george brown. - Ships Nostalgia
17:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

george brown.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 1st November 2011, 17:07
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
george brown.

Hi
just found this site and so i joined,seems like a good idea.
sailed on shell tankers for about 9 yrs,h.boats then a few of the
biggies ,till about 73/74 sailed on the baltic enterprise for 10 yrs
then on baltic eagle for 15 yrs pls blog if you sailed on these ships
would be glad to hear from you.
regards.
george brown.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 1st November 2011, 17:21
Gulpers's Avatar
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
My location
Posts: 11,591
Smile Welcome

George,

On behalf of the Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy SN and spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads.
Who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! *
__________________
Ray
. . . . A closed mouth gathers no feet!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 1st November 2011, 19:59
ALLAN WILD's Avatar
ALLAN WILD ALLAN WILD is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 360
Hello George,

You may or may not remember me, but I sailed with you on your first trip in Shell, Hadriania wasn't it,
If you fancy a pint or three I will be in Greenbricks tomorrow Wednesday 2 November about 1300, would be nice to see you and have a good old yarn.
__________________
Stay lucky, Allan.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 1st November 2011, 21:05
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN WILD View Post
Hello George,

You may or may not remember me, but I sailed with you on your first trip in Shell, Hadriania wasn't it,
If you fancy a pint or three I will be in Greenbricks tomorrow Wednesday 2 November about 1300, would be nice to see you and have a good old yarn.
Hi alan.
course i remember you mate,but long time no see,yeah it was hadriania good old days ah.hope ur good i will pop in greenbricks
for a pint with you mate one at least .
george.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 1st November 2011, 21:08
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by balticrunner View Post
Hi alan.
course i remember you mate,but long time no see,yeah it was hadriania good old days ah.hope ur good i will pop in greenbricks
for a pint with you mate one at least .
george.
Hi alan.
course i remember you mate i will see you tomorrow in greenbricks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1st November 2011, 22:18
ALLAN WILD's Avatar
ALLAN WILD ALLAN WILD is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 360
Ok George,

I will see you in Greenbricks about 1300, we can have a good " lamp swinging " sesh.
__________________
Stay lucky, Allan.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 1st November 2011, 23:59
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN WILD View Post
Ok George,

I will see you in Greenbricks about 1300, we can have a good " lamp swinging " sesh.
Cheers alan see you tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2nd November 2011, 00:42
ALLAN WILD's Avatar
ALLAN WILD ALLAN WILD is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 360
If you have any photos George, bring em along, I lost all most of mine in a house fire 3 years ago.
__________________
Stay lucky, Allan.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:06
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
yes ive got 3 or 4 i will bring them today see you later mate.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:20
billyboy's Avatar
billyboy billyboy is offline  
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
My location
Posts: 36,005
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
__________________
"Imagination is more important than knowledge". A. Einstein.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 3rd November 2011, 10:01
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
Hi billyboy.
thanks for your welcome.i am beginning to find my way
around this great site slowly.
take care.
balticrunner.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:27
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
My location
Posts: 746
hi George, glad to see you have joined the forum, If you dig a bit deeper or do a search you will find there is a UBC section with probably a few familiar names there.
Remember getting your head squashed by a maafi that day on the Enterprise in Arhus ? Fortunately the maafi came off worst ! Been hearing from a few familiar names over the last few days, Mick Thomson, George Hall, Barry Marsden to name a few. Unfortunately it has been in connection with funeral tomorrow of Capt Brian Mullenger who you must have sailed with at some time
Do you still keep in contact with any other Hullies ? Most of the names have been forgotten but Joe Meggitt and Pete Edwards spring to mind.
Sorry I'm a bit too far away to try and cadge a pint but still good to hear from you

Mike (I was 2nd mate when you had your accident and Harry Tate on the Eagle)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:00
Malky Glaister Malky Glaister is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 854
Where is GREENBRICKS? Never been there!!!

