BP female Navigation Cadets - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
17:36

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP female Navigation Cadets

User Tag List

Old 10th June 2013, 18:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKnight View Post
Fm Lucy Knight.

I was employed with Shell Tankers as an R/O not B.P. before l joined CP Ships as an ER/O. I did sail with the C/E you were talking about with C.P. I believe he worked for B.P. before C.P. Are you sure it was me he was talking about and not 'Doxi Diesel' the engineers favourite girl, who lived in the engine room. That sounds more likely.

Lucy.
Lucy, did you take your Marine Electronics Cert. at Plymouth Poly between Sept 1977 and March 1978? There was a Lucy on that course but I can't remember the surname, though Knight does ring a bell!

Bob
Old 12th June 2013, 15:20

MEC/MED Plymouth Polytechnic 1977/78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post
Lucy, did you take your Marine Electronics Cert. at Plymouth Poly between Sept 1977 and March 1978? There was a Lucy on that course but I can't remember the surname, though Knight does ring a bell!

Bob
Yes l was on the MED/MEC Sept 1977 - March 1978. I worked for Shell at the time, but they weren't sponsoring me. I took the MED during my leave from the Hemitrochus. It had been quite a long trip before we ended up at the scrap yard in Taiwan, and then asked Shell for 3 months off pay to complete the MEC. They were none to pleased and told me they chose who went on the course. I went back for one more trip with Shell on the Amoria and then joined CP Ships. I was the only one on the course paying for it myself including course fees. They were several BP sparks including one l had been at Brunnel with and had a bedsit in the same house in Bristol called Stuart. Also another Sparks l relieved on the ID Sinclair (John Norton), several Marconi ones. Pete Yardley was in charge of the course.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:38
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1986

I thought it was you Lucy. I was one of the BP sparks, I'd just got married two weeks before the course started, and my wife (Kath) and I were staying in a flat in Devonport for the duration. As you say there were several BP sparks, three of us were from the Northwest, myself (Bob Bryne), Steve Smith (tall & thin), and Brian Dodd (a rather large chap), who all knew each other from Fleetwood Nautical College prior to the course.

I remember Stuart, if I remember correctly he was always teasing you!

ISTR you saying you were paying your own way, but thought you'd left Shell to attend the course, I didn't realise you were still with them.

I do have fond memories of my six months in Plymouth, especially several sessions in the Good Companions. We've never been back since and have often said to Kath we must revisit sometime and see how much it has changed.

Bob.
Old 12th June 2013, 16:38
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
I sailed with a Skipper by the name of Rachel on Wightlink. She'd been there for quite a few years. Now works as an Admiralty Pilot in Pompey.
She did a few years service with BP. I don't know if she was a cadet with 'em but she would be about the right age I guess.
I don't know her maiden name.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:35
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post

I do have fond memories of my six months in Plymouth, especially several sessions in the Good Companions. We've never been back since and have often said to Kath we must revisit sometime and see how much it has changed.

Bob.
You wouldn't know the place now! The 'Goodies' is long gone - all that area has been pulled down to make way for a huge shopping mall.

I did my BP Cadetship in Plymouth and spent many a happy times around Plymouth pubs, though living only 40 minutes away was perhaps not a good thing!!

The college as a whole is all now one massive part of Plymouth Uni ... everything around the old part of Portland Square as you would remember it has gone sadly, even the road itself - along with the little planetarium too I think!
Old 13th June 2013, 14:58

Plymouth City

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
You wouldn't know the place now! The 'Goodies' is long gone - all that area has been pulled down to make way for a huge shopping mall.

I did my BP Cadetship in Plymouth and spent many a happy times around Plymouth pubs, though living only 40 minutes away was perhaps not a good thing!!

