British Ambassador - Ships Nostalgia
19:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

British Ambassador

User Tag List

Old 25th March 2015, 14:50

British Ambassador

While at the evening session of the BPS Centenary I heard a story about the British Ambassador having a flooded engine room and to try to solve the problem an engineer drilled holes through the ER Bulkhead into the Pump Room in order to use the stripping pump to remove the water. I have never heard of this event. I thought the only BPS vessel to suffer a flooded ER was the British Dragoon while alongside at Kwinana. Does anybody else know more about this event ?
Old 25th March 2015, 14:57
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

There is a thread already on the British Ambassador here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=52362n SN
Old 26th March 2015, 11:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
There is a thread already on the British Ambassador here https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=52362n SN
I have now read the full report that the 2/O made about this incident. I was sailing as a 2/E on the British Avon and British Liberty in 1974 and I can't understand why I didn't hear of this flooding / sinking. Possibly a daft question - but why didn't the engineers shut off the high / low sea suction valves. Yes, the ship would have been dead in the water, but at least safe.
Old 26th March 2015, 11:48
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jep1916 View Post
I have now read the full report that the 2/O made about this incident. I was sailing as a 2/E on the British Avon and British Liberty in 1974 and I can't understand why I didn't hear of this flooding / sinking. Possibly a daft question - but why didn't the engineers shut off the high / low sea suction valves. Yes, the ship would have been dead in the water, but at least safe.
If you read my comment in the other thread, It was my understanding that the crack was on the valve, on the inlet side were it bolted on to the ship's sea chest! Closing the valve wouldn't have accomplished anything !
Old 26th March 2015, 18:33

Had a similar incident on the Pioneer.
Stub pipe on ships side outboard of the valve failed.
In spite of the best efforts, cement box etc, water was still coming in .
By making use of all available pumps we steamed for two weeks to Las Palmas where divers put a patch on and a new stub pipe was fitted.
Quite scary as the pumps just maintained the level in the bilges, any further increase in leakage would have been disaster.
I paid off at Las Palmas, relieved was an understatement.
Old 27th March 2015, 16:45
Active: 1968 - 1986

When we flooded the water came in so fast we could not see where it was coming from, it was very much the case of the old engineers saying, "Shut the valve, what valve?, any ******* valve".
Old 27th March 2015, 18:18
Active: 1974 - 2013

Did here a story about this the steering flat drains with the self closing weighted valves had been removed so the steering flat flooded hence the reason the vessel sunk. But this was just a rumor that was going about I do remember we checked these on the Commerce to make sure these had not been removed