. I remember sharing a few beers in Rodolfos Bar on many occasion after work with Mr Batty, Clive and Julian, Infact I remember Julian's wedding day, it was an event. I am sorry to hear he has now passed away, one of life's great characters will sadly be missed. If anyone has any old pics of him or his tugs I would love to see them once again.
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:38

your dad,mike

HELLO Jonethan,I worked for your dad in the summer of 1976 as his skipper aboard the Henry Morgan ,a real character he was ,he loved life to the full down there ,
I took over from a couple of cowboys who were supposedly looking after the boat ,they were making a right mess ,painting over brass portholes ,dripping paint on the teak decks etc ,he employed me to do some splicing at first ,then offered me the job to run the ship ,i said i would if the 2 bozos where not employed ,mike just sacked them when one refused to leave he just knocked him overboard into the drink and threw his bag on the quay,I left in the sept to go back to nautical college ,and in the oct he was in the daily mirror ,he had been arrested in Italy,and the Henry Morgan was embargoed for non payment of a bill,he left through the middle of the night to try and get back to Antibes,a gunboat put a shot across his bows and re arrested the ship ,your dads comments were ,he didnt understand the international command for stop ,haha could just imagine him trying to run the gauntlet ,that was mike in a nutshell ,one minute he was skint (i believe he was on an allowance then )next day all the hanger ons were down to the boat i knew his allowance had arrived, ,to be fair ,he always paid the crew first ,then he would order liquid by the case ,a lovable rouge,who you couldnt help but like ,we would do anything for him ,and we did ,but thats another story ",RIP" Mike you certainly left your mark in the south of France

Last edited by david lomas; 3rd April 2014 at 08:47..
Old 16th November 2014, 08:27
Active: 1972 - Present

Batty 'B's, Chalna port, Bangladesh circa '73

As the UNROB rep, I had enormous fun and challenges coordinating lightering and salvage operations in Chalna port, Mongla river along with Helen B, William B, Audrey B, May B & not forgetting Justa B! + Batty barges. Today with our hospital ship operating in Tamatave, Madagascar, watching port tug operations nearby brought back good memories.
Old 16th December 2014, 13:34
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsmith View Post
I'm sorry to hear your father has died. He seemed indestructible and was a great guy. I hope Audrey is okay. I assume you are one of the twins. If so, I met you in Broadstairs in 1971/72. I worked as project manager for MJ Batty&Co in East Pakistan/Bangladesh and for a time lived on the Audrey B with my wife and daughter. I am retired and live in Dunedin, New Zealand. I have pix of a few of the boats and if you send your email address I'll forward them. My email is [email protected]
Who else has replied to your request for info?
Regards
Mike
I was the resident radio/radar engineer in Bangladesh for Batty's, (1971?). Remember you, your wife and daughter and many 'incidents'. Do you have any contact with Joe Dressler ? I did not return to Saigon as it was becoming rather unhealthy but remained in S E Asia for several years.
Alan+