Greenpeace Vessel Boarded - Page 16 - Ships Nostalgia
22:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Greenpeace Vessel Boarded

User Tag List

Old 28th October 2013, 00:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1986

Quote:
I expect responses from rig workers to castigate Greenpeace and any other protester because "they know best".
That's rather condescending (assuming I've read it correctly).
They probably do know best, especially when commenting on acts by others who more than likely know a damned site less about the operational environment on that platform, thereby putting the lives of others at risk.

Last edited by Treborvfr; 28th October 2013 at 00:56..
Old 28th October 2013, 00:53
Active: 1964 - 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post
I expect responses from rig workers to castigate Greenpeace and any other protester because "they know best".
They probably do know best, especially when commenting on acts by others who more than likely know a damned site less about the operational environment on that platform, thereby putting the lives of others at risk.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

LouisB.
Old 28th October 2013, 01:30
Department: Engineering

Quote:
They probably do know best, especially when commenting on acts by others who more than likely know a damned site less about the operational environment on that platform, thereby putting the lives of others at risk.
Oh go on then, how does tying yourself to a leg pose a danger to the rig.
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 28th October 2013, 01:37
Forever a Seaman
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill thompson View Post
I trust you would support drilling in the Great Barrier Reef John ???
No Bill, I would not support drilling in the Barrier Reef, in fact I would strongly object.
I certainly wouldn't however, attack any drilling rig thereby increasing the chance of a major incident.

I don't think this thread is about our attitude to the environment. It is about the irresponsible and illegal actions of Greenpeace "protesters".
Old 28th October 2013, 02:08
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
activists who learned to use green language to cloak agendas that had more to do with anticapitalism and antiglobalization
Hence 'watermelons' - Green on the outside and red on the inside.
Old 28th October 2013, 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Briggs View Post
No Bill, I would not support drilling in the Barrier Reef, in fact I would strongly object.
I certainly wouldn't however, attack any drilling rig thereby increasing the chance of a major incident.

I don't think this thread is about our attitude to the environment. It is about the irresponsible and illegal actions of Greenpeace "protesters".
They didn't Ättack" a drilling rig.

And of course it's about our attitude to the environment.Do you think the haters on here would raise a finger to protect the environment??

Not likely
Old 28th October 2013, 05:44

Quote:
I dont give a fig if you find it condescending,,You would think that Greenpeace had attacked a rig with WMD,instead of a relatively harmless protest.

The hysteria being whipped up in this forum is ludicrous.
Old 28th October 2013, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Hence 'watermelons' - Green on the outside and red on the inside.

Ahhh Basil,,,,,Commies.......dear oh dear.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill thompson View Post
I dont give a fig if you find it condescending,,You would think that Greenpeace had attacked a rig with WMD,instead of a relatively harmless protest.

The hysteria being whipped up in this forum is ludicrous.
I find this rather hilarious, the only hysteria I've seen is coming from the pro-Greenpeace lobby on here. All the attacking has come from people such as yourselves by calling anyone that disagrees with you "haters", and "rednecks", and various other derogatory terms that have been used against people who have, in the main, only passed comment on what the protesters have done is illegal and, therefore, can be expected to be subject to whatever law prevails in the part of the World they carry out these acts. All I have done is point out the potential danger these people brought to the platform in question. It is all very well SM saying they only tied themselves to the leg and questioning how this can be a danger to the rig. The mere act of taking an unauthorised vessel into the 100m zone presents a threat to the installation and, if they were not stopped, who is to say they would not have boarded the platform proper.

Besides, how did the people who approached the platform know there were no hydrocarbons present at sea level? Of course they couldn't know, because they didn't know the operational status of the platform. Any radios or other electronic equipment they may have had with them could have potentially provided an ignition source, as would the boat they used to get there.

Similarly, if the platform had been carrying out down the well ops, such as well perforation, this too could have been potentially life threatening. Again, they didn't know the operational status of the platform so they couldn't know what ops were taking place. Whilst radio controlled explosives tend not to be used nowadays for well perforation (in UK waters) they may well be used elsewhere. If such ops were taking place, and they did have radios, these could have set them off. (The last time I was on a platform where radio controlled explosives were used we had to recall all handheld radios, and isolate fixed radios, when the explosives were being armed and set ready for use because of the dangers of false ignition.)

I re-iterate, they really would have had no idea what was happening on that platform and therefore were, potentially, putting not only their own lives at risk but also the lives of everybody on board.

I used to be a supporter of Greenpeace, but in the last 15 years or so this support has disappeared due to the tactics they now use, together with what I believe to be misinformation with regard to some of their projects.

Bob

Last edited by Treborvfr; 28th October 2013 at 16:36.. Reason: punctuation
Old 28th October 2013, 12:33

In other words they weren't a danger at all - contrived shoite
In the fullness of time
Old 28th October 2013, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
In other words they weren't a danger at all - contrived shoite
You are obviously not prepared to listen to other peoples opinions or point of view, so I'll not waste any more of my time reponding to you. At least I have tried to explain why their acts were potentially dangerous, based on a knowledge of the industry, rather than just throw insults at others. I'm not sure whether your reponse is a reflection of your inability to intelligently discuss your point of view or you are just not prepared listen to any one elses opinion. Based on this you should fit right in with the majority of GP members that I've come across in recent years.