The college as a whole is all now one massive part of Plymouth Uni ... everything around the old part of Portland Square as you would remember it has gone sadly, even the road itself - along with the little planetarium too I think!
You're right about Plymouth changing beyond all recognition. Even the historic barbican has changed. Fishing market moved across to
Cattdown. Lock gates on the harbour by the barbican and very expensive marinas where the boats used to be and still more and more being developped as well as very expensive waterside flats outside the price range of most locals and this is extending around the waterline on both sides including Fort Bovisand soon (where the college sub aqua centre was in the70's. and also Milbay dock. The latest is to rebrand the city calling it 'Ocean City' ( I thought it was on the English Channel) Now the anniversary of the Mayflower is approaching Harwich has stepped in saying the Mayflower and most of her passengers was actually from Harwich (Mayflower of Harwich was her registered name) and they should be taking the glory. Should be interesting if they patent the Pilgrims name (which the papers mentioned) since that has been well capitalized on.
Old 14th June 2013, 08:50

My location
A certain football team will be upset!

We did all our practical radar work at Fisher's Nose ... just on the corner of Maderia Road from the Barbican to the Hoe, on the left. Spent all the time plotting movements in the Sound
Last time I went along there it was a cafe called Duttons!
Old 15th June 2013, 14:09
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Is Union Street still there ?
Old 15th June 2013, 14:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Is Union Street still there ?
It is .. but nothing like in the old days!

The railway bridge is long gone now and the area has been cleaned up & opened up considerably .. no 'Bier Kellar' anymore! .. and I doubt if it's much fun for the remaining matelots now either with the naughty ladies having nowhere to go!

The Two Trees pub still is there but the old Top Rank club is closed and boarded up and many places have been pulled down or totally revamped.

I didn't know the place when I drove down there a couple of years ago.
Old 15th June 2013, 14:44

Plymouth

Quote:
It is .. but nothing like in the old days!

The railway bridge is long gone now and the area has been cleaned up & opened up considerably .. no 'Bier Kellar' anymore! .. and I doubt if it's much fun for the remaining matelots now either with the naughty ladies having nowhere to go!

The Two Trees pub still is there but the old Top Rank club is closed and boarded up and many places have been pulled down or totally revamped.

I didn't know the place when I drove down there a couple of years ago.
Even the Sailing school nightclub known usually as the GX on the Barbican isn't a sailing school now. Club called Annabels now used to think of it as the Merchant Navy local as a lot of people back from sea went there very regularly during their leave. The Nav lecturer John Hill was there a lot in the 70's. Short distance from the 'Three Crowns'ub, just across carpark which took over in popularity from the Goodies in the late 70, s when the Goodies landlord Ron took over with all the Goodies barmaids so the lads followed.
The anging club next door is no more, again a club and the front part is a very good (safety wise) Paddy diving centre if people are interested in diving on the Scylla etc. Well worth a go. So not everything has beeen replaced by worse.
Old 15th June 2013, 14:50

My location
Ha-ha ... the 'Groin Exchange'!! .. yes, a 3rd mate called Dave Thomas who lived in Plymouth used to pick me up from the residential block and take me there!!

Not surprised that has gone.
Old 15th June 2013, 15:03

Plymouth Sailing School

Quote:
Ha-ha ... the 'Groin Exchange'!! .. yes, a 3rd mate called Dave Thomas who lived in Plymouth used to pick me up from the residential block and take me there!!

Not surprised that has gone.
I was trying to use some decorum calling it the 'GX' (which it was also known as). Originally it was actually a Sailing school for Yachts and motor boat training and the nightclub was for the social side owned by Peter Gaskell Brown. The actual sailing school still exists and was taken over by an ex Nav School Maths lecturerer (ex marine engineer Richasrd)) first at Queens Anne Battery Marina, then Mount Edgecombe Marina (Yacht Haven Marina) (the old RAF and weather station base) and now Yachthaven Quay (or was a few years ago) where they run the RYA courses on Bavaria's (competent crew, Day Skippers etc. Again l would thoroughly recommend them. Had great time on their Bavarias.
Old 15th June 2013, 16:40

My location
Quote:
I was trying to use some decorum calling it the 'GX' (which it was also known as). Originally it was actually a Sailing school for Yachts and motor boat training and the nightclub was for the social side owned by Peter Gaskell Brown.
I know!! I think many Cadets at the college used to wonder why we were going to the sailing school, little did they know!