Welcome aboard.


regards Malky
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:05
ALLAN WILD's Avatar
ALLAN WILD ALLAN WILD is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 360
Greenbricks is a pub on the marina in Hull.
It is a place were x United Towing and big boat lads get together every two weeks and swing the lamp. All welcome.
__________________
Stay lucky, Allan.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:23
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
hi George, glad to see you have joined the forum, If you dig a bit deeper or do a search you will find there is a UBC section with probably a few familiar names there.
Remember getting your head squashed by a maafi that day on the Enterprise in Arhus ? Fortunately the maafi came off worst ! Been hearing from a few familiar names over the last few days, Mick Thomson, George Hall, Barry Marsden to name a few. Unfortunately it has been in connection with funeral tomorrow of Capt Brian Mullenger who you must have sailed with at some time
Do you still keep in contact with any other Hullies ? Most of the names have been forgotten but Joe Meggitt and Pete Edwards spring to mind.
Sorry I'm a bit too far away to try and cadge a pint but still good to hear from you

Mike (I was 2nd mate when you had your accident and Harry Tate on the Eagle)
Hi mike.
thanks for the message i only registered yesterday,but well chuffed up to now and will go on to ubc section as i was 25yrs with them 25
good years too.sorry mike i cannot remember you but as far as i know i never had any enemies.very sorry to hear of the sad loss of brian mullenger he was a true gentleman please pass on my condolences to family he will be sadly missed im sure.i only see the odd one or two (hullies) now and then reliving the good old days.
i will get back to you sometime with a few names as they come to me.
i will be putting some good fotos from enterprise @ eagle some good ice fotos remember them winters ? and they moan here about our winters ha.well i fully recovered from my injuries in arhus thankfully
but i dont think i could have got much nearer to finish with engines
but i am ok now.sadly pete edwards passed away a while back now dont know about joe meggit i see mick thomson odd occasions only seen george hall once i think.anyway mike thanks for dropping me a line
and if your ever round this way leave a message and i will get you that pint mate.thanks once again nice to hear from old shipmates.
best regards.
george.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:54
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN WILD View Post
Greenbricks is a pub on the marina in Hull.
It is a place were x United Towing and big boat lads get together every two weeks and swing the lamp. All welcome.
Hi allan.
can you give me your mobile number,im getting number not
recognised when trying.just wanted to thank you and all the lads
for the warm welcome yesterday in greenbricks hopefully see you all
in two wks time.
cheers lads.
george.
p.s still trying to navigate my way around this site.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 4th November 2011, 08:54
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
My location
Posts: 746
Hi again George, well you have miffed me ! we sailed together umpteen times over the years - I was 23 or so years with UBC myself and as you say good years - I was the handsome Geordie one from South Shields or maybe it was just me that thought that !! If you click on my profile there is a list of the ships I was on.
I have another old UBC hand staying with us overnight to go to Brian's funeral, as you could guess, we spent hours dragging names up from the past. That's Barry Marsden (Baz) who was 3rd engineer from Enterprise days. From Blackpool, short, prematurely (then) white hair, goatee beard, he and I were the 12-4 terrible twins. He remembers you from then and passes on a hello
I will pass on your condolences later today, thanks for your thoughts.
Look forward to seeing the Baltic Photos from the warmth of the house ! Don't miss the days of minus double figure temperatures at all !
Will keep a lookout for any more posts from the gang that you manage to contact and I'll hold you to that pint !

Best regards

Mike Kearney

Last edited by MikeK; 4th November 2011 at 09:01..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 4th November 2011, 11:39
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Hi again George, well you have miffed me ! we sailed together umpteen times over the years - I was 23 or so years with UBC myself and as you say good years - I was the handsome Geordie one from South Shields or maybe it was just me that thought that !! If you click on my profile there is a list of the ships I was on.
I have another old UBC hand staying with us overnight to go to Brian's funeral, as you could guess, we spent hours dragging names up from the past. That's Barry Marsden (Baz) who was 3rd engineer from Enterprise days. From Blackpool, short, prematurely (then) white hair, goatee beard, he and I were the 12-4 terrible twins. He remembers you from then and passes on a hello
I will pass on your condolences later today, thanks for your thoughts.
Look forward to seeing the Baltic Photos from the warmth of the house ! Don't miss the days of minus double figure temperatures at all !
Will keep a lookout for any more posts from the gang that you manage to contact and I'll hold you to that pint !

