Oriana next to Queen Mary last voyage - Ships Nostalgia
22:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Oriana next to Queen Mary last voyage

User Tag List

Old 5th December 2013, 00:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1966 - 1968

Oriana next to Queen Mary last voyage

Hi there. I was on the Oriana tied up next to the Queen Mary when she left on her last voyage in 1967. Where you there too? I was a young 1st class winger at the time. Just joined this site. Any old mates out there? Martin O'Connor.
Old 5th December 2013, 08:08
Super Moderator

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Martin.

There was a reunion last month in Southampton for Oriana and other P&O and Princess ships. Hopefully, you will meet up with former shipmates
Old 5th December 2013, 10:01
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 5th December 2013, 11:03
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Martin,

welcome to SN. Enjoy all we have to offer.

Hawkey01
Old 5th December 2013, 18:57
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Martin,

Yet again, on behalf of the SN Moderators, thanks for your introduction and a warm welcome aboard from Anglesey.
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and will also get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.
Old 5th December 2013, 21:00

Oriana reunions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard Martin.

There was a reunion last month in Southampton for Oriana and other P&O and Princess ships. Hopefully, you will meet up with former shipmates
David.
Thanks for your welcome and reply. Excuse my ignorance but could you let me know who organises these reunions? It looks like you sailed on her shortly after me - a good old ship eh? I might try to make it to the next one if you can point me in the right direction.
One more thing - I'm a bit useless with computers and I keep getting a flashing box coming up saying I have 1 unread message, but I can't seem to open it. Any advice please?
Nice to see people indulging in a bit of nostalgia, suppose it comes with age!
Regards,
Martin
Old 5th December 2013, 22:06
Super Moderator

Martin

I will send you a Private Message with a couple of e-mail addresses.
Old 6th December 2013, 22:32
Active: 1974 - 1986

How strange, I am currently in Las Palmas. From my Hotel bedroom window I can see the Oriana in the port. When I got up this morning the Queen Mary 2 had arrived and was tied up on the other side of the jetty from the Oriana (I'm assuming it is the same Oriana from back then, the one I used to get stuck behind on the RT lists, she certainly looked dated alongside the QM2, but more stately ). I was surprised to see the Oriana was still around!

Bob

Last edited by Treborvfr; 6th December 2013 at 22:35..
Old 6th December 2013, 22:40

Yes. A bit spooky I suppose, but I was talking about the original Oriana and the old Queen Mary. Both now long out of service. Still a nice coincidence!
Old 6th December 2013, 22:46
Active: 1974 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin O'Connor View Post
Yes. A bit spooky I suppose, but I was talking about the original Oriana and the old Queen Mary. Both now long out of service. Still a nice coincidence!

Yes, I've just found out there was a second Oriana in a different thread, it shouldn't be allowed giving a ship the exact same name, it should be Oriana II, if only not to confuse people like me!
Mind you I should have realised, I know other companies re-use old names, BP, my old company, did for sure.

Bob
Old 6th December 2013, 22:57
Super Moderator

Bob

The Oriana you saw was lauched in 1994 making her maiden voyage in 1995. She is not the same Oriana that Martin is referring to. His Oriana was launched in 1959 making her maiden voyage in 1960.
Old 6th December 2013, 23:50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post

Yes, I've just found out there was a second Oriana in a different thread, it shouldn't be allowed giving a ship the exact same name, it should be Oriana II, if only not to confuse people like me!
Mind you I should have realised, I know other companies re-use old names, BP, my old company, did for sure.

Bob
Bob

I agree entirely. I worked aboard the 1954 built Arcadia, but although she was the second P&O ship with that name, there was only one Arcadia in my book. Since then there has been two more, the latest Arcadia going into service in 2005.
Old 24th December 2014, 11:22
Active: 1983 - 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treborvfr View Post
How strange, I am currently in Las Palmas. From my Hotel bedroom window I can see the Oriana in the port. When I got up this morning the Queen Mary 2 had arrived and was tied up on the other side of the jetty from the Oriana (I'm assuming it is the same Oriana from back then, the one I used to get stuck behind on the RT lists, she certainly looked dated alongside the QM2, but more stately ). I was surprised to see the Oriana was still around!

Bob

I can not believe you got the 1995 built Oriana mixed up with the 1960 built Oriana!