Plymouth is now just another city with the same old shops as the next. The atmosphere has long gone and amazingly the Plymouth Pavillions is the largest venue for bands in the south-west now. The only bridge across Union Street now is the walkway from the 'Toys-R-Us' car park!
Old 16th June 2013, 00:44
Active: 1972 - 1979

That's right, Lucy, you keep that smutty Derek behaving himself!! GX was actially probably more respectable than a lot of the other alternatives.

What was the name of the vast place with no furniture at the far end of Union street on the left? Sort of western style bar exclusively for picking up women as I always understood things.
I only ever went there a couple of times, but my vile classmates (DN30) used to compete to pick up the least attractive women possible. Never understood that, or them. My class were (Tim Leighton, Bibbys) the one exception) the pits.
Old 16th June 2013, 08:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
That's right, Lucy, you keep that smutty Derek behaving himself!! GX was actially probably more respectable than a lot of the other alternatives.

What was the name of the vast place with no furniture at the far end of Union street on the left? Sort of western style bar exclusively for picking up women as I always understood things.
I only ever went there a couple of times, but my vile classmates (DN30) used to compete to pick up the least attractive women possible. Never understood that, or them. My class were (Tim Leighton, Bibbys) the one exception) the pits.
Moi smutty??

I know the place you mean Nina, but the name eludes me at the moment!
So many pubs to visit in those days ... Goodies, Penny-Come-Quick, Jamie (James Street Vaults, behind the residential block and still there, landlord charged for cashing a cheque!), Valatort, 2 Trees, Fortesque, Burton Boys (on the way to Cattedown seamanship centre, they had live boxing there), Admiral MacBride, Mount Pleasant, Noahs Ark, plus hundreds more!
Old 17th June 2013, 17:33

Plymouth clubs

The worst one Nina l ended up in with the lads back from sea was Diamond and Lils. I don't know how l fell for it. Mind you that wasn't as bad as one in Newcastle Australia when the CP lads took me to a transvestite strip bar. I had no idea where we were going. It was CP ones who landed me in Diamond and Lils strip joint.

Later on in the 70's the men back from sea used to play the same game at one on the Hoe called Sam's. It wasn't there in the early 70s. They used to have a competition of who in there eyes was the grotiest female they could find and then from an assortment of clubs and bars in Plymouth end up at that place on the Hoe. Once was enough for me. Sexism or sexism

Quote:

Old 17th June 2013, 18:19

Plymouth Union St

Quote:
The worst one Nina l ended up in with the lads back from sea was Diamond and Lils. I don't know how l fell for it. Mind you that wasn't as bad as one in Newcastle Australia when the CP lads took me to a transvestite strip bar. I had no idea where we were going. It was CP ones who landed me in Diamond and Lils strip joint.

Later on in the 70's the men back from sea used to play the same game at one on the Hoe called Sam's. It wasn't there in the early 70s. They used to have a competition of who in there eyes was the grotiest female they could find and then from an assortment of clubs and bars in Plymouth end up at that place on the Hoe. Once was enough for me. Sexism or sexism
Was the place you were referring to at the top end of Union St. There was one club called the 'Majestic' which l managed to totally avoid. That was known as a bit of a 'pick up joint at the end of the 60's, early seventies.
Lucy
Old 17th June 2013, 22:00

Quote:
Was the place you were referring to at the top end of Union St. There was one club called the 'Majestic' which l managed to totally avoid. That was known as a bit of a 'pick up joint at the end of the 60's, early seventies.
Lucy
Lucy
Possibly? I think it was opposite a cinema but at the far end of Union street. It had virtually no furniture other than a few of those highlevel shelves round the pillars and was done up like a wildwest bar. dead basic.