Best regards

Mike Kearney
Hi mike.
really sorry mate (how could i not remember you)with just registering
the other day i was trying to navigate my way round the site must have missed your surname as (i well remember you) was a good mate to be on watch with creep creep ha!no seriously you was ok by me.just being on this site brings it all back as though it was yesterday
i think they was the best years of my life,although getting up at 3 am
in the thick of the finnish winter did not seem like it at the time.
i will get all my fotos on the site eventually but just bear with me on that one.please say hi to(baz) for me nice to be remembered by old shipmates.anyway mike i hope everything goes well today for you all
and as i say again he was a true gentleman like yourself as was 99%
of the lads on them ships,he will be sadly missed.
so watch out for more posts mike and that pint is here whenever
your ready.
cheers mate.
george.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 5th November 2011, 16:18
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
My location
Posts: 746
Ok consider me unmiffed ! The surname doesn't appear anywhere and I signed with it in case it triggered the memory.
Just to update you on the funeral yesterday, it was obvious that Brian was appreciated as a good bloke beyond us UBC people, as we never even got inside the chapel because there was so many mourners there. We listened to the service from a little loudspeaker on the wall, but it lost nothing of the sadness of the occasion for that.
You will remember the UBC crowd that turned up - Ron Kreamer, Andy Latter, Roger Barker and Sue, Baz, myself and Brenda and Peter Green who I had evidently sailed with in the early days. As you can guess there was lots to rabbit about, just a shame it was on such a sad occasion. Maureen Mullenger asked me to pass on her thanks for the kind wishes and condolences sent from the people in UBC.
Thanks for the compliments but as you say 99% of the people were good blokes and that made it easy for us all to get on together.
I've made a note to make sure I remember to call in for that pint, who knows when I might end up in Hull again !
All the best & take care

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 5th November 2011, 18:25
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Ok consider me unmiffed ! The surname doesn't appear anywhere and I signed with it in case it triggered the memory.
Just to update you on the funeral yesterday, it was obvious that Brian was appreciated as a good bloke beyond us UBC people, as we never even got inside the chapel because there was so many mourners there. We listened to the service from a little loudspeaker on the wall, but it lost nothing of the sadness of the occasion for that.
You will remember the UBC crowd that turned up - Ron Kreamer, Andy Latter, Roger Barker and Sue, Baz, myself and Brenda and Peter Green who I had evidently sailed with in the early days. As you can guess there was lots to rabbit about, just a shame it was on such a sad occasion. Maureen Mullenger asked me to pass on her thanks for the kind wishes and condolences sent from the people in UBC.
Thanks for the compliments but as you say 99% of the people were good blokes and that made it easy for us all to get on together.
I've made a note to make sure I remember to call in for that pint, who knows when I might end up in Hull again !
All the best & take care

Mike
Hi mike.
glad you accepted my apologies,i'm starting to find my way around the site now so i'ts down hill from here.i'm really pleased the funeral
went well,and glad to hear brian had a nice send off.which he most definately deserved.I remember all the names of the other ubc men you mentioned (seem's like only yesterday)I know i'ts a cliche but even with those finnish winters i bet most of us wish we could relive them,well maybe not.ha!
well about that drink mike once again you will be most welcome
and i'm glad you made a note.so till then you take care.
regards.
george.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 5th November 2011, 18:32
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
[QUOTE=balticrunner;549587]Hi mike.
glad you accepted my apologies,i'm starting to find my way around the site now so i'ts down hill from here.i'm really pleased the funeral
went well,and glad to hear brian had a nice send off.which he most definately deserved.I remember all the names of the other ubc men you mentioned (seem's like only yesterday)I know i'ts a cliche but even with those finnish winters i bet most of us wish we could relive them,well maybe not.ha!
well about that drink mike once again you will be most welcome
and i'm glad you made a note.so till then you take care.
regards.
george.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 5th November 2011, 19:57
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
My location
Posts: 746
Wow stereo ! one apology is eough George !

Mike

Last edited by MikeK; 5th November 2011 at 20:01..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 6th November 2011, 00:13
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Wow stereo ! one apology is eough George !

Mike
promise i will get the hang of this, so watch this space.
cheers.
george.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 6th November 2011, 00:47
RayJordandpo's Avatar
RayJordandpo RayJordandpo is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,514
Hello George,
Long time no see. Alan told me he had a pint with you in Greenbricks. I'm away in Brazil at the moment but am due home early December. Hope to see you for a pint then.
Take care
Ray Jordan
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 6th November 2011, 09:52
balticrunner balticrunner is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2002
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
Hello George,
Long time no see. Alan told me he had a pint with you in Greenbricks. I'm away in Brazil at the moment but am due home early December. Hope to see you for a pint then.
Take care
Ray Jordan
Hi ray.
what a surprise,as you say mate long time no see,but definately will have a pint or two when your home.i had a good old sesh last wednesday,brought back many old memories and also looking over the ubc threads was great. so you take care as well mate and i'll see you in december.ps enjoy the sun.
regards.
george.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Terry Brown t-brown47 Say Hello 5 25th March 2010 23:24
Hello From Rob Brown Rob Brown Say Hello 8 17th November 2006 23:00
Burt Brown Burt Brown Say Hello 7 3rd May 2006 17:33
Looking for Peter Brown Burntisland Looking for Old Shipmates 0 24th January 2006 00:52



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.