Now see what you made me do, throw in an insult, albeit a mild one, something I rarely do on line
Old 28th October 2013, 17:46
Active: 1978 - Present

My location
There were reports that at the time of the encroachment of the Greenpeace vessel into the exclusion zone, the rig had divers down, so the chances of explosives being in use were pretty slim, I'd have thought (unless the divers were setting them?). However, bringing an unauthorised vessel into close proximity with divers is not very clever...
Old 28th October 2013, 19:43
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
No snarlies being thrown at anyone, but I do dislike the media tickling exploits of Greenpeace, and, whether they admit it or not, they could easily lead to the accidents they rant against. My point remains as in a previous post: if a trawler skipper transcends all the various rules and gets within spitting distance of a rig, even accidentally or unwittingly, he gets the book thrown at him. What power has granted Greenpeace immunity from the law?
Old 28th October 2013, 22:10

My location
As I pointed out in my earlier post Greenpeace have been doing this stuff for around 40 years.
My (fading) memory tells me (without resorting to Mr Google) that over those years the damage, injuries, deaths and financial losses caused by the energy industries is many, many orders of magnitude greater than those attributable to Greenpeace.

I do wonder how much worse the toll would have been without pressure from environmental groups embarrassing governments into taking action to make those industries moderate their excesses.

Last edited by Iangb; 28th October 2013 at 22:21.. Reason: ..and another thing.
Old 28th October 2013, 22:23
Active: 1955 - 1999

[QUOTE=Iangb;712064]As I pointed out in my earlier post Greenpeace have been doing this stuff for around 40 years.
My (fading) memory tells me (without resorting to Mr Google) that over those years the damage, injuries, deaths and financial losses caused by the energy industries is many, many orders of magnitude greater than those attributable to Greenpeace.[/QUOTE]

langb, agree wholeheartedly and not aware of any deaths attributable to greenpeace

Last edited by joebuckham; 28th October 2013 at 22:29..
Old 28th October 2013, 22:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuckham View Post
not aware of any deaths attributable to greenpeace
Me neither, though I suspect they've made the odd CEO or Minister feel a bit crook.
Old 28th October 2013, 22:56

who remembers shell's rig kulluck was that only december 2012.doesn't time fly when you're having...........accidents?
Old 29th October 2013, 05:11

Quote:
You are obviously not prepared to listen to other peoples opinions or point of view, so I'll not waste any more of my time reponding to you. At least I have tried to explain why their acts were potentially dangerous, based on a knowledge of the industry, rather than just throw insults at others. I'm not sure whether your reponse is a reflection of your inability to intelligently discuss your point of view or you are just not prepared listen to any one elses opinion. Based on this you should fit right in with the majority of GP members that I've come across in recent years.

Now see what you made me do, throw in an insult, albeit a mild one, something I rarely do on line
Well come on the best you could do was the potential use of radio sensitive capped explosives and a hydro carbon release and this on a rig with an internal well head - if either of those were ever a possibility Greenpeace have a more valid point than ever
In the fullness of time
Old 29th October 2013, 07:56

Unless the Russkis have lifted their game, you can bet your testicle electrodes that one of their rigs would be a death trap with or without Greenpeace assistance.

John T
Old 29th October 2013, 08:58
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quote:
you can bet your testicle electrodes that one of their rigs would be a death trap
Yes, the Ruskies do seem to have a 'gung ho!' attitude.
A bottle of Voddie can fix anything
Old 29th October 2013, 11:12

Oh dear, we really are now scraping the barrel in the defence of the defenceless actions of GP. I don't think I need to say anything more, I have just tried to give examples of why GPs actions could have caused injury to others, all of which are valid, I'm sure there are many more examples but I shall not waste my time putting them forward.
At the end of the day, what GP did was illegal and they are being dealt with by the legal system of the country concerned.

I have nothing against GP protesting peacefully, even though I may not agree with them.
Old 29th October 2013, 11:33
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Unless the Russkis have lifted their game, you can bet your testicle electrodes that one of their rigs would be a death trap with or without Greenpeace assistance.

John T
John, is this some GP inspired biochemical pile for converting 'green' energy into electricity or have I tripped on reverse power? David V

Last edited by Varley; 29th October 2013 at 19:05..
Old 29th October 2013, 11:38

Quote:
Oh dear, we really are now scraping the barrel in the defence of the defenceless actions of GP. I don't think I need to say anything more, I have just tried to give examples of why GPs actions could have caused injury to others, all of which are valid, I'm sure there are many more examples but I shall not waste my time putting them forward.
At the end of the day, what GP did was illegal and they are being dealt with by the legal system of the country concerned.

I have nothing against GP protesting peacefully, even though I may not agree with them.
so very very true but they are in the long game and have got the publicity that they were after and woe behold the first company that has any major accident that is exacerbated by the harsh conditions of the polar extremes
Old 29th October 2013, 11:47

Give it a rest SM.

Greenpeace defied and broke the law by entering the exclusion zone ("trespass"). Added "reckless endangermet" by bouncing their boats off of platform towers and security boats. We now add more charges for firing grappling hooks onto platform and trying to climb the ropes to reach platform (while being resisted by fire hoses) before retreating to the support ship Arctic Sunrise. Arctic Sunrise and all aboard is just as guilty as those who entered the exclusion zone because they were "supporting" the attempted boarding.

That's breaks several laws. When we break the law we pay the price. There is no reason Greenpeace should be treated differently.

This in no way says I don't think Greenpeace is trying to do good and same the environment. It only points out that they broke the law in many ways.

I wish Sea Shepherd would try "saving the whales" in Russian waters.

Last edited by doyll; 29th October 2013 at 12:14..
Old 29th October 2013, 11:54

Where did I say they didn't break the law. It's the fact that so many on here are so happy about them getting arrested they liable to go blind that concerns me. But as Joe says they have got pretty much exactly what they wanted - something to ponder as the nurse puts your boxing gloves on
In the fullness of time