It never particularly bothered me going into girlie bars abroad with the lads or seeing the trannies on Bugis Street, but the same sort of thing at home seemed somehow deeply horrible. Ironically, I am now a city councillor on the Licensing Board in Glasgow and we do occasional 'tours' of the trouble spots. I was in one in a dodgy bit of town the other week, that was practically dickensian in its squalor.

The only sexism I ever experienced in my seagoing career was from the vile toads in my class at Plymouth. Funny old world.
nina
Old 17th June 2013, 22:09

Lucy, was the bar in Newcastle, NSW, the Star by any chance?

John T
Old 20th June 2013, 18:17

Newcastle Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Lucy, was the bar in Newcastle, NSW, the Star by any chance?

John T
Fm Lucy Knight

Can't remember the name of that bar now John. I don't think I wanted to. I had been in the large modern 'working man's (several floors) club first with a crowd, and the lecki (who had Westcountry and Plymouth connections) had arranged that all of us would join up at this bar. Apparently he couldn't believe the proportions of the barmaid (trying to express it unsmuttily). That was the reason later given for ending up there.

I also remember the beach there and the lifeguard stand. The rats off the ship buried me in sand, pinched my bikini, put my towels out of reach and disappeared off for a beer. There was a chorus of pink towels are banned on this beach (mine just happened to be) and I looked up to see these laughing men looking down (the lifeguards) My fellow shipmates tried their antics a couple of months earlier in the water on a Durban beach. We were a playing sort of volley ball when they got a bit friskly in the water and the lifeguards went 'ape' blowing their whistles at them. They also apple pied my bed while I was ashore in Durban. I had just managed to get the station thru the radio survey, with a radio surveyor determined to fail the station) The usual trucks, Durex full of water in my bed with my hairbrush plus plently else etc Thought l didn't know the tricks of the trade of how to remove it with a towel. They were probably looking for the porn posters and callenders they had kindly donated and plastered the walls of my cabin with when l had joined in Iran 78 when it had taken me 24 hours to arrive having my flights delayed all day in another gulf state airport and no notice when it would take off to Iran and I eventually arrived when a curfew was about to start. ( I was new to the company had not sailed with the far more modern tx and told l would get a good handover. I was used to old marconi rental maintainance station gear not Redifon modern gear) The sparks I was relieving ran down the stairwell and said he had to get off before the curfew. Very tired from no sleep or food and capt wanted a call. Main tx not working, and a radio survey booked in for the next port Durban). Porn was not the sort of thing to have displayed in Iran at that time (with the Shar trouble at the time. ) so I quickly removed it and his it under the bunk drawers. Told them later I jettisoned it all. They seemed to know I hadn't so I expect thats why they were in my room having a look. I was more annoyed they had left the door unlocked in port. Eventually I was asked for the porn and especially the callender back by a senior officer so they could auction it at a horse racing meeting. I gave in and returned it.

Probably Australian ports were a bit different back in 78. We went to 4 Aussie ports and the last one, Western Port the shipwas leaving in the early hours of Xmas morning. The Capt told us we were not to go on the p--s on Xmas Eve. Nothing to do there, so we decided to get a taxi up to this wooden church in the middle of a green. All was going fine until the hymn 'All things bright and beautiful started'. With great gusto we started belting it out. Only trouble none of us realized it was a completely different tune and the organist stopped playing and the service ground to a halt. The only one amongst the rest of the congregation who thought it was funny was the vicar.

This was the same ship they put me through the King Neptune ceromony for the second time. I have written about this on the 'King Neptune' thread. I had already been thru one with a previous company but hadn't got my certificate with me.

Lucy

Last edited by LucyKnight; 20th June 2013 at 18:21.. Reason: typing error
Old 20th June 2013, 18:37

Plymouth clubs

Quote:
Lucy
Possibly? I think it was opposite a cinema but at the far end of Union street. It had virtually no furniture other than a few of those highlevel shelves round the pillars and was done up like a wildwest bar. dead basic.

