Cadet called Nicholls? - Ships Nostalgia
04:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cadet called Nicholls?

User Tag List

Old 18th February 2015, 05:12

Cadet called Nicholls?

I wondered if anyone remembers a deck cadet / uncert 3/O called Nicholls (have forgotten his first name).

We were up at South Shields doing Second Mate's in 1970. Unfortunately, when we visited the BoT in Gosforth, it transpired that he didn't have enough sea time, so BP sent him home, with orders to join a ship a few days later in Hamburg.

It was almost 3 years before I heard that he joined, but then was tragically killed in a road accident whilst ashore within a day or two.
Old 18th February 2015, 19:01
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey19a View Post
I wondered if anyone remembers a deck cadet / uncert 3/O called Nicholls (have forgotten his first name).

We were up at South Shields doing Second Mate's in 1970. Unfortunately, when we visited the BoT in Gosforth, it transpired that he didn't have enough sea time, so BP sent him home, with orders to join a ship a few days later in Hamburg.

It was almost 3 years before I heard that he joined, but then was tragically killed in a road accident whilst ashore within a day or two.
I might be able to help as I maintaina database of BP Navigating Apprentices 1948/85+. At present listed are two 'Nicholl' and two 'Nicholls' but all are listed as sailing past 1970.

Late 1969 to early 1970 there were a large number of U/3M's sailing and some are here on SN

When exactly did you meet him at South Shields in 1970, the reason for the question is that I would presume he left a ship then proceeded asap to attend college to sit his 2M's certificate. It is possible then to find a Nicholls as NA,U/3M ( even 3M ) prior to your meeting him as I have Ships Movements for all 1970.

I guess all Masters when showing crews for each month would not show an U/3M as a 3M?

There are no NA's or U/3M's named 'Nicholls' August 1969 or 1970. Their is an MJ Nicholls 3M on Fulmar August 1969 but relieved by a U/3M Dec 1969. Actually he is back on the Beacon Feb 1970 as 3M so it is very unlikely to be him ( with a SN member as 2M)

Graham
Old 20th February 2015, 08:31

Hi Graham,
We went to Shields in September of 1970 for 2/M. I remember that he had been sailing as U3/O for a while - sea time in that rank didn't count in full towards the 24 months needed, hence his recall to sea to top up his seatime.
Old 20th February 2015, 17:47

Quote:
Hi Graham,
We went to Shields in September of 1970 for 2/M. I remember that he had been sailing as U3/O for a while - sea time in that rank didn't count in full towards the 24 months needed, hence his recall to sea to top up his seatime.
I'm sorry I cannot find him at all even June /July 1970 as U/3M ( or even3M), actually there were only around 6 U/3M's listed in those months.

So you mentioned he had to go back to sea as U/3M to top up seatime ( I wonder how much and when he found out he did not have the required seatime?). I Looked in Jan and April 1971, no sign of him at all, though noticed some of the previous U/3M's were now listed as 3M.

Presumably he did eventually pass, IF he then returned back to BP ( Many did not) I might find him in late 1971, '72,'73. But that will have to be another day.

Seems as if I have struck out here ( looked thru late 1969, mid 70's and early 1971's), one last question, are you certain he was ex BP?

Graham
Old 20th February 2015, 17:49

Quote:

I forgot this statement, so he would not be in later months either!

Graham