It never particularly bothered me going into girlie bars abroad with the lads or seeing the trannies on Bugis Street, but the same sort of thing at home seemed somehow deeply horrible. Ironically, I am now a city councillor on the Licensing Board in Glasgow and we do occasional 'tours' of the trouble spots. I was in one in a dodgy bit of town the other week, that was practically dickensian in its squalor.

The only sexism I ever experienced in my seagoing career was from the vile toads in my class at Plymouth. Funny old world.
nina
Nina

The majestic was the Plymouth City centre end right hand side if you were travelling towards the Stonehouse end. I don't think I remember the one you describe if it was the far end. I did go to one one half was down Union St. with some people that was a pick up joint in the days when the RN sailors wore uniforms in the evening.

I think the 'Spot the Grot' contests as the men called them were usually on Thursday nights (for the ones back from sea). That was 'boys night out' and they left their girlfriends and wives behind. When I realized what was going on, if I was down at the Sailing school and one of them homed in on me for a dance not knowing me or what I did for a living, and started the chat up line asking me where I worked etc I used to tell them I worked with animals. They went through every poddibility, vets nurse etc until I finally told them I worked on board ship like they did. One time one came up (I believe he worked for BP) and asked for a dance and then said 'Do you have another name other than Egobasher. I think I got the message across.
Old 20th June 2013, 20:36
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Nina

The majestic was the Plymouth City centre end right hand side if you were travelling towards the Stonehouse end. I don't think I remember the one you describe if it was the far end. I did go to one one half was down Union St. with some people that was a pick up joint in the days when the RN sailors wore uniforms in the evening.

I think the 'Spot the Grot' contests as the men called them were usually on Thursday nights (for the ones back from sea). That was 'boys night out' and they left their girlfriends and wives behind. When I realized what was going on, if I was down at the Sailing school and one of them homed in on me for a dance not knowing me or what I did for a living, and started the chat up line asking me where I worked etc I used to tell them I worked with animals. They went through every poddibility, vets nurse etc until I finally told them I worked on board ship like they did. One time one came up (I believe he worked for BP) and asked for a dance and then said 'Do you have another name other than Egobasher. I think I got the message across.
<smile> The Male Ego can be quite delicate at times you know.<smile>
Running on a River Boat from Singapore to Satahip and back, our 3/E liked to portray himself as a suave international jetsetter when ashore and his favourite chat-up line was "I travel in oil and steel". This was true , as he was travelling on a steel BP Tanker full of AvGas.

All went well with his chat-up line until he tried it out on a beautiful Australian girl in a Bar in Singapore and she replied very loudly "what are you then Mate, a bleeding Sardine??!!??" It took him a while to get over that......... <smile>
Regards, Mike
Old 20th June 2013, 22:39
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Mike ,
I burst out laughing at that one , what a put down.

Was perchance the 3E SM, ex EA. 3E with you in '77?

Graham
Old 20th June 2013, 23:19

Quote:
Nina

I think the 'Spot the Grot' contests as the men called them
All females were uniformly referred to as "box" and the equivalent term for the spot the grot was "brown bagging" - as in you would need to disguise the unfortunate woman with one.

I did tell you that my classmates were infantile toads.
Old 21st June 2013, 09:47
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Mike ,
I burst out laughing at that one , what a put down.

Was perchance the 3E SM, ex EA. 3E with you in '77?

Graham

Hi Graham,
The 3E was a very nice guy, but I honestly cannot remember his name. There were a lot of personnel changes happening on the ship and thus the Fleet News lists might not be entirely accurate for her.

I am glad that it made you laugh ; the BP Tankers engineers were a great bunch of guys and we had some good laughs together.
I was working on some high speed Catamarans the other day and their engineers are very much in the same vein as the BP Tanker guys - brilliant to work with and always ready for a laugh.
<smile>
Regards